Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fun at 50

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 07:36 AM
bingo2
1st Gear Member

Age is just a number. As Sachel Paige once said "How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you are". I'm 66.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:48 AM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
It would be great if Mustang Forum had a 35 and older section.. It would be nice to talk to some guys that are a little bit older and wiser..
Maybe older but not necessarily wiser.

Fun at 50:

Try and find a high performance driving school in your area or, if you can afford it, take a course with Bondurant or Ronnie Fellows. I can personally recommend the school at Spring Mountain, although they use (cough, cough) Vettes. You will have a blast. Make it part of a vacation in Vegas.

Maybe there is a club nearby that does autocrossing or track days. Not only will you have a ball, you will improve your driving skills at the same time. Car can still be stock.

I started autocrossing in my early 50s, then started doing road courses shortly after. I am 72 now and still do lots of track days plus some instructing with a local car control school. My '06GT was only slightly modified and am in the process now of doing the same simple mods to my new 5.0.

So you see your never too old. Get out there and have some fun with your car.

Cheers.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:45 PM
stang2009

My wife and I have been together since 1976. She and our 11 year old girl where with me going around the track. After the first lap I think my wife wished she waited out of the car. Th G-force on the curves sort of glued you to the seat. She got used to it though, because she went out again for the second set of laps. Next time I might let her drive.
??? Na maybe not.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:03 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

I'm "only" 29 right now. I get really happy when I see someone older (50+) driving a Mustang. They've probably been wanting that Mustang for 20 years and had to wait to send the kids through college. I try and give them a wave when I pass. Sometimes they race for a little bit.

I wish I could buy my father a Mustang. He had to sell his '65 to do the dad thing. Without sounding too sappy, it's sort of a life long dream to buy my father another Mustang. Though it'll probably be a 95-98 GT of sorts, since that's all I can realistically afford.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 PM
pcurtis

Originally Posted by replica
I'm "only" 29 right now. I get really happy when I see someone older (50+) driving a Mustang. They've probably been wanting that Mustang for 20 years and had to wait to send the kids through college. I try and give them a wave when I pass. Sometimes they race for a little bit.

I wish I could buy my father a Mustang. He had to sell his '65 to do the dad thing. Without sounding too sappy, it's sort of a life long dream to buy my father another Mustang. Though it'll probably be a 95-98 GT of sorts, since that's all I can realistically afford.
I am 58 and my first car I bought was a '66 289HP Mustang in '70 and later modified highly. The 2010 was the first S197 that was cleaned up (interior) and retained enough of the classic Mustang that I took the bait. Like others, mine is title clean. The 2011 GT does look interesting, but I can add an SC much cheaper. It's kind of like my '66 with mods at the time, a real sleeper.

My father (a USAF Col) at the time gave me holy hell for buying the '66, but he had to drive to work when I was deployed and my wife stayed with them.