Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2010/2011 Mustang gripes

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Default 2010/2011 Mustang gripes

I considered getting a 2005 MGT when they came out but hated the interior (got a Legacy GT instead). Then in 2007 considered a MGT again, but still hated the interior and got my first 335i then instead.

For 2011 I'm 99% likely to get the the new 5.0
but I still have a few gripes:

1. Though the interior is improved for 2010 it's still not the greatest, which I can understand since it's not $40-50k car, but still VW interiors are much superior even at $22k, but you don't get a V8 or RWD for that. The interior could still stand a bit nicer plastics.

2. Because of the "retro" theme, they still insisted on putting the speedo and tach so far apart on the dash it's silly. The gas gauge, voltage, temp and all that other stuff should NOT be front and center in the dash.
Ford, for God sake, put the speedo and tach in the middle and the other stuff on the sides.

3. Because of #2 the steering wheel is too damn big for a performance car. It's overall diameter is about 1 inch too large. But I know why they did that, because without it the steering wheel cut off your view of the speedo and tach because they are so far apart. If they'd put the speedo and tach front and center, they could put a smaller diameter more appropriate steering wheel on it. The bitch of it is, even with the larger steering wheel, it still cuts off part of your view of the tach and speedo.
And to add insult to injury, the big steering wheel doesn't even have thumb cut outs at 9 and 3 or 10 and 2.

4. Though better than the Camaro, you still feel like you are sitting in too deep inside the car. This is because the dash is too tall overall, AND the hood is too high. I can't imagine having the added hood scoop on the car.
You're out front view of curbs, etc is difficult with such a high up hood.

5. The A/C vents don't allow you to tilt them up high enough to keep the air from blowing you directly on your face. A/C vents need to be able to direct the air up to the roof.

None of these are significant enough to detract me from getting the new 5.0 now that the interior is upgraded from the 05-09 cars, but at least hopefully Ford will address those niggles in the 2014 car. (Oh and Ford while I'm asking for improvements make the 2014 car a bit smaller too, 3-4 inches shorter, 1 inch thinner and 1 inch lower with 200 lbs less weight too, ok thanks.)

Anybody else have any "cons" or gripes with their 2010 or 2011 Mustang they'd wish Ford would address?

Last edited by Driver72; 06-07-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:57 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Your picky...
Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnnyv8
Your picky...
its a 40k expense....he has every right to be
Old 06-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnnyv8
Your picky...
Picky about the size and feel of a steering wheel in a performance car?
Picky about the view of the tach and speedo in a performance car?
Picky about the view out the front of a performance car?

What did you buy your Mustang for, too look cool?

Ford clearly had retro styling as the priority over driving dynamics in those regards. And that's a bummer, hopefully they'll fix those in the next car.
But again, to have the 5.0 again (had 3 in the late 80's and early 90's) I'll give up some of those more desired features for the performance of the 5.0 again.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lil_Chef
its a 40k expense....he has every right to be
And there's that too.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

Go buy another BMW for 50k, and enjoy the view of my taillights. Interior problem solved.

My only complaint so far is that the car is too badass. I had three people in jaded SoCal stop me Sunday and ask me if it was the 2011 with the new engine.. (The CS has no 5.0 badges)

When you live with the car for a few days, the tach/speedo is right in your line of sight. With the Premium package, the enitre interior is upgraded, my only niggle is the hard plastic still on the upper door panels. Nothing a trip to the custom guy can't fix for a few bucks.

Otherwise, I think the interior is as good or better in many areas than the 05/07 C6 'Vettes I owned, and miles ahead of the '01/'03 Vipers I've had.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam I am
Go buy another BMW for 50k, and enjoy the view of my taillights. Interior problem solved.

My only complaint so far is that the car is too badass. I had three people in jaded SoCal stop me Sunday and ask me if it was the 2011 with the new engine.. (The CS has no 5.0 badges)

When you live with the car for a few days, the tach/speedo is right in your line of sight. With the Premium package, the enitre interior is upgraded, my only niggle is the hard plastic still on the upper door panels. Nothing a trip to the custom guy can't fix for a few bucks.

Otherwise, I think the interior is as good or better in many areas than the 05/07 C6 'Vettes I owned, and miles ahead of the '01/'03 Vipers I've had.
So you tell me to go buy another BMW because I have some interior driving ergo gripes of the 11 GT??
And you are making your decisions of how good the interior of the Mustang GT is based on the 05/07 Vette and 01/03 Viper? No wonder you think it's good. As I said, it's better than the 05-09, but still not even up to VW GTI standards.
The steering wheel in the 11 GT is subpar for performance driving bro.
Since you used a BMW as an example, go jump in one (even the lowest priced 135i with M sport wheel) and tell me the Mustang wheel is of good diameter, fit and feel in your hands by comparison.
Heck jump into a VW GTI and feel that wheel, it's worlds better from a driver's perspective.

