Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Korea01

Default Cold Air Intake

i dont know anything about them so whats a good one to put in my 06 GT
Old 04-07-2010, 09:35 PM
bojanglesowner07252
2nd Gear Member

anyone that requires a tune is good...JLT, C&L, steeda and a few more. I just ordered the jlt cold air intake tuner combo from american muscle : ) putting it in tomorrow. Everyone says it really wakes up your car, but thats mostly the tune so dont just buy the cold air intake by itself or you will be dissapointed.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:48 AM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

the tune is what gets you your power.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:59 AM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Default Bojangles is right

The JLT Cold Air Intake won the award in an article that I read entitled the "Intake Shootout". I am actually thinking of taking my K&N Cold Air Intake out and putting in a JLT. Bojangles is right. I bought the SCT X-Calibrator2 because there is really no point to buying a really nice intake and not tuning it (flashing the ECU). "Mustang Monthly" published an excellent article about the importance of the ECU. I copied and pasted it here:

Engine Enhancements
You can't talk about '05-'06 horsepower enhancements without discussing the new, much-advanced, Spanish Oak processor, which is a bit of a double-edged sword for Mustang performance fans. On one hand, the new computer is the reason the 281ci V-8 produces 300 hp while meeting emissions and fuel economy standards. As Orlando points out, a stock '05-'06 GT with five-speed manual transmission makes 273 rear-wheel horsepower, or about the same as a naturally-aspirated '87-'93 5.0 Mustang with all the tricks, such as aftermarket intake, heads, and exhaust. On the other hand, the Spanish Oak computer is so advanced that small changes, like altering the intake air flow with a performance filter, can throw it out of calibration, even sending the engine into "limp-home" mode. "It's infinitely more advanced than previous Mustang computers," Orlando told us. "It has many more capabilities as far as what it monitors, how fast it monitors, and how often it monitors."

What this means is that the average hot-rodder, the guy who installs cold air kits and exhaust systems in his driveway, is going to need a hand-held flash tuner, like the XCalibrator from Superchips Custom Tuning or the DiabloSport Predator, to modify the calibrations. "It's now a package deal," Orlando says.

"The average guy can install anything we sell. But unlike in the past, now we sell a cold-air kit with a computer flash to go with it. There's not a lot anyone can do without reflashing the computer." Bottom line: Any modification that's big enough to make a noticeable difference in performance will need a retune.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions I'd be glad to help you out. Enjoy your stang.
-Chris
Old 04-08-2010, 02:15 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Like the others have said, but something that requires a tune. Buy a combo package. I got mine from brenspeed, jlt cai and tune. Best money I have spent on the car. Huge difference from stock. So much better. Spins em hard going into second and third gear with the auto trans.

patrick
Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 AM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

i've got an 07 GT and i was lookin at the Ford Racing Bullitt Intake & SCT X3 Intake Tuner Package...anybody have any info on that, or is the JLT wit a tune better?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:32 AM
08droptop
2nd Gear Member

I installed the JLT 110mm carbon fiber CAI last week, along with my Brenspeed tune. I checked with Brenspeed before ordering the 110mm, because I was worried it may be too big since I don't have many mods. They told me it would be fine. I have researched on the forum a ton about CAI's, everyone says get the one you like the looks of, because they are all the same performance. Brenspeed said basically the same thing during my conversations on the phone and by email. I got the 110mm due to looks, and was a little disappointed with performance. I asked Brenspeed why this was, and they said the bigger CAI will give "less bite out of the bottom end". I wish they would have told me this before I bought it, because I was between the JLT and the Bullitt, I may have gone the other way. So, FYI, the JLT looks bad ***, but will give you less bottom end, which is what I was kinda hoping for when I bought it.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Rob72
1st Gear Member

I would stick with JLT. It is inexpensive, everyone writes tunes for it and the 89mm maf is bigger than the C and L which is nice if you decide to add cams in the future. You may find yourself limited in who has dyno'ed and wrote tunes for a FRPP cai. As for 08droptop, now you need to work on getting some cams to take advantage of that 110 maf so that thing will roar.lol!

Last edited by Rob72; 04-08-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:55 PM
08droptop
2nd Gear Member

yeah, I wish, what's a set of cams cost, and then install?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 PM
jamesgribley
1st Gear Member

I think you would be remiss if you did not check out

tunableinduction.com

Their kit is less expensive, SIMPLE, BIG and includes a Green Filter....check em out....you can buy their combo with a tune from Mike at Unique....or you can tell AM/BAMA tunes that you have a TI or DeMolet intake and they get you a tuner/tune combo for this CAI.

Their support is great and their kit is too...the combo I got was their CAI and their tune and it woke my '10 GT up!! chirps tires between 1-2 and the sound of the car has improved too...

See my link in my sig for my install of the TI CAI

Last edited by jamesgribley; 04-08-2010 at 08:35 PM.