Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just joined the family.... 05 GT would love some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:36 PM
sgtpat

Default Just joined the family.... 05 GT would love some advice

Well I just got my 05 GT this week. I have been looking and there is a million mods and a million opinions on each of those. I am interested where everyone thinks you start when you start working on these. I am starting on the looks side, getting a Cervini ram air hood. After that I am thinking exhuast. My goal is to make the most difference with the least cash in a short time. In the Army Reserves and going on a "trip" in August.

Let me know where you started and how it turned out for you.
Thanks!!
Old 05-30-2010, 09:45 PM
nola504boy
2nd Gear Member

congrats on your new ride.I would get a cai/tuner first.Just my .02
Old 05-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Define "most difference". Exhaust will make the most difference in sound but not in performance unless you do LT's. For performance the biggest bang (short of FI) is a CAI & custom tune combo. Gears make the car feel a lot quicker. UDP's, electric water pump, aluminum DS all are some nickel and dime mods.

LT's, cams and CAI & tune are the biggest gainers and work well together.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:57 PM
sgtpat

Originally Posted by Nuke
Define "most difference". Exhaust will make the most difference in sound but not in performance unless you do LT's. For performance the biggest bang (short of FI) is a CAI & custom tune combo. Gears make the car feel a lot quicker. UDP's, electric water pump, aluminum DS all are some nickel and dime mods.

LT's, cams and CAI & tune are the biggest gainers and work well together.
Well, there CAI/ Tune is already done. I dont know what you mean with most of the abbriviations, What are UDP's and aluminum DP's?

I am working on a wish list and have a supercharger/ cams at the top but cash is an issue there. I am looking for performance but am working with limited funds ( he didn't give this GT to me for free!!!!) and less time. When I come home I will do the charger and cams but want to start now and have no idea where to go.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:16 AM
Mustangshar
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sgtpat
Well I just got my 05 GT this week. I have been looking and there is a million mods and a million opinions on each of those. I am interested where everyone thinks you start when you start working on these. I am starting on the looks side, getting a Cervini ram air hood. After that I am thinking exhuast. My goal is to make the most difference with the least cash in a short time. In the Army Reserves and going on a "trip" in August.

Let me know where you started and how it turned out for you.
Thanks!!
So you are starting on the " looks side" first? Cervini hood and paint will set you back a chunk for sure, but they are beautiful! Have no idea what color you have, but an inexpensive nice looking mod is the honeycomb trunk panel with smoked tail lights <maybe> and SHR louvers for the quarter windows. I'm not even going to mention striping here...you could do vinyl, but paint is the best and it costs $$$$

You have a CAI/Tune already? Do you have the tuner also and are you sure you have stock exhaust? idn...I'm thinking here if there's already CAI/Tune then the exhaust would have been changed unless it was parted out when sold. If you do change the exhaust like xpipe, you may need to retune?? not sure about that,I know if I go headers and xpipe I will need to retune.

Looks I'd do the honeycomb, louvers, SHR fuel door maybe, rims. Mechanics do the exhaust, under drive pulleys <I don't have those yet> long tube headers.

With a limited budget, just make sure you chose quality products-don't skimp, it'll show.

Good luck and post some pics so we can see your ride and congrats on the new purchase.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:44 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Have fun but be aware you aint getting the money back you stick in these cars. I think if you want to just cruise around and have fun adding a hood, stripes and wheels is the ticket. If you want the car to rumble get an exhaust a CAI and a good 93 octane tune. All the other stuff is cool but a supercharger is gonna set you back 5K and Cams 2K and although I love my 05... damn it would be nice to have a new vette for what I spent on this thing... funny but true...
Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 PM
rpietro
1st Gear Member

+1 onthat...CAI with tune and then exhaust. Your baby has got to breath.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:46 PM
rpietro
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sgtpat
Well, there CAI/ Tune is already done. I dont know what you mean with most of the abbriviations, What are UDP's and aluminum DP's?

I am working on a wish list and have a supercharger/ cams at the top but cash is an issue there. I am looking for performance but am working with limited funds ( he didn't give this GT to me for free!!!!) and less time. When I come home I will do the charger and cams but want to start now and have no idea where to go.
UDP's are underdriven pulleys and aluminum DS is aluminum drive shaft
Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

I can tell you my experience. I started with the basics but like you always knew I wanted a supercharger. Long story short I spent alot of money doing mods I just had to undo later.

If you are thinking about the supercharger now you will end up doing it. Spend your time figuring out which one you want and if you have to do mods do sc supporting ones like upper and lower control arms, aluminum drive shaft, maybe gears and a shifter.

That's my advice. If I would of followed my own advice I'd be several thousands ahead right now.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:33 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Congrats! First mod I did was CAI/Tune. I then went with looks, wheels/tires back to performance (4.10 gear) then exhaust.

Quick Reply: Just joined the family.... 05 GT would love some advice