Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2011 Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Default 2011 Driveshaft

Anyone noticed the driveshaft on the new 2011 GT seems to be smaller than the older cars. Ive also been looking and although it may be hidden by the resonators and exhaust info sign I cant seem to see a mid-joint for a two piece. It certainly has large vibration dampers by the front and rear ujoints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR2wDZf479U
Old 03-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Galactic
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gene K
Anyone noticed the driveshaft on the new 2011 GT seems to be smaller than the older cars. Ive also been looking and although it may be hidden by the resonators and exhaust info sign I cant seem to see a mid-joint for a two piece. It certainly has large vibration dampers by the front and rear ujoints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR2wDZf479U
Mid joint is right at 42-45 seconds just look left of the sign
Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Thanks I see it now. I had to change the resolution and then enlarge it to be sure.

I was so hoping they had managed to fix that. Still with any luck maybe it is improved over the old piece.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Galactic
1st Gear Member

Thanks I see it now. I had to change the resolution and then enlarge it to be sure.

I was so hoping they had managed to fix that. Still with any luck maybe it is improved over the old piece.
Improved maybe, but I doubt it's lighter. Get it lighter and free up horsepower and reduce drivetrain loss.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:34 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

why are there resonators and mufflers.
if i had a 2011 those mufflers would come off and just run the resonators.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:23 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

^^ Either due to Governmental regulations, or because of what Ford thinks the public will like as far as exhaust sound. I'm sure many folks will do the same thing and take them off.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
why are there resonators and mufflers.
if i had a 2011 those mufflers would come off and just run the resonators.
Tubular Headers, Free Flow Cats, and Less Restrictive mufflers. Then use resonators to tone it down just enough to pass the noise standards, help eliminate excessive popping, trumpeting and drone.

I know everyone hates the skip shift but let me tell you what it allowed Ford to do. More HP while avoiding Gas Guzler, More factory gear, not harm CAFE as much allowing more GT's to be built. But it also allowed them to put a louder exhaust on the car. The way the Federal Accceleration Noise Test is run is you start out in 1st shift into the next higher gear (which will be 4th in this case) and floor the throttle. The much lower rpm in 4th makes much less noise than it would in 2nd at the same speed.

Skip Shift wont be as big a problem as you think as even with 3.31 2nd will be like the old 2nd with 4.10 gears. It makes it very easy to take off in second unless you are in party mode in which case you would be well past the "skip" range before shifting anyway. Of course mine will be disabled as soon as we figure out the exact proceeder but until then I think I can live with it.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

great, skip shift.
another upgrade that we have to spend money to disable.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

Bah, the skip shift eliminators for my Trans Ams were like 25 bucks, and ten minutes to install 10 years ago. No worries.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:54 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Tubular Headers, Free Flow Cats, and Less Restrictive mufflers. Then use resonators to tone it down just enough to pass the noise standards, help eliminate excessive popping, trumpeting and drone.

I know everyone hates the skip shift but let me tell you what it allowed Ford to do. More HP while avoiding Gas Guzler, More factory gear, not harm CAFE as much allowing more GT's to be built. But it also allowed them to put a louder exhaust on the car. The way the Federal Accceleration Noise Test is run is you start out in 1st shift into the next higher gear (which will be 4th in this case) and floor the throttle. The much lower rpm in 4th makes much less noise than it would in 2nd at the same speed.

Skip Shift wont be as big a problem as you think as even with 3.31 2nd will be like the old 2nd with 4.10 gears. It makes it very easy to take off in second unless you are in party mode in which case you would be well past the "skip" range before shifting anyway. Of course mine will be disabled as soon as we figure out the exact proceeder but until then I think I can live with it.

It already has tubular headers...

Quick Reply: 2011 Driveshaft