And again, no offense, but anybody who thinks the speedo and tach are "right in your line of sight" when they are spread apart as far as they are in the Mustang, apparently is not concerned with quick glances at them during high speed driving.
Your 05/07 Vette should tell you that, the interior was garbage, but at least the speedo and tach are practically on top of each other, large and easy to view especially during performance driving.

Oh and don't hate on BMW until you've actually spent some time driving them on a track or in some serious canyon carving at least. And don't kid yourself a $50k BMW M3 would be showing you it's taillights on any track or roads with curves. But it should, it's a more dedicated, more expensive car than the Mustang GT. So no need for the ill natured sarcastic comments regarding BMW.

But I guess that's the difference between you and me.
Your one gripe and the thing you desire to fix in the performance car is the plastic on the door. I on the other hand desire to improve on the parts that actually will improve upon the DRIVING for the driver of the performance car.

I'll agree with you that a lot of people in SoCal are jaded, but I'll disagree with you when it comes to them being jaded about cars. SoCal is the car capital of the country, people here love cars and all kinds of cars. There is no doubt the new 5.0 will draw attention here. I'm sure it made you feel good, just as it should and just as they meant it too.

Last edited by Driver72; 06-08-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:29 AM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

You must have missed the good nature implied by the in my post, but since you continue in your endeavor to be an ***......
Yes, I ejnoy the driving experience of the car. You brought up the interior quality in your initial post.
I've installed a 600hp LSx stroker motor in an '04 GTO with 2k miles on it. I've modified every car I've ever owned, spending late nights in the garage installing headers, lowering springs, etc..... I'm just not such a nit picking person to let a few minor things keep me from ejoying the car.
You've obviously been here long enough to have actually BOUGHT or LEASED an '11 Mustang by now, but I'm betting that you won't actually get one. There's a ton of them in SoCal, if you need help finding one, let me know, I can locate it for you.

Sorry for not typing five paragraphs going into more detail, but I was actually in the garage tonight with my MUSTANG, looking for things to personalize.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I cant imagine anybody buying a new 5.0 mustang for anything other than that motor. Any bling bling, comfy seats, steering wheel, stereo etc.... is all just extra fluff IMO. Its a muscle car not a sports car to me.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:15 AM
slidai
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
I considered getting a 2005 MGT when they came out but hated the interior (got a Legacy GT instead). Then in 2007 considered a MGT again, but still hated the interior and got my first 335i then instead.

For 2011 I'm 99% likely to get the the new 5.0
but I still have a few gripes:

1. Though the interior is improved for 2010 it's still not the greatest, which I can understand since it's not $40-50k car, but still VW interiors are much superior even at $22k, but you don't get a V8 or RWD for that. The interior could still stand a bit nicer plastics.

2. Because of the "retro" theme, they still insisted on putting the speedo and tach so far apart on the dash it's silly. The gas gauge, voltage, temp and all that other stuff should NOT be front and center in the dash.
Ford, for God sake, put the speedo and tach in the middle and the other stuff on the sides.

3. Because of #2 the steering wheel is too damn big for a performance car. It's overall diameter is about 1 inch too large. But I know why they did that, because without it the steering wheel cut off your view of the speedo and tach because they are so far apart. If they'd put the speedo and tach front and center, they could put a smaller diameter more appropriate steering wheel on it. The bitch of it is, even with the larger steering wheel, it still cuts off part of your view of the tach and speedo.
And to add insult to injury, the big steering wheel doesn't even have thumb cut outs at 9 and 3 or 10 and 2.

4. Though better than the Camaro, you still feel like you are sitting in too deep inside the car. This is because the dash is too tall overall, AND the hood is too high. I can't imagine having the added hood scoop on the car.
You're out front view of curbs, etc is difficult with such a high up hood.

5. The A/C vents don't allow you to tilt them up high enough to keep the air from blowing you directly on your face. A/C vents need to be able to direct the air up to the roof.

None of these are significant enough to detract me from getting the new 5.0 now that the interior is upgraded from the 05-09 cars, but at least hopefully Ford will address those niggles in the 2014 car. (Oh and Ford while I'm asking for improvements make the 2014 car a bit smaller too, 3-4 inches shorter, 1 inch thinner and 1 inch lower with 200 lbs less weight too, ok thanks.)

Anybody else have any "cons" or gripes with their 2010 or 2011 Mustang they'd wish Ford would address?
Cool story bro

Quick Reply: 2010/2011 Mustang gripes