Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Roll bar on a convert

Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 PM
funmoneypit

Default Roll bar on a convert

Ok, so I am thinking about getting a roll bar for my vert. Do any vert owners have pics of theirs that I can look at? I don't want to ruin the looks of my car but I want to keep on racing and I am too fast now. Also, does anyone know if the bolt in ones (you can remove them) are ok for NHRA, IHRA tracks? Does anyone know of a good place to buy one? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

The only bolt-in's I have seen was several custom set-ups done by Piper Motorsports, but they are custom built on site.

Here's a link to some pictures of one they built... pretty slick set-up as you get the best of both worlds!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:42 PM
geocomp
2nd Gear Member

I read your other thread about going to the track and being told you needed a roll bar. That sucks because I have been wanting to get my vert to a track to see what I can do. The pictures Doogie posted look awesome but renders the back seat useless.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:24 PM
funmoneypit

Originally Posted by Doogie65
The only bolt-in's I have seen was several custom set-ups done by Piper Motorsports, but they are custom built on site.

Here's a link to some pictures of one they built... pretty slick set-up as you get the best of both worlds!
Now those look sweet. I have the light bar so that would be great if I can keep that and put the roll bar in when needed. Thanks for the info. Do you know how much they run? I expect they aren't cheap. Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

That sucks because I have been wanting to get my vert to a track to see what I can do

Be thankful that dragstrips protect us from ourselves.

does anyone know if the bolt in ones (you can remove them) are ok for NHRA, IHRA tracks?

My car runs at an NHRA sanctioned facility. It's pretty strict. Car started off with 6 point roll bar (looking for pics?) and had to be converted to full cage (trap speed 135+ mph or 9.999 ET). It had to pass a rigorous inspection for quality of materials, fit, location, and install. There was a lot of floor mounted and other welding involved. I doubt that something that can be removed easily would suffice.

Obviously, track officials are going to be quite sensitive when it comes to a vehicle with a soft top. I have seen some 6 point bars done very well and they did preserve the interior integrity....but as far as the backseat usage is concerned???????

Last edited by forensicsteve; 05-20-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by funmoneypit
Now those look sweet. I have the light bar so that would be great if I can keep that and put the roll bar in when needed. Thanks for the info. Do you know how much they run? I expect they aren't cheap. Thanks again.
I have not bothered looking into them any further since they current do not sell them via mail order and getting my car to Piper's shop in VA is just not going to happen.

Originally Posted by forensicsteve

does anyone know if the bolt in ones (you can remove them) are ok for NHRA, IHRA tracks?

Here's a link to the thread on Team Shelby where I found the info. Maybe one of the guys who has this set-up could answer your question??

Last edited by Doogie65; 05-20-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:01 PM
funmoneypit

Originally Posted by Doogie65
I have not bothered looking into them any further since they current do not sell them via mail order and getting my car to Pipr's shop in VA is just not going to happen.
Ok, thanks. Yeah, they are about a 10 hour drive for me. Guess I will have to call them and see. I had another member at another forum suggest the same guys. So far it looks like they do about the best for what I am looking for. Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Let me know what you find out as it would be great if they would start offering this as a kit in which all you would need to do is have the plates welded into your car locally. I have been very hesitant to even bother going to the track since I am probably in the low 12 second range as it sits today.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:59 AM
geocomp
2nd Gear Member

Be thankful that dragstrips protect us from ourselves.
I fully agree that the dragstrips need to help us protect ourselves, especially an idiot like myself. I was not at all saying that the rule sucked. I was mainly making the comment because I was not aware of that rule. Actually I am not aware of any of the rules since I have never really looked into going to a strip. It is just one of those things I would like to say I have done with my Mustang. Guess I won't be doing this activity now.

....but as far as the backseat usage is concerned???????
I still use my car to haul kids around since they love riding in the back with the top down. Sorry I was just throwing out an obvious statement I guess.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:41 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

My question marks re the backseat are because I am not sure how useable the backseat is, even with custom fit 6 point rollbars. I lost the backseats a long time ago.

I have seen some very nice 6 point rollbars (mine are not that nice), where the bars fit tight up against the car's frame leaving as much room as possible for the interior.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roll bar on a convert