Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone have problems going from second to third under hard acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:03 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Default Anyone have problems going from second to third under hard acceleration?

I have been meaning to post this for a few weeks now and i keep forgetting. i have noticed on a few occasions when i am WOT and go to shift from second to third the change is very hard to make. I'm talking gear grinding and stuff. I've been driving a stick for years so its not a noob mistake, i never had that problem with my 05. it seem like sometimes the car just doesn't want to go into third at high rpm. Everything seems fine at 3k or under, get up in the the 4-6k range and missing the shift is very easy to do even taking your time. anyone else seeing this, i seem to recall a TSB on some of the 05's for a similar issue with torque straps if I recall. Just wondering if its an issue for anyone else or maybe i just suck
Old 04-08-2010, 12:54 PM
jasezero
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
I have been meaning to post this for a few weeks now and i keep forgetting. i have noticed on a few occasions when i am WOT and go to shift from second to third the change is very hard to make. I'm talking gear grinding and stuff. I've been driving a stick for years so its not a noob mistake, i never had that problem with my 05. it seem like sometimes the car just doesn't want to go into third at high rpm. Everything seems fine at 3k or under, get up in the the 4-6k range and missing the shift is very easy to do even taking your time. anyone else seeing this, i seem to recall a TSB on some of the 05's for a similar issue with torque straps if I recall. Just wondering if its an issue for anyone else or maybe i just suck
I didnt want to bring this up because I felt like a newb the couple times it's happened...but yeah i have had the same issue...seems harder to get into third properly when really getting on it. Grinded 3rd twice now... =(
Old 04-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

I don't recall having this problem, but in the name of science I will attempt to duplicate this event today. Did I mention it would be strictly for science?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:16 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Has happened to me too maybe a 2010 thing? But only at WOT.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:26 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by conejo172
Has happened to me too maybe a 2010 thing? But only at WOT.
Yep exactly what I am talking about. Like I siad there was a tsb for the same issue on the 05 cars. They had to add some sort of torque straps. The problem then was the motor moving so much the shifter couldn't get the car into gear.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:33 PM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

http://www.cheperformance.com/CartGenie/prod-208.htm

Old 04-08-2010, 02:47 PM
VA Raptor

I missed 3rd a few times, but have since added a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and no more issues.

The K member brace above should help with the stock shifter as well if you're not looking to replace the shifter.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:51 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

So do u have this issue? Did that part fix it for u?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:53 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VA Raptor
I missed 3rd a few times, but have since added a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and no more issues.

The K member brace above should help with the stock shifter as well if you're not looking to replace the shifter.
Yeah I'm planning to get a mgw shifter eventually.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:21 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Yeah i got the same problem the shift is to long a throw. its the major reason why i'm gonna invest in a short throw shifter....

Quick Reply: Anyone have problems going from second to third under hard acceleration?