Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

20 inch rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:01 PM
RetroGT2006
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Snakebite64
20's = way to big = bling = pimp = ghetto = trailer park = wigger.
It is all your opinion, i would pay to see Carroll Shelby's face when you say this ridiculous statement to him.. It isn't like those "Donk" ****boxs you see, these are mustang rims and they look good.

As for the people asking/talking about performance. Going from my 18s to 20s i could feel a slight loss in performance. Have not run my car at the track yet on 20s, but i can almost promise i won't hit that 13.000 i have already hit and i know it won't run 12s which it is capable of.

Handling/road feel- it feels a lot better to me actually. It is not any harsher, and it did NOT lose ANY handling. Atleast not in the situations i have thrown at it. I run my car hard on the daily and am impressed on how she feels with my 20s on. I was hesitant to buy them because everyone on the internet talks so much junk about them even when they don't have them or even driven a car with them.

I say, go find someone you know with 20s and drive it and let me know what you think..
You also can always get 17s for track rims?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
Am I hearing you guys correctly? You think 20's look bad on S197's? Do you seriously mean to tell me that these wheels don't look good to you?...

I don't like 20's on an S197 because they don't allow sufficient sidewall. Those wheels DO look KILLER to me. They just look BAD WITH SUCH LITTLE SIDEWALL.

How many "clown cars" have you seen; those full size sedans with 20" or 22" (and larger) wheels and series 30 tires? Looks like something out of the movie Ben Hur. It makes me sad when someone is pushing their Stang's appearance in that direction.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:11 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

^^ Oh yea! Living in So Cal I see that shat all the time. I especially love the Suburbans with 22 (or whatever ridiculous size they use) rims, music blaring (with the windows down, who are they impressing?), driving 20mph in a 50, having to take dips sideways so they wont scrape bottom (and they still do) and smiling with those fake gold teeth in their mouths. Yea, good times, and they look like shat!

The looks of a car are made up by the styling and curves of the body. A car is sculpted the same way a work of art is. If that were not the case, they wouldn't pay artists to design cars. Bling does not a great car make! That being said, some big rims are beautiful, it's just that the proportions are off.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:43 PM
sadface
2nd Gear Member

saw this outside my aprt one morning was visiting a friend of his the black dude was like alittle over 5foot and he had a rope ladder to get in the car ( i really wish i was making that sh*t up) lambo doors on a 800 dollar car ftw and yes there is a ball sack hanging off the back

i would rather have more rubber then rim filling up the wheel well personally to each his own thou
Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 AM
gafireman
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sadface
saw this outside my aprt one morning was visiting a friend of his the black dude was like alittle over 5foot and he had a rope ladder to get in the car ( i really wish i was making that sh*t up) lambo doors on a 800 dollar car ftw and yes there is a ball sack hanging off the back
Sadface, that is hilarious! I may be in the minority here but I do like 20's(and some 19's) on the S197.(Of course, I am a little biased) To me, they fill up the fenderwells perfectly and they do not ride nearly as bad as some people say. I did feel a slight loss in power compared to the stock 17's, but the trade off is well worth it to me. Besides, I have a set of 17's with DR's for the track. But I will admit, anything smaller than a 35 series tire looks pretty silly. I say to each his own....Grafke, get whatever YOU think looks good.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Big 20" rims arent really conducive to drag racing at all. To me, they look goofy ona muscle car. Rubberband tires dont have enough sidewall.They dont make any decent tires either in 20", just Nittos drag radials and they are mediocre at best.
For looks 18" are good and they have lots of tire choices.
For performance go 15" for a huge selection of tires and slicks

Last edited by zkiller; 03-23-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:39 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

As said earlier, the design of the car is what's most important. The wheels should blend with the design, not overwhelm it. Just because Shelby makes large wheels, doesn't mean they look so great. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to let him know it. 18s and 19s at the most. After that the car becomes secondary to the wheels.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:43 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

I run 20s on my car and love them. While I can agree that huge wheels look ridiculous on cars I dont think 20s on our cars fit into that category
Old 03-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

I don't think they would sell so many sets of 20s if people didn't like em...I love mine! and the car has way more traction because i have a stag. setup...you can be happy with 18s or 19s and the choice of tire is just as good...keep in mind that most super cars have larger diameter rims...they just weigh less because they are made of supercar expensive parts. Check out Dymag's all carbon fiber wheel....talk about insane
Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

You know I hear lately you should try to stay as close to 27" diam. as possible, like mine 2010 w/ 19" wheels, I'm going from 19's to18's and here's the diff,
original diam. 27.68 in proposed diam. 26.66
my question is, why should I worry about that number if most stock s197's come w/ 18", wouldn't going to 18x10 275/40/18's on all 4 be acceptible for sidewall hieght?

Quick Reply: 20 inch rims