Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oil catch tank Q

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:33 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default Oil catch tank Q

It seems to me that an oil catch tank is, well, a oil catch tank. Some are big, some are small, some are glass, some are alloy.

There isn't much space under my hood for a big ornate catch tank, and I have to maintain the PCV system to satisfy "the man", so open breathers are out.

Sniffing round on the dreaded Ebay there are a bunch available and the prices vary massively between 'similar' products.

Does anyone have any experience with this item? I've seen them available by a number of companies for a number of prices. I know they don't have any baffles or filters in and rely solely on the fact that most of the oil will settle in the tank by choice as opposed to being trapped.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Elspa
1st Gear Member

They don't have any filters, they relly on condensation, but they do their job well, I'm using one my 07 GT and on my 02 Subaru STI.
They do trap oil and the intake is clean. You will need better hardware though, since the hoses and stuff that comes with the kit are crap.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:07 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Sprung for one like this in the end.
I welded a 'proper' bracket to my air filter housing tonight on which to mount the can, the paint is drying on that right now. Tomorrow I'll fit the catch can and measure the required PCV pipe runs so I can go get some quality hose instead of using the cheesy crap all these guys seem to include with their bottles.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
I welded a 'proper' bracket to my air filter housing tonight on which to mount the can, the paint is drying on that right now. Tomorrow I'll fit the catch can and measure the required PCV pipe runs so I can go get some quality hose instead of using the cheesy crap all these guys seem to include with their bottles.

The good stuff is pcv rated. Cost me $2 per foot but was worth it. The other stuff didn't contain the pcv vapors, it was noticeable while driving.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

I use AN -10 Aeroquip pushlock. The price is worth it for any good hose.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:31 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Got it installed. Space is really at a premium in the motor bay what with the Whipple hogging space so I ended up welding a bracket to the Whipple Airbox and squeezing it between the airbox and the ABS distribution block
Found just a hint of oil in the existing PCV lines and the throttle body is clean as a whistle. Still, no harm installing the catch tank, the motor will only breath heavier as it gets older right.....

Last edited by marcuskeeler; 04-14-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:43 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

That "cheesy" hose supplied looks like Tygon tubing. That's good stuff and better than plain rubber.

The chemical resistance and physical properties vary among the different formulations, but the tubing generally is considered so resistant to chemical attack that it will handle practically any chemical.

Edit: BTW, nice install.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:47 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by incorrigible
That "cheesy" hose supplied looks like Tygon tubing. That's good stuff and better than plain rubber.

The chemical resistance and physical properties vary among the different formulations, but the tubing generally is considered so resistant to chemical attack that it will handle practically any chemical.

Edit: BTW, nice install.

Yea I was a bit harsh saying that, to be fair, that hose is probably well capable of routing the fumes and keeping smells contained. It's just the whole Ricey see-thru thing which turns me off, plus the fact that any oil which does travel along it will make it look like crap
Old 04-14-2010, 02:35 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Looks great Marcus!
Old 04-14-2010, 02:44 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

It seems to me that an oil catch tank is, well, a oil catch tank. Some are big, some are small, some are glass, some are alloy.

There isn't much space under my hood for a big ornate catch tank, and I have to maintain the PCV system to satisfy "the man", so open breathers are out.

Sniffing round on the dreaded Ebay there are a bunch available and the prices vary massively between 'similar' products.

Does anyone have any experience with this item? I've seen them available by a number of companies for a number of prices. I know they don't have any baffles or filters in and rely solely on the fact that most of the oil will settle in the tank by choice as opposed to being trapped.

Stefs - model# 5122

Quick Reply: Oil catch tank Q