Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger gauges???

Old 06-24-2010, 02:43 PM
stangpilot08
1st Gear Member

Default Supercharger gauges???

I need some help from y'all about what I may need as far as gauges when I install my S/C. Don't ask what kind of S/C because I have not made up my mind yet. lol
The overlying cost of all items, including the gauges, will help me make my final decision. But... I don't know what gauges I will need for daily driving. I don't street or strip race... Just want more go on a low boost and safe tune... Do I really need all the gauges that I see in a lot of S/C cars? These bad boys are expensive!

Please chime in on what is NECESSARY...
Old 06-24-2010, 03:02 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Well FWIW, Roush only uses a boost guage in their cars. A lot of the guys will jump in and tell you to get a AFR guage and fuel pressure. If you get a custom tune and have then check it on teh dyno or use a canned tune from a big well known tuner, i personalyl think a boost guage is allyou need. UNLESS you are really pushing it with the tune and then I'd go for the other two guages. Honestly, you probably dont even need that boost guage. I rarely look at mine.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:12 PM
stangpilot08
1st Gear Member

Thanks Shane! Based on all of the research I have done on forums and tech blogs, it seems that if I am pushing the limits, monitoring of everything is pretty much needed. I'm not going that route, so that is good info!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:20 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangpilot08
Thanks Shane! Based on all of the research I have done on forums and tech blogs, it seems that if I am pushing the limits, monitoring of everything is pretty much needed. I'm not going that route, so that is good info!
FWIW Yates has the intercooled roush m90 kit for $4400 for your car, that is the best price i have seen.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:58 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I use the boost and intake air temp gauge that came with my Saleen. Air fuel ratios are nice, but really more useful if you're doing your own tuning. So long as you get the A/F's set okay on a dyno, no real need to constantly monitor it. There are companies that sell digital gauges that you can design the look of, and will take inputs from multiple sensors. I forget the name of the company I'm thinking of, but I visited with them at SEMA two years ago and they had some great looking products.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:59 PM
stangpilot08
1st Gear Member

Stage 3 Motorsports has an online coupon for 5% off so I can get it there even cheaper. My problem with the Roush and Saleen is that you have to ship off your ECM to be calibrated. I don't want to wait. I want to do the install myself, flash it, and go

It is hard when this is my daily driver to be down for 3 days waiting on the mail.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:10 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

I was undecided with gauges as well. I went with the Cobalt Autometer Boost & A/F gauges. Had them installed with the Vortech at Brenspeed. Definitely not cheap, but I wanted something to keep any eye on my investment.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

The only gauge that I would say is an absolute necessity on F/I cars is the wideband air fuel guage. I have three guages (wideband, fuel pressure, and boost), but honestly, if your air/fuel is not out of whack then you know your fuel pressure must be good, so that one is really just a backup guage. As for the boost gauge, it's nice to have just so you know how much boost you're making, but from a safety standpoint, it really isn't necessary.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:31 PM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

the only gauge that I put in was the "Boost" gauge, I didn't want to attract that much attention with a tri-pod set on the pillar or on the dash, I had Brenspeed install it into my vent pod, and it looks great...but like some said, probably not necessary. I suppose that it depends what applications your car is being used. If it is a DD, i doubt you need any. PM me if you want pics.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:25 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

A/F is the most important. It tells you alot about what your motor is doing and how it is running. Boost can be alright to look at, but the AF is themost important thing.

Sometimes sensors get dirty or break, fuel is bad, weather is off, whatever. The tune can change from the dyno to the street so ' it;s important to have an AF gauge.

The rest are just "wants" for street driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharger gauges???