Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

C&L Racer intake owners. I NEED REAL HELP.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Angry C&L Racer intake owners. I NEED REAL HELP.

Got a problem.
The inlet tube that connects from right by the oil cap that goes to the intake is VERY loose.
To me this does not seem right. The end of the hose that connects to the intake itself is tight as a virgin but the other end I can just take off like it was NOTHING.

Here is the end I am talking about...

I am really worried something is going to cause that to come off.
it is SO LOOSE.
Is it supposed to be this way?
If not what the hell do I do?

Also on the instructions from C&L it says to pull on the underside of the green tab of the valve cover of the vent hose and slide the fitting over the pipe that is pressed into the inlet pipe at the throttle body end and release once a positive seal is made. Secure the hose clamps on the inlet pipe and check to make sure that everything is fastened and sealed.
As I said before the end that connects to the intake is SEALED good but this end has no way to secure it. The hose is not even made to fit tight!

WTF??? how do you SECURE the hose clamps in the intlet pipe?
Are they talking about a different part and not this hose? How the HELL am I supposed to secure this friggin thing?

Thanks for the help in advance. I am frustrated.
Also the damn heat sheild on this thing is a bitch to get right.
If the hood touches the rubber guards at the top of the shield and goes down pressing it all down a bit once the hood is closed will it hurt?
I can't get the damn thing ANY lower no matter how much adjusting I do.

Thanks again... grrrr..
Old 03-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

OH one more thing.

When I first start the engine the RPS will go up real fast then down like normal...the way they always have.
But now they stay at about 1k for 20 seconds and slowly get down to about almost 85% of 1k RPM. (which is what the tune is set for I believe)

Is it normal for it to stay at 1 for that long then go down? After it does that at the first startup it does not do it when I slow down or anything. Goes straight to the right idle RPM.

I noticed that my setup at first did not feel the UMPH I thought it would... found out the clamps that hold it to the Throttle body and the filter were not on good at ALL.
Funny thing is when they were like that earlier today the RPMs went to the .85 of 1k right away... but I was not getting the kick and feel NEARLY as good as I am now.

Which seems odd to me.

Is this the way it should be with the engine going down to 1k right after startup then slowly to the idle RPM after about 20 secs or is this something to worry about?
Like I said it ONLY happens on starting the car.

Thx.

Oh and my TB and MAF both looked clean btw. Very clean so I did not clean them.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:39 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Can you reuse the connectors off of the old hose or a hose clamp?........Mine does that with the brenspeed tune as well its never been an issue.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:56 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iluvmycar
OH one more thing.

When I first start the engine the RPS will go up real fast then down like normal...the way they always have.
But now they stay at about 1k for 20 seconds and slowly get down to about almost 85% of 1k RPM. (which is what the tune is set for I believe)

Is it normal for it to stay at 1 for that long then go down? After it does that at the first startup it does not do it when I slow down or anything. Goes straight to the right idle RPM.

I noticed that my setup at first did not feel the UMPH I thought it would... found out the clamps that hold it to the Throttle body and the filter were not on good at ALL.
Funny thing is when they were like that earlier today the RPMs went to the .85 of 1k right away... but I was not getting the kick and feel NEARLY as good as I am now.

Which seems odd to me.

Is this the way it should be with the engine going down to 1k right after startup then slowly to the idle RPM after about 20 secs or is this something to worry about?
Like I said it ONLY happens on starting the car.

Thx.

Oh and my TB and MAF both looked clean btw. Very clean so I did not clean them.
1. I have the Racer too. They provide you no way to secure that vacuum line. I don't worry about mine, I've never had a problem with it coming undone during driving. If yours is too loose (as in, it comes undone by itself), definitely get a small hose clamp from Advance or Autozone. Otherwise, don't give it a second thought. Admittedly, I'm not positive as to what this line is doing. At the risk of sounding like a dumbass, I will let someone with more than 5 minutes of automotive experience step in and clarify.

2. My startup is very similar to yours. After about 15-20 seconds, my RPMs dip below 1K, hovering at the 750 range. This is built into the tune and is nothing to worry about.

If you feel like the car is bogging or lagging with the tune, take 5 minutes to reload the tune. Very recently, I had to reload my tune because the car's acceleration was patheticly underwhelming. Fixed me right up. If you're not feeling the OOMPH, try that.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Thanks for the help. As I said the first install did not provide me with the oooomph.
And my idle was like it was stock at startup.

I think the loosness of the intake perhaps made a vaccum leak. And perhaps the tune did not load well the first time either. But now it runs great and I do feel the ooomph, make no mistake about it.

The hose has not come off by itself but I think I'll go buy a hoseclamp JUST in case.
that think seems like a updrift in wind would cause it to come off.

Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:32 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Well I need to make a correction.
This morning on first startup it actually took close to about 40 secs to a minute for that RPM needle to go down to 850.

Still normal or No and something to worry about now?
Old 03-27-2010, 12:05 PM
teedub
1st Gear Member

my car does that too once in a while. I never worried about it.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:56 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Vacuum leaks are bad, cause all kinds of weird issues. If you think there's any chance it leaks put a hose clamp on it.

Tim
Old 03-27-2010, 03:21 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Damn, just go buy a 50 cent hose clamp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C&L Racer intake owners. I NEED REAL HELP.