Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

detroit rocker cams are in !

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:40 AM
MustangRacing4.6ltr
Kenmore Fan

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Awesome dude, congrats. Man I would be scared to drive it without the new tune. Of course WTF do I know. LOL

Mine go in Saturday!!! WooF#ckingHoo!!!!!!!

Did you do the install? If so how long? Any tricky spots?

patrick
thanks and ya ive had to drive it because fricken a its been a week since the cam install and you can imagine how anxious i am to let loose, but brenspeed still hasnt sent my tune! and congrats on your cams- post vids soon as well! unfortunately i dont trust myself to do anything to the engine , but i think it took my mechanic around 4 hours....most the guys on the site here are saying 3-5 hours , and you need a tool that you get from auto shop or from someone on the site here to borrow , to complete and make the install easier.

and thanks again you guys
Old 05-21-2010, 12:33 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangRacing4.6ltr
thanks and ya ive had to drive it because fricken a its been a week since the cam install and you can imagine how anxious i am to let loose, but brenspeed still hasnt sent my tune! and congrats on your cams- post vids soon as well! unfortunately i dont trust myself to do anything to the engine , but i think it took my mechanic around 4 hours....most the guys on the site here are saying 3-5 hours , and you need a tool that you get from auto shop or from someone on the site here to borrow , to complete and make the install easier.

and thanks again you guys
4 hours that's quick. I have a mechanic friend helping me too, God knows I dont know enough about it. I also rented the tools from a member. Everything is ready to go except to ice the gatoraide!! LOL

Brenspeed seems to always send me my tunes on Friday, so hopefully you will get yours today.

patrick
Old 05-21-2010, 02:36 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

Mine are going in tomorrow. I got everything ready except for a case of bud light
Old 05-22-2010, 10:36 PM
MustangRacing4.6ltr
Kenmore Fan

i hope both your installs go well!!! post pics with your results!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:17 AM
TekMan05
2nd Gear Member

My friend and I should be doing my install this weekend. Detroit Rocker Cams, JLT CAI, silver powdercoated Cam covers. He feels confident that we can get by without the timing wedge tool. Afterall he's torn apart and put several engines back together and just a few months ago he replaced the head gaskets on an '02 DOHC Dodge Intrepid. Which he had to re-time on top of it. So this project should go smooth enough. I'll have a thread to go once it's all finished.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:39 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Dude be very careful, one little mistake can be a huge effn problem. Look @ lounlow s thread. Good luck,hope all goes well.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 AM
TekMan05
2nd Gear Member

Thanks but we should be ok. His shop has all the power tools(Which we won't need in this cas) and hand tools we could imagine. I did my KOOKS header install up there and it was a breeze. We also are gonna replace my plugs as well. Doing the cam project should give us time to let the plugs soak in some PB blaster. Also would Sea foaming the car before hand help loosen up some of the carbon build up?

Last edited by TekMan05; 06-03-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:55 AM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

I had my detroit rockers installed on the 1st along with the H PIPE by PYPES and flowmasters. Sounds sick at idle and even partial throttle. I love it WOT is a bit loud.

Most of the guys I have seen do the install themselves here have ran into problems. Whether its tuning or some other mistake the installer has created. Like someone said i would never tear into my engine with out some sort of qualified help but to those that do. You have more ***** than i do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K34vqaM4PbA
Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 AM
TekMan05
2nd Gear Member

Like I said before, If I didn't or my friend didn't feel comfortable doing it we wouldn't tackle it. But all the parts are here and ready for the install which will probably be tomorrow night. He's already torn into an OHC engine before 2.7 DOHC Intrepid which he re-timed , along with re-building several other engines. Granted this is the first V8 performance motor we're tearing into, we should be fine. I'm gonna show him some of the threads from here to get him a lil more prepped for this specific application.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:03 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

No pun intended i think its great when guys do it and im very envious of that as i wish i was mechanically inclined to do those things. Brakes and oil changes are about my extent. Here is a video of my detroit rockers for the poster and who ever else is interested in hearing the set up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K34vqaM4PbA

Quick Reply: detroit rocker cams are in !