Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should I get a 2011 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Im 6' 2". Have enough head room for a racing helmet and dont use anything near all the seat travel.

The new 6-Speed Manual is so sweet you will take the long way home with extra turns just to get to shift it. This car is about driving not being driven.

That said if you must Im sure the new 6-Speed Auto is pretty nice for an Auto.

My 2007 was a daily driver and saw 15,000 miles in 3 years. So Im in a very similar situation.

It saw some snow and if you have RWD experience its fine. Do get the All-Seasons if you use the same tires year round. The Summer Rubber that comes on the Brembo Package will be absolutely useless in 1/4" of snow. If your still concerned get real winter tires. They can even turn a Miata into a snow toy.

PS You notice the decision I made.

Last edited by Gene K; 05-23-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SSC Super Venom
Ya go for it I'm 15 and people think that these cars are for people who are young, incase you havent looked at the price tag they dont have a price for young people
I know this is off topic and you didnt ask for it on your first post but....

I hope your a unique case (Karts and Midget experience) or thats your dad's car. If not you will never make 17.

Sorry... I just dont think 500 bhp is a good idea for a beginner. Im a bit worried about some of the people coming over from FWD Imports to the 2011 as well.

Note: This is not a critisism based on age but experience level.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:13 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

I say go for it, especially since CDC came out with the new classic front spoiler. For deep snow, just run a second set of tires. In regards to your age... who gives a freakin'-flying-fudging-flopping-flinging heck what your age is. If you walk out your front door in the morning and get a smile just looking at your car, then it's the right one. Besides, Mustangs are fun for all people with driver's licenses. And, if you live in a crowded area, buying an automatic isn't a big deal- you're the one that has to deal with a clutch in traffic. Also, the new ones have plenty of head room, and power seats too (which you can lower). Finally, have fun. Most of us have to drive places to get around. Don't make that part of your day a point to point trip. Make your car the point. And, if the money is too high on a 2011, then look into some of the 2010 models that are left over.

I wish you happy hunting. Go test drive one, you'll like it.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:59 PM
godfather_go3
1st Gear Member

Smile never to old

I purchased my 06 when I was 63 y/o, now looking forward to getting a 2011 soon.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:27 PM
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

My GT is one of the most comfortable cars i've ridden in or driven, even for long trips. Even my 09 has a really quiet interior and really nice light clutch and shifts (much better than the 06 I had).

I've driven a mustang year round for 3 years now, and IMO the only way to go if you get snow is to have one set of rims with snow tires for the winter months and another set of rims with performance summer tires for the rest of the year.

All seasons are very unsafe driving in the snow, mostly because you cant turn or stop without sliding, summer tires you might as well call someone to come pick you up because you aren't going anywhere, and with snow tires its almost like I have All wheel drive
Old 05-23-2010, 03:32 PM
IOMSS

No get this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 05-23-2010, 05:53 PM
StuckInNYForever

Originally Posted by njsec50
Will you be using it on your DD?

Thanks to everyone for the input. If I do pull the trigger I want a 2011 GT, the power does matter to me. I don't know why I'm being talked out of it. But my family is all for it. The snow is my only worry. I don't look to go out in it, by sometimes s**t happens. I've been considering a new car for over a year and only the GT interests me so far (vs Challenger or Camaro). I've driven a Camry, Altima and Sentra and it wasn't too exciting. Nice cars though.

I have a 88 Monte ss for 22 yrs, orig 305. It's in good shape but I just do usual maintenance/repairs. It was hit so it had body work and a new paint job several yrs ago. It's fine local, but I wouldn't trust it on a road trip. Get on the NJ turnpike and it really labors, and gets only 7 mph city. When I do get a new car, I'll probably keep it around for family to use. Driving only 4K miles/yr, I can keep it going, even with it's existing problems. It's like Al Bundy and his Dodge. But I refuse to pour a ton of money into it, just burn it into the ground.

I have some decisions to make..

Yes, this will be my daily driver. Rain, snow, or shine. I also had an '87 Monte SS with very wide (and worn) rear tires that was awful in the snow. For the few days a year it snows, I'll just go slower than normal. I am expecting the Mustang to be a world better than the Monte SS.

My other choice was keeping a commuter car (Hyundai Sonata), and using the Mustang on weekends. But, its not much of a family car, and then I wouldn't get to enjoy it to the fullest driving it 2 days a week. Plus the insurance, depreciation, and maintenance on 2 cars would cost me more than using the Mustang all 20k miles per year.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:06 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

I'm 38 and 6'3" plenty of driver room, none behind me though! I didn't buy it for a people carrier. I've had my 2010 v6 since November as a DD 210 hp is plenty of power for a DD! I never plan on track time and don't street race! Its a fun car and you can get an incredible deal right now on any 2010, pull the trigger you will be happy you did
Old 05-23-2010, 06:51 PM
njsec50

Originally Posted by StuckInNYForever
Yes, this will be my daily driver. Rain, snow, or shine. I also had an '87 Monte SS with very wide (and worn) rear tires that was awful in the snow. For the few days a year it snows, I'll just go slower than normal. I am expecting the Mustang to be a world better than the Monte SS.

My other choice was keeping a commuter car (Hyundai Sonata), and using the Mustang on weekends. But, its not much of a family car, and then I wouldn't get to enjoy it to the fullest driving it 2 days a week. Plus the insurance, depreciation, and maintenance on 2 cars would cost me more than using the Mustang all 20k miles per year.
My Monte is terrible in the snow also, but I drove slow and made it thru. The Mustang should be alot better in every way. Going 70, with the AC running on a hot day, I won't see the Service Engine soon light come on.... and use a quart of oil

I'm with you on the 2 car thing. Keeping the Monte as a DD would be expensive. With insurance, repairs and gas, it cost me plenty in the last 3 yrs. I can't afford both. If I used the GT only on weekends if would be a waste anyway, at least in my case. So I definitely agree with you.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:56 PM
njsec50

Originally Posted by conejo172
I'm 38 and 6'3" plenty of driver room, none behind me though! I didn't buy it for a people carrier. I've had my 2010 v6 since November as a DD 210 hp is plenty of power for a DD! I never plan on track time and don't street race! Its a fun car and you can get an incredible deal right now on any 2010, pull the trigger you will be happy you did
If you have plenty of room, I should be fine. My backseats are mostly used to put stuff, groceries, papers, etc. I've only needed it for people a few times over the last couple of years.

Quick Reply: Should I get a 2011 GT?