Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT vs Shelby GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:21 PM
jtcray50

Default GT vs Shelby GT

Probably a dumb question, but wanted to know if there are any major performance/engine differences between a 4.6 gt and a Shelby gt (automatic) or is it all mostly cosmetic differences....
thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 03:55 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

you'd probably have better luck in the S197 section but you're lucky because i used to own one. You are correct, the main differance is appearance and the Shelby name. IMO not worth the extra money at all. They do come with Ford Racing cold air intake and maybe a differant exhaust but thats pretty much it performance wise. Step up to a Shelby GT500 and its a 5.4l supercharged engine. Hope that helps
Old 04-08-2010, 04:21 PM
jtcray50

Default thanks...helps a lot

Originally Posted by 5SPD07GT
you'd probably have better luck in the S197 section but you're lucky because i used to own one. You are correct, the main differance is appearance and the Shelby name. IMO not worth the extra money at all. They do come with Ford Racing cold air intake and maybe a differant exhaust but thats pretty much it performance wise. Step up to a Shelby GT500 and its a 5.4l supercharged engine. Hope that helps
I had just purchased a very low mileage gt and a shelby gt with low mileage became available and I was thinking of going that route, but just wondered if there were any real engine differences. I didn't think so....thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 05:00 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

no problem
Old 04-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...Moved! ...hope you get better results here!

GL
Old 04-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

It has a superior suspension as well
Old 04-09-2010, 11:03 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

A kid @ my college has one. Its a nice looking car, however, Its just FordRacing Perf Parts on it. It pretty much the FRPP power pack which is a crappy tune, intake w/ nicer mufflers and Maybe a xpipe. It has the FRPP "handling" package which lowers the car a little. Other wise the motor is the same, the crappy stock brakes are still on there. O and a Hurst Shifter is also on there.

If you can get a deal on it, go for it. Other wise modd the GT or shop for a GT500 if you can afford it. I think I've seen them for about 30g now w/ low miles.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
nite
3rd Gear Member

if you're getting a good deal (say 2K above the cost of the gt), then I'd say go for it. the frpp suspension is great setup (upgraded sways, springs, shocks/struts), and the cross brace may not do much performance-wise, but it sure looks really nice. on top of that, you get the frpp axelback, which comes with an excellent set of mufflers/4" tips, and 18" wheels (no hurst with an auto). though most consider the frpp power package a joke, it does provide an additonal 15 hp over stock. none of this takes into account the fact that it's a real shelby, built very similarly to the gt350's back in the day, so again, if they're not asking much more than the gt, the sgt is definitely a worthy purchase.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:05 AM
jtcray50

Default thank

Originally Posted by nite
if you're getting a good deal (say 2K above the cost of the gt), then I'd say go for it. the frpp suspension is great setup (upgraded sways, springs, shocks/struts), and the cross brace may not do much performance-wise, but it sure looks really nice. on top of that, you get the frpp axelback, which comes with an excellent set of mufflers/4" tips, and 18" wheels (no hurst with an auto). though most consider the frpp power package a joke, it does provide an additonal 15 hp over stock. none of this takes into account the fact that it's a real shelby, built very similarly to the gt350's back in the day, so again, if they're not asking much more than the gt, the sgt is definitely a worthy purchase.
I apreciate the feedback...it was very helpful..
Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Let us know how much their asking for the GT/SGT...

Quick Reply: GT vs Shelby GT