Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

yet another person in the market for a supercharger...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:13 AM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

Default yet another person in the market for a supercharger...

hello all,

its been about a good year since i've done any modifications to the stang (i've been trying to continuously save/research FI)

in doing so, i have come to the conclusion: i am more confused than ever.

I'm trying to be the most cost effective as possible in my decision. With a stock bottom end I dont want a high powered system, and with a stock clutch, i cant have a high torque one (the stock clutch is rated at around 500?)...

I think i've read in places that some forced induction set ups dont like cams (albeit mine is mild...) is that more turbos, centri, or TS?

I think my search is narrowed to the brenspeed paxton 2200sl, saleen vi, or an e-force... does anybody have any more personable advice in deciding between these?
i currently have 4.10s, id like to not have to go through the hassle of getting new ones/having them installed (granted my shop I go to might swap them for 3.55s if they have a set left over..id just pay install)...

id love 450-475whp, if thats realistic? and low 12s...

any advice would be much appreciated! i know FI is a slippery slope when it comes to reliability, but id like to find a nice mid point between reliable and enjoyable =] [as well as what could result in me wasting the ****ole showing off with his s/c WS6 by my campus...]
Old 04-22-2010, 10:34 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

I dont think it affects reliability at all. My car always starts and always runs fine. Even if it is parked for weeks or months.
Maybe longevity is shortened with a supercharger, but if you aren't in the boost all the time it should be fine.
Ive been blown for 4 years and my car runs just like a factory stock car EXCEPT when you hit the GO pedal.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The general consensus seems to be that the whipple is your best bet regarding "reliability" when run with the whipple tune and kept at or under 10psi.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:46 AM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Being that you have a tuner and other mods already you're best bet might be to contact Edelbrock, they have a "tuner" kit where you can piece together the appropriate parts such as hand held tuner, etc..... The Whipple H.O. kit is a great but too much if you want to minimize wear and tear on parts like the clutch especially if you tend to drive "enthusiastically" . Also with cams and bigger TB you will need a custom tune regardless to get the most out of her. My $0.02
Old 04-22-2010, 12:00 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

just installed the Vortech V3 non-intercooled and suprised to see how much like stock it is when just cruising and under the power curve. Made the mistake of flooring it around 35 merging (onto an empty highway of course), and nearly went sideways lol

great power when you need it, very mellow when just cruising. If you want instant throttle I'd get a TS, but be aware it's gonna be more stress on your drivetrain with all that power on tap/instant...
Old 04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

Alternative thought
Looking at your mods I would consider a 75-100 shot of nitrous instead of supercharging. You would save around 5K and have about same horsepower. I love my KB, but I put mine on before all the new cams , intakes and stroker kits came out

http://www.brenspeed.com/zexinstall.html
Old 04-22-2010, 02:27 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys, i thought about a tuner kit myself, and just adding parts as i go, but i heard that becomes more expensive?

i never really thought much into nitrous, and it obviously is cheaper. the brenspeed zex @ 125 shot would work amazingly (150-175 might be too much for my set up, no?) I could install it myself in a couple hours and then dyno it later... how much does it generally cost to refill the bottle?..

oh and in the long long run, using a 75-175 shot with a supercharger, good or bad on a stock motor?