Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Another CAI thread but....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:34 AM
mustangfun101

Default Another CAI thread but....

I noticed that nobody has touched the basic performance thread in over a month so......

So I recently bought an 06GT. I am looking for a little bit more power but I bought a warranty with my new/used car and the dealership said if I did much of anything beyond a CAI they wouldn't cover it. So, it seems that the K&N is the only intake promising more horsepower without needing a reprogramming. Is this true? I read a couple post from K&N owners who said it tripped their dash light. True? What about a Ford Racing intake??

So it looks like tint, CAI, maybe Eibach springs, and exterior cosmetic changes.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Grabborange
1st Gear Member

How long is your warranty for? Personally, I wouldn't bother with a 'no tune' CAI unless it's one with a removable insert. The FRPP is a good option. I would think they should warranty it, although they may require the Ford tune, rather than an aftermarket tuner.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:40 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Don't waste your money and time with a non-programmable CAI.

Couldn't you simply buy a normal cai+tune, keep your stock components, and if a problem arised, put it back to stock? They wouldn't know the difference...unless you did something stupid like brick the computer
Old 05-23-2010, 11:43 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
Don't waste your money and time with a non-programmable CAI.

Couldn't you simply buy a normal cai+tune, keep your stock components, and if a problem arised, put it back to stock? They wouldn't know the difference...unless you did something stupid like brick the computer
+1 Install a real cai and tune or dont bother.

patrick
Old 05-23-2010, 01:34 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I'll cut you a deal on a CAI tuner combo if you are still looking for one. I still need it til Wednesday so I can start the new motor to get it to my other garage, to put my supercharger back on. I'll pm you the price if you are interested.

CAI is in great shape, filter cleaned recently. SctX3 has 5 unlocks left.

Its an awesome kit. Dropped my 1/4 from 13.8@98 to 13.2@102 back in 08.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:44 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Airaid is another that doesn't require a tune. There won't be much in terms of a gain though.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

its a waste of money unless you tune it. Also you can probably get away with having exhaust as long as its an axleback.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:47 PM
mustangfun101

Thanks for the info. Drop me a line on the price of your used one although I usually like buying new. Sounds like I'll do both, decisions decisions on what to go with.

Like your car "yourmyboy" and in Vicenza too? Army? That should be fun up and down the autostrada. I was there for a 4 month JTF in 2003, a guy I worked with had a yellow Z06 and we would run it up and down there. The Carabinieri would pull him over just to look at it.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:41 PM
mustangfun101

Tried to email you, didn't work. I'll hold off for now, I got some cosmetic things to do first, (tint/couple dings)and then I'll work on the performance....plus I want to talk to the dealers service department again. Thanks though, that is a deal.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangfun101
Thanks for the info. Drop me a line on the price of your used one although I usually like buying new. Sounds like I'll do both, decisions decisions on what to go with.

Like your car "yourmyboy" and in Vicenza too? Army? That should be fun up and down the autostrada. I was there for a 4 month JTF in 2003, a guy I worked with had a yellow Z06 and we would run it up and down there. The Carabinieri would pull him over just to look at it.
Thanks. Yeah I'm in the Army. Its pretty sweet having a mustang there. I've had the Carb follow me and pull me over and stuff to check it out. The Slavanian border guards liked it too. I did a nice burn out for them. It gets a lot of attention there. Plus since enforces the speed limits on the autostrada I get to have a lot of fun there. Just have to watch out for the tutor system, which they have big signs warning drivers when it comes up. It will be much better when I get back from deployment and put a supercharger on it!

Last edited by yourmyboybh1026; 05-24-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Another CAI thread but....