MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Clutch sounds like loose heat shield when cold (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/593164-clutch-sounds-like-loose-heat-shield-when-cold.html)

To D Lake 03-26-2010 10:58 AM

Clutch sounds like loose heat shield when cold

Okay, I have searched multiple forums on multiple sites and haven't found an answer that makes sense, yet :confused:.
I have an 05 GT 5-speed with stock clutch, 39,000 miles. When the car is cold (sits overnight), I have what sounds like a loose heat shield rattling at around 2300 rpms until the engine warms up. It is from the clutch area and will diminish somewhat if I depress the clutch pedal slightly. It will happen no matter what gear I am in and is worse if I am aggressive with the throttle. I have read about pressure plate springs, throwout bearings, pilot bearings and a few other things, but have yet to find anything that is the duplicate to what I'm hearing. The clutch feels fine. It is loud enough that the neighbors will look over when I drive by :icon_redface:. Normally within about 5 minutes of driving it goes away. It is worse when the weather is colder. Any ideas? Thanks!

Robb:icon_beerchug:

raredesign 03-26-2010 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by To D Lake (Post 6903917)
Okay, I have searched multiple forums on multiple sites and haven't found an answer that makes sense, yet :confused:.
I have an 05 GT 5-speed with stock clutch, 39,000 miles. When the car is cold (sits overnight), I have what sounds like a loose heat shield rattling at around 2300 rpms until the engine warms up. It is from the clutch area and will diminish somewhat if I depress the clutch pedal slightly. It will happen no matter what gear I am in and is worse if I am aggressive with the throttle. I have read about pressure plate springs, throwout bearings, pilot bearings and a few other things, but have yet to find anything that is the duplicate to what I'm hearing. The clutch feels fine. It is loud enough that the neighbors will look over when I drive by :icon_redface:. Normally within about 5 minutes of driving it goes away. It is worse when the weather is colder. Any ideas? Thanks!

Robb:icon_beerchug:

I have had what sounds like the same issue since I purchased the car 28k miles ago. Every time I take it to the dealer, they say they could not replicate the problem.

dysan 03-26-2010 02:21 PM

If it's mainly happening when cold, it's more than likely the separator plate between the trans bell housing and the block. It's known to rattle and mine use to alot and still does occasionally. I had some small silicone hose from my rc car lying around that I split in half and put in between the metal and that just about took care of it.

darkhorse46 03-27-2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by raredesign (Post 6904042)
I have had what sounds like the same issue since I purchased the car 28k miles ago. Every time I take it to the dealer, they say they could not replicate the problem.

This issue is addressed in TSB 09-18-16. The fix is a revised separator plate, which of course involves removing the transmission.

ski 03-28-2010 11:33 AM

Did you check the bell housing dust cover for loose/missing bolts?
If those are ok, then remove the dust cover, install rubber insulators between the shield and the cover, and reinstall the bolts.

BruceH 03-28-2010 11:47 AM

To D Lake 03-29-2010 09:02 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'll Try playing with the plate and see what happens.

Robb:icon_toast:

shooter23 03-30-2010 07:25 AM

Fords fix to my transmission (same problem - rattling noise about 2500rpm) was to put some silicone between the housing and the plate - visible from underneath the car. It fixed my problem, although i was not extremely happy about the fix, becuase under warranty, I was expecting to have the plate replaced, it did however fix my problem.

I dont have that car anymore, but i do remember the embarassing rattling noise.