Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Resonators, glasspack or new mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:04 AM
NavyStanger

I just had long tubes with an H (the boost brothers rev. 2 set) put into my car with my hot rod cams, and at WOT it sounds fantastic, idle sounds great. At mid throttle at 2k rpms, I get the super-raspy almost civic fart can noises. I was considering getting some high flow cats so I can pass emissions, but will those mellow out that mid rpm sound? or will those summit glasspacks do the job?

Also I currently have Hooker Aerochamer mufflers on the car. I also own a set of Pypes Violator axlebacks, would those produce a more mellow midrange?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:31 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NavyStanger
I just had long tubes with an H (the boost brothers rev. 2 set) put into my car with my hot rod cams, and at WOT it sounds fantastic, idle sounds great. At mid throttle at 2k rpms, I get the super-raspy almost civic fart can noises. I was considering getting some high flow cats so I can pass emissions, but will those mellow out that mid rpm sound? or will those summit glasspacks do the job?

Also I currently have Hooker Aerochamer mufflers on the car. I also own a set of Pypes Violator axlebacks, would those produce a more mellow midrange?

Dude I have high flow cats and I swear they do nothing to calm down the sound. My idle is wicked, WOT great in the upper rpms, but I spend most of the time driving in the 1700 to 2200 range and I gotta loose the drone and trumpeting.

I will prolly order the flowmaster american thunder axle backs. First I can install them and they would cost me $350 landed. If I buy two resonators, that'll be $150 to $250 landed and another $150 to have a shop weld them in. The spintechs I have are really small and I believe my setup needs some backpressure. Secondly, the pipes from the h back have been cut and welded several times. Its ugly under there. LOL

I also really like that flowmaster tone.

patrick
Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

are you looking to quiet things down or get rid of sound completely? I am assuming you still want the deep resonating bassy tone but nothing ratty or fart sounding (??), but not silent either...
Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Dude I have high flow cats and I swear they do nothing to calm down the sound. My idle is wicked, WOT great in the upper rpms, but I spend most of the time driving in the 1700 to 2200 range and I gotta loose the drone and trumpeting.

I will prolly order the flowmaster american thunder axle backs. First I can install them and they would cost me $350 landed. If I buy two resonators, that'll be $150 to $250 landed and another $150 to have a shop weld them in. The spintechs I have are really small and I believe my setup needs some backpressure. Secondly, the pipes from the h back have been cut and welded several times. Its ugly under there. LOL

I also really like that flowmaster tone.

patrick
Are the resonators that expensive because of the shipping? I paid $145 parts and labor to have the resoantors installed. Even if I went with more expensive magnaflow resonators/magnapacks it still would be around $200 parts and labor.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 AM
stangit9090
2nd Gear Member

Get factory mufflers.

and I think you need a driver mod...13.2?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:41 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gman73
Are the resonators that expensive because of the shipping? I paid $145 parts and labor to have the resoantors installed. Even if I went with more expensive magnaflow resonators/magnapacks it still would be around $200 parts and labor.
Everything cost more here, its crazy. The other issue is my time. I have my own business. For me to take the time to drop my car off at a shop, I would be missing work and losing out on money. Most shops are closed on weekends. There is one open but I dont trust them.

I ordered the flows #17410 from amazon.com landed for $336. Everybody else wanted $68 to $91 for shipping!!!

Steath, I just want to eliminate the harsh drone and trumpeting. I definatly dont want to quiet it down too much. It prolly would sound great with stock mufflers now but I dont have those, so the flows which are a little louder than stock will prolly be just right. The spintech mufflers I have are the most aggresive ones they make. They sounded great with stock manifolds and stock cats but now seem overwhelmed with the LTs, high flows and cams. Actually after I installed the LTs I drove with open headers to the exhaust shop where they fabbed up some pipe. Leaving that shop with hf and spintechs installed the tone wasnt much quieter, only different.

patrick
Old 06-01-2010, 12:53 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangit9090

and I think you need a driver mod...13.2?

Yeah I know!!!

I know the car is faster I just dont have the timeslip to prove it. First run was at 2.15 in the afternoon, hot as sh#t, 89`and I had just drivin an hour to get there, DA 1902, ran 13.26@ 105.90 Next run two hours later, 1/8 mile was a tenth faster but the timer failed at the 1320 mark, so no time. They let me run again, hot lapped, and I ran a 13.3 @105.75 Ran one more time two hours later and the tires blew off at the start, first time that has ever happened since I started racing last Oct. My previous best 13.22 was last month no cams and at nite with 20` cooler temps. Oh well, thats racing..............gotta wait till July now.

patrick
Old 06-01-2010, 01:24 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

you need to switch mufflers.
i used to have the spintechs and now i have M80's midmounted and its much better
cruising is much more bearable, and at WOT it is still loud but has a deep, nicer tone to it
less NASCAR sounding, the spintechs have that NASCAR sound, i mean they are blaring loud.
kinda like a flowmaster 10 or cherry bomb extreme
great for the track but not so much for the street
i'm not saying to get what i got, but just saying i think its your mufflers
Old 06-01-2010, 05:14 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah its the mufflers. Those things are nuts with my setup. Finally somebody who has had em and understands. Lol
Patrick
Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 PM
joelr9801
1st Gear Member

I bet you're gonna miss wakeing up King Kamehameha and knocking coconuts off the trees as u pass!!! Good luck and I'm sure its gonna sound great with the Flow's

Quick Reply: Resonators, glasspack or new mufflers