Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple snout seal installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

apparently whipple will send you a new snout no matter how out of warranty you are....at least that is what has been reported so far. not me though, i had to purchase a new snout. good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 PM
ytix
1st Gear Member

How much did they charge you, hammeron?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:45 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

an arm and a leg

seriously it's too embarrasing to say how much.....
Old 07-11-2010, 09:57 PM
ytix
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the same courtesy offered to other guys and gals. My snout seal is, as of this moment, doing its job but my supercharger oil recently became opaque and stinky so I swapped it out after 15,000 miles. When I need a new snout, I hope you don't mind if I bitch to them a little bit about your case.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:35 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it's all good......i love my whipple and even though i got the shaft, i still wouldn't trade it for any other unit.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem with my Kenne Bell.. First they sent me a new snout and I replaced it, but it was leaking again a week later. Then they sent me a new double lip seal they made, with some extra oil, and I did the same thing - pulled the snout and pulled the seal out, set the new one in, and then reinstalled the snout. Since then, no oil leak.

The first time I spotted oil it was all over the intake manifold and I thought for sure that the oil had come from under the supercharger. I don't know if it is different on the Whipple, but in the KB the only place oil resides is in the front gear box, and it is sealed from the rotors. If any oil did come from the body of the supercharger, it would indicate a crack in the gear box, something very unlikely with either brand. Plus if that were the case, you would be seeing some smoke out the exhaust as you burned the oil.

In other words - if you are losing supercharger oil, even if you see some residue on the manifold or around plugs or injectors, it probably came from the front seal on the snout. Just reach under the snout and if you come up with oil, that proves it.

It's awesome that Whipple is taking care of those out of warranty.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

When I did the snout change my oil also went black. Sorry to jump in but anybody know why this would happen?
Old 07-16-2010, 08:30 PM
solidsnakegt89
1st Gear Member

ive been having a small leak from my whipple and called them up about it because i cant seem to find any oil leakage from the snout. Whipple said it could be leaking internally and that i might have to send the whole unit in for fixin.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

I just replaced the front seal so hopefully no more leaky snout. I did refill the oil to the half way point now when I turn th pulley the oil level shoots up to about 3/4 of the way fill I dont recall that happening before. Did I over fill? I need to know before I start the car in the morning.

Should I change to a smaller pulley,10 psi to 12psi, without a tune?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:05 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by solidsnakegt89
ive been having a small leak from my whipple and called them up about it because i cant seem to find any oil leakage from the snout. Whipple said it could be leaking internally and that i might have to send the whole unit in for fixin.
Same with me. It's leaking internally into the engine.

Frank

Quick Reply: Whipple snout seal installation