Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Costs of Lojack?

Old 08-02-2005, 07:29 PM
brchan
1st Gear Member

Default Costs of Lojack?

Hi Everyone,

Well, the dealer says that my Mustang GT will come in this Monday.
I'm going to get the Lojack recovery system (most likely the early warning system).
I know the retail price is around $700 for the basic and around $1000 for the early warning. I tried to call Lojack but they refused to quote me a price becuase the dealer has first "dibs" on me.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much they paid for their Lojack system. It's something I know I'll have to haggle with the finance person and I just want to be prepared.
If it helps, I live in the Los Angeles area.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan
Old 08-02-2005, 08:40 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Costs of Lojack?

I'm also in the LA area. I think the price was $600 for basic and $800 for additional coverage. Basically, if they don't recover your car and you have the $800 option, they give you $5,000.
My memory might be a little off, but that sounds about right.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:28 AM
SpdSurfn

I got mine for $600 (on the basic package) from the dealer. He took off $100.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Things to keep in mind:

I got the dealer, Galpin Ford, to lower the price to $595. I didn't get the Early Warning ($395 MSRP), the Extended Recovery Warranty ($149), the Guarantee Plus 500 ($200) nor the LoJack Alarm ($300).
If you go with it they also suggest an inspection ($69) every 2 years.
As a warning- They say you require an inspection if the car has any new electrical equipment or if any equipment has been repaired! So if I have Ford replace my Shaker 500 I will need to fork out for an inspection or void my warranty!
Of course I don't know how they'd tell... Guess I'll wait 2 years if I decide to install a different stereo.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:45 AM
brchan
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Orion_240, the dealership I'm supposed to pick up my order from is Galpin too! Thanks for the heads up on that inspection loophole.

Brchan
Old 08-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Dragonscales

Their prices are about accurate.

When I was getting my mustang I had some hiccups with the dealer so they put the Lojack on for $300. They just came to my house a week ago and installed it.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:41 AM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

you guys are nuts...
don't waste your money on a theft recovery system unless you've got an acura integra or a civic si!

I work for one of the largest insurance companies in a big city...Denver...
I'm a claims adjuster...and believe it or not I was the exclusive fire and theft rep for the entire denver metro area from jan-july '04..yeah I was pretty busy...
anyway, in all that time I didn't have 1 single mustang...not 1! I did have tons of integras and civic si's. Also had numerous Jeep Cherokees (not Grand Cherokee) (i think they're just easy to steal) and believe it or not a lot of dodge neons too (again just easy to steal for the local gangbangers to "prove" themselves)

now before you start yelling at me...

I'm not saying your mustang will never get stolen...AND
lojack is a good service and they return TONS of stolen cars and millions of dollars in goods no doubt...
BUT I can tell you this...

you're spending a lot of money ($1000 or so) for a very very VERY small risk...totally not worth it, afterall that's why you pay so much for insurance!
and really, if some grabasstic punk is driving around in your car...do you really want it back? Hopefully it'll be gone long enough for your insurance to pay you for your car, then it gets recovered and your insurance has to deal with it.

I did not purchase the Lojack from my dealer when I brought my 05GT home...and i'm fairly certain that 99.9% of you new GT owners will never have your GT stolen.....again not saying it can't happen.

Ford ALSO makes electronically encoded keys for your car...can't be started w/o the two you got from the dealer; and it's more than just a kill switch. Go pick up a key from your dealer (that fits your car obvsiously) and it won't start until you program it to your ecm.

Don't get me wrong...Lojack and other systems like it can be good...it's just ANOTHER piece of insurance...IMO however it's just a lot of money for a very very minimal risk.

Actually, my dealer wanted $1000 for it, so I didn't get it...but if you can get it for under $300 or $400 then the discount your receive from your insurance will probably pay for it in...oh say 8-10 years....maybe

Enjoy!
Old 08-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Zeio
1st Gear Member

I also got my Lojack installed from Galpin Ford for around $595. It wasn't just the chance of getting stolen that made me go for it, it was the piece of mind living in LA where no matter what car you have it could get jacked, AND the fact that I got a reduced rate from insurance just because I had Lojack installed. So over the years, that discounted rate from the insurance will slowly chop away at the overall cost of the Lojack, for me thats worth it.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:04 PM
brchan
1st Gear Member

Hey everyone,
Thanks for all the input about pricing and whether or not to get LoJack at all.

I picked up my GT last night and finally caved in. I got the LoJack with early warning system for total of $795. My reasoning was that after I finish with all the mods on her, she'll stick out like a sore thumb. I work in a bad part of town and also am forced to park at the local courthouse parking lot, so lots of bad people passing by. Plus living in L.A. doesn't help, regarding auto thefts...

Bryan
Old 08-12-2005, 02:47 PM
OhFive GT

s

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Costs of Lojack?