Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

So...Detroit Rockers or Hot Rods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:51 PM
71mopar383

What shop in Arlington are you getting them installed? Ive been looking for a place to do a install and dyno tunes.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:39 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Blacksmoke I know this decision is a tough one for you but truly dude, your gonna win with either cam. Since your installer is familiar with the hotrods and can tune them, just go with them. I too was gonna order hotrods but then the d rockers came out and I just have had great results with brenspeed in the past so I chose them. There is no tuner on Maui so I have to live with an email tune. You do not.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Yeah I think you are right.
They have alot of experience doing the Hot Rods and tuning for them and the have a good rep at it too.

The place in Arlington is called Gear Heads.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:09 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

You shouldn't need a custom dyno tune for the Hot Rods. I know our mail order tunes for them dial in the BEST idle and driveability characteristics in the industry for S197s cammed. Saves you some money, and your VCT tables, timing tables, etc would be dead on, they're not something that has to be "dialed in". Only wideband air/fuel ratio, and I've tuned the C&L racer intake mail order probably 1500 times.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Chris... I actually just PMed you before I saw this.

How much would you guys charge for a emailed tune?
I don't think they are going to charge me for the tune but I have heard about yall's tunes
and I really want one EVEN if they don't charge me for theirs.

Nothing wrong with having a couple of different tunes right?

I have a SCT X3.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
You shouldn't need a custom dyno tune for the Hot Rods. I know our mail order tunes for them dial in the BEST idle and driveability characteristics in the industry for S197s cammed.

Truth.

Hot Rods FTW!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:13 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

^ Thanks, bud! How's the car running?

Blacksmoke, you're looking at $50 for a single file. You have to call that in, as it's not available through our website.

If you want a 3 pack of tunes, it's $150. However, this also enrolls you in our free tunes for life program which we will update your tunes for your new mods on that vehicle no matter where you purchased the parts... through us or not.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:53 PM
top00cat
2nd Gear Member

Skip the dyno tune and get a tune from chris rose. I had alot of tune issues with my hot rods and he got it right for me. Not to mention he is a pleasure to work with. extremely helpful and doesnt rush you off the phone
Old 06-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Chris, can you tune for the Detroit Rockers ?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
^ Thanks, bud! How's the car running?

Blacksmoke, you're looking at $50 for a single file. You have to call that in, as it's not available through our website.

If you want a 3 pack of tunes, it's $150. However, this also enrolls you in our free tunes for life program which we will update your tunes for your new mods on that vehicle no matter where you purchased the parts... through us or not.
Sounds great Chris!
I am calling them today to get the specifics worked out on making sure all the tech details with the gears and such are understood. I am going to make sure they use the Ford Racing gears and not the motives and I am going to make sure they install new bearings too.
I will be going with the Hot Rod cams I decided.

I did notice that the Detroit Rockers said they did not require new phaser limiters or aftermarket valve springs. Is this true for the Hot Rods as well?

I will definitely be purchasing a tune from yall.
If I purchase a 3 pack and get the free tunes for life is there any way I can only upload ONE or TWO of your tunes to the SCT and keep the rest on my computer that way I can have room for the Custom tune they give me on the SCT for backup? Or when you do email tunes do they come in one bulk file and you must load all three at once to the SCT?

Oh and I PMed you again concerning some things.

Side note: I am getting exited about this already!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-14-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Quick Reply: So...Detroit Rockers or Hot Rods?