Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dad's Birthday Gift... Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Maddog10

Default Dad's Birthday Gift... Need Help

Hey guys. Lurker here that finally decided to jump into the action... First off, my dad has a 2005 Mustang GT automatic (yea I know, I pushed for the manual too but , and I am looking to get him some aftermarket goodies for his upcoming birthday. He has already installed a cold air intake (K&N I think) and has the tuner, but I'm wanting to get him something new to throw on there. I am only 19 and am currently a college student, so it's not like I'm rolling in the dough, but I'm doing alright and can afford to get him something fairly nice. I have been reading up on some of the mods but am just looking for a few more opinions.

As of right now, I'm looking into getting him a Steeda Underdrive Pulley. Seems like you guys are noticing reasonable gains from these and they don't seem to be too expensive. I would like to get him something that he's going to notice a difference, though it may be small, once it is installed but at the same time I don't want to risk the reliability of the motor or tranny too much. I was just wondering how you guys felt about these UDP's and was wondering if you had any other suggestions that you think might be better. Thanks so much for the help guys!
Old 04-04-2010, 02:26 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Depends on your budget and what your dad likes to do. If it were me, and I had a few hundred to spend, I'd probably set him up with a track day at the local track with some pro drivers to show him what his car is really capable of.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Maddog10

That's certainly something to keep in mind. I tell him he babies his car. He doesn't drive it as much as he should IMO. He mainly just takes it to work or out for a cruise on nice days, and doesn't really "get on it" too much. He does every once in a while, but not too much. He was looking through a magazine the other day and mentioned that he thinks he would like to have a UDP, so that's when the thought registered with me. He also mentioned a hood scoop but I think I'm gonna leave that one to him if he decides to go that route... IMO a track day would be awesome! I was just wondering more about actual aftermarket parts.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:44 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I didnt think K&Ns flowed enough air over OEM to require a tuner?
Maybe get him a CAI/TUNER package and see his eyes light up
when he feels the extra 25-30HPs...

If you detailed the heck out of the 05 GT and I mean
everything from the wheel wells to the area round the trunk,
door jambs, yes under the doors as well, remove the rims
and clean the back insides, rotate them as well, engine compartment
cleaning, remove items from the trunk that are not used and spiff it
up a little, vacuum, get in there with a toothbrush and make it look
brand new off the lot with a nice two stage wash, detar, debug, hand
paste wax.
I mean you mention being 19 and short on the cash, put some sweat
equity into it and pops will like it even more than if you just threw
some $$ at it.
A clean stang will do its job everytime he drives it.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Maddog10

I may be wrong about the K&N. I'm not sure if that is the correct brand or not but I do know that he has a tuner... Cleaning it for him is a great idea, but I kinda wanna get him something too. I race motocross, and he has sacrificed so much over the years to let me be able to compete at a high level, and I feel like returning the favor. I know I can't pay him back for all that, but I'm alright with spending around $500 or so to get him something he'll like.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:29 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Well, 500 a nice budget.

Here's my first question, does he race? If so, there's plenty to do. I don't have UDP, however, I just got 4.10 gears, and there a blast! I really think the car should of game w/ these gears plus a 6th gear. I'm looking into control arms also to help reduce my wheel hop next.

I also don't recall you saying he has a exhaust, and that's the first thing I did. Even if he doesn't want a loud car, there's a some many better sounding systems then a stock one. So this is what I would STRONGLY recommend if he still has a stock one. You don't make power, but its once of those things I believe really makes your car that much more enjoyable.

The other thing I would recommend second from exhaust if your dad not a big racer is wheels if he has not done that yet. I'm not into 20's or anything, but I bet if he still has the stock 17s, there prob pretty beat up by now.