Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

tools at Sears

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
My dad has that exact same set. As for myself, after discovering Snap-on, I could never go back.
only way i can do snap on is if i steal one of their trucks
Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

That's a decent set for a lot of what you'll need. However, there's always those little extra items or nice-to-have tools that you'll want to get over time.
Starting with a large set like that is a good choice. Then add over time.

I too recently bought one of those flat wratcheting wrenches, and they are a good addition to any set. I had previously picked up a one of those off-brand 'gearhead' sets from sears, but it didnt have 13mm.

Nothing like having your own tools though, and having what you need when you need it! (of course, this is from someone who received a socket set as a 10-year old kid and still has and uses most of that set today). Get good tools that'll last and are warranted for free replacement if they break.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:12 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
Starting with a large set like that is a good choice. Then add over time.

. Get good tools that'll last and are warranted for free replacement if they break.
Thats why I am buying craftsman, guaranteed for life. Yeah I figure its a hellova starter set.............and a great value, and I love value, cause I am a cheap sob! LOL

Snap on.............yeah right........way to pricey.

patrick
Old 05-04-2010, 04:10 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

for those of you who dont know, gear wrench is craftsman, just branded differently
Old 05-04-2010, 04:15 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

My dad has a really nice set of Craftsman tools. I picked up the 154 piece set to keep in my trunk, it's all I'll need for now. As for Snap-On, they are very nice but I can't justify the price when Craftsman has the same warranty, especially when I am not a mechanic.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Grinder88
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Yeah I knew I would find somebody who needed some tools!

I am gonna go back Weds and buy that kit. I am tired of borrowing from my neighbor all the time. For under $200 it has a sh#tload of stuff.

No advance autoparts on Maui or I would have gone there. I tried napa but they didnt have it.

patrick
If your gonna buy it the price 179.99 is only for online so you'll have to buy it online and pick it up in store, otherwise in store it is 199.99
Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Most of my tools are Craftsman; good quality with an excellent replacement warranty. The only thing I don't like about those kits are they come with too many 12 pt sockets. I prefer the 6 pt sockets, especially for the big fasteners.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Sometimes you want 6 pt sockets, sometimes 12. Seems the wrenches are usually 6-pt box ends, and I like 12-pt for wrenches (to be able to work them in tight places). Pick sockets usually need to be 6 pt to hold up to the torque for larger bolts/nuts. But sometimes, like for some ARP fasteners, you really need 12-pt, and don't have them.

If my profession was a mechanic, I'd go for the snap-ons. My dad retired from many years of mechanic work, with a lot of snap-on tools, and most are as good as new, even with many years of use and abuse. But for home/weekend mechanics, Craftsman is usually my first choice, because of the warranty and competitive prices.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:39 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

my 281 piece Craftsman and a few other specialty tools are my best friends.

.. so is the Lisle 4.6/5.4 broken spark plug remover, even if I never had to use it lol
Old 05-07-2010, 12:52 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I ended up getting this set (on sale) as the other set was not on sale and $419. Seems online prices dont match store prices. Price on Maui is also higher but so is everything else here! LOL I paid $220 and totally worth it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4&blockType=G4

Put it all together and am very stoked with how many parts there really are. No screwdrivers but thats easy to fix. Drawers actually pull out so you can just carry what you need to your workplace. Very cool. Its very organized.........and I like that.

patrick

Quick Reply: tools at Sears