Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Freaked out over Tuner

Old 04-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder
This isnt the proper place to talk about that. All he asked was for some help on the tuner. He didnt ask for a moral lesson. god people are old farts these days.
No he asked how he can "convince" his father to allow him to get a tune, and that it's "safe" and not going to be a problem with the warranty.
He did not ask for some help on the tuner.
"Kids" these days, they can't even comprehend what they read (that may be part of the dumbing down of American's with all the illegals we school on our dimes these days, but that's a whole different story. )
Oh and btw, I ain't "old" or even close to it. :lol:
Old 04-06-2010, 03:52 PM
dadnpony
1st Gear Member

Why do you feel you need a Tune ? That car is pretty quick the way it is.Are you racing your car for big money ? Are you racing other cars stop light to
stop light ? Is it your daily driver ? ask yourself these questions when doing
certain mods. LOL
Old 04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dadnpony
Why do you feel you need a Tune ?
Well the answer for the rest of us is this: Isn't fun, baby, and that's why we bought the car.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by gipht1
the only problem i see with the tuner is that it compares to weed! it is the gateway drug to more mods and once you pop that tune in and see how much better the response is, you WILL want to mod more.

Sorry but that comparison was just freakin great!
Very true too.

4.10's are next for me in my long line of plans.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Slickvic_
1st Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke

Sorry but that comparison was just freakin great!
Very true too.

X2. That is what he really needs to be concerned with.

Once you toke on the Mod Crakpipe, their aint no turning back.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
wantgt
1st Gear Member

Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.

This is illegal.

Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.

When a vehicle is purchased new and the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an expressed warranty - an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time. Beyond the expressed warranty, the vehicle manufacturer is often held responsible for further implied warranties. These state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards. However, in both cases, the mere presence of aftermarket parts doesn't void the warranty.

There are also two emission warranties (defect and performance) required under the clean air act. The defect warranty requires the manufacturer to produce a vehicle which, at the time of sale, is free of defects that would cause it to not meet the required emission levels for it's useful life as defined in the law. The performance warranty implies a vehicle must maintain certain levels of emission performance over it's useful life. If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer must make repairs at no cost to the owner, even if an aftermarket part is directly responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the performance warranty. This protection is the result of a parts self - certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).

In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the consumer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.

Overall, the laws governing warranties are very clear. The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an an aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:34 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Wow, that's a great post.

The one thing to remember, though, is any dealer can still refuse to work on the car because of the aftermarket parts -- though the warranty remains intact.

I had one dealer refuse service on an unrelated matter solely because I put in a 4.10 rear end gear -- no other modifications done (at that time). The exact quote from the Service Manager: "I'm not touching that car." He then told me to take it back to the place I bought it from or to the shop that put in the gear.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 AM
wantgt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
Wow, that's a great post.

The one thing to remember, though, is any dealer can still refuse to work on the car because of the aftermarket parts -- though the warranty remains intact.

I had one dealer refuse service on an unrelated matter solely because I put in a 4.10 rear end gear -- no other modifications done (at that time). The exact quote from the Service Manager: "I'm not touching that car." He then told me to take it back to the place I bought it from or to the shop that put in the gear.
That my friend is also illegal. That ties in directly to the Magnuson-moss Act.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:01 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wantgt
That my friend is also illegal. That ties in directly to the Magnuson-moss Act.

I have been debating writing a letter to the dealership and/or Ford about this. Since you seem to know much about the Magnuson-moss Act, can you point me in the write direction on where such a denial of service is specifically forbidden?

Sorry, OP, for the slight thread hijack.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 PM
wantgt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
I have been debating writing a letter to the dealership and/or Ford about this. Since you seem to know much about the Magnuson-moss Act, can you point me in the write direction on where such a denial of service is specifically forbidden?

Sorry, OP, for the slight thread hijack.
You would be surprised what you can get accomplished by telling the ford manager that you are prepared to go to court for violations under the said act. They know the rules by heart but don't expect most consumers to know it as well. But anyone who is serious about modding should know it back and forth as well.