Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Are Hot Rod Cams the best sounding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Default Are Hot Rod Cams the best sounding?

I know they do very little for performance and actually take away some of the low rpm torque, but no one can deny the great sound.

I see there is a sticky for installing these specific ones. M-6550-3V

Is that what most people are running?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:51 PM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

I have Brenspeed Detroit Rockers and I did not loose torque in fact it gained and a great overall performance improvement. Go to Brenspeed's website and view the video of Chandler's 06 as he goes through the gears. I will tell you the sound is best through chambered mufflers rather than straight through mufflers like my FRPP Stingers.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwharton
I have Brenspeed Detroit Rockers and I did not loose torque in fact it gained and a great overall performance improvement. Go to Brenspeed's website and view the video of Chandler's 06 as he goes through the gears. I will tell you the sound is best through chambered mufflers rather than straight through mufflers like my FRPP Stingers.
Those do sound good. I wonder if they can mate up with an SC.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:09 PM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

I have the hot rods and with the right tuner you do not lose any low end torque. My car pulls just as hard down low and def pulls hard up top. Its all about the tune my friend
Old 05-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Who is Chris Rose? Local guy?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:22 PM
funmoneypit

I too have the hot rods. I think they sound the best but I am biased. I really didn't lose any low end torque either. If anything, I thought I gained some as the first test drive I hit second gear and the rear tires spun so easy, I thought my clutch was slipping. I have since taken it to Brenspeed for a dyno. I gained 39 rwhp but that was with delete plates, UDP's and the cams. The first two things really don't increase hp too much so a pretty good gain I thought. Torque was the same or up a little throughout the rpm range. Dave at Brenspeed said that was a pretty good gain especially with the 4:10 gears. Brenspeed didn't have their cams out when I bought mine so I didn't compare those. I also liked the Hot Rods because I installed them myself so I didn't have to mess with the phaser locks. My .02.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

So all it all it looks like CAMS are roughly $1000 including the tools. Just have to install them.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:40 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

No not $1000, detroit rockers and hotrods are about the same I think at $700. Dont buy the tools, rent them from rojizostang. If he isnt on this site, go to the s197forum.com site. I rented them from him. Shipped on Friday from Texas, got em today Monday on Maui via the post office!! NICE!! Way cheaper than buying them, not to mention they are on backorder everywhere.

patrick
Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
I know they do very little for performance and actually take away some of the low rpm torque, but no one can deny the great sound.

I see there is a sticky for installing these specific ones. M-6550-3V

Is that what most people are running?
Hey Bmr4life, .... " they do very little for performance.." (??????) Well, don't be so sure about that.They can give you just as much as other mods and it's all in the tune as well. I gained 29 RWHP when NA and with no loss of torque.
I'll take that any day..!!

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 05-18-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 AM
T.Wayne
1st Gear Member

+ what JW has stated chambered are the way to go if you want sound.
I was just at Brentspeed yeterday I had the Detroit Rockers already and I have the Pypes Muffler deletes and when you compare what Chandler's set up is, mine sounds good but not that good at idle but when I get up and go I like the way it screams but over all Chambered and I will be changing the exhaust. Gains loving them and sound loving them.

TW

Quick Reply: Are Hot Rod Cams the best sounding?