Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whats better X or H pipe..and tune needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:50 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Default Whats better X or H pipe..and tune needed?

So I was looking and thinking of ordering one tonight or tomorrow. What is the difference between the X and H pipe..any performance difference or sound? I am looking at cattless ones. Also does it need to be tuned after putting one on?
Old 06-27-2010, 01:42 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

A tune will be needed to turn of the 02 sensors but if you don't tune it, the car will run but you will have a CEL. Sound is a personal preference. With violators both will be loud but the H would sound better IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1YpyuyRlmw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyp1-5ATnzA
Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

From AM's website:

Q: Should I buy an H or an X-pipe?

H-Pipe - Great sounding, moderate gains! An “H-pipe” will give you some low end torque and will be freer flowing than the stock mid-pipe, which increases your Mustang’s hp! It will also help create a deep, lower toned growl which is similar to the sound of old school muscle cars.

X-Pipe - Great sounding with greater performance gains! “X-pipes” are good for high end horsepower and torque, which is why many performance vehicles utilize the “X” design over the “H” design. The “x” allows the exhaust to flow more smoothly to the rear of the car. An “X-pipe” will have a louder, raspier sound than an H-pipe. It’s a great fit if you are looking for all out performance.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:53 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

The difference in hp and torque gains between an x and h are very minimal. Choose for the tone not the supposed power increase.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
So I was looking and thinking of ordering one tonight or tomorrow. What is the difference between the X and H pipe..
H is a lower pitched rumble, with a rougher idle sound.
X is a smoother snarly sound, particularly as you run up through the midrange. But it tends to be a little quieter at idle.

Dunno about anybody else, but the word "raspy" sounds kind of negative to me.

Norm
Old 06-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

H-pipe sounds better IMHO. You won't see noticable power or torque gains from either one, no matter what they advertise.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:29 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

H for better much better sound IMO. i think the HP difference is negligable between the 2 as others have stated.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:24 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

+1 what everyone else has said. I've yet to hear an X setup that I liked. Chambered mufflers and an H-pipe is what you need for that old-school sound.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Stormracer
1st Gear Member

Default X Pipe Sound!

For what it is worth, you can listen to my hill climb vid. I have the 07 Shelby GT which has the x pipe setup with CAI. My windows are up due to safety rules of the race. But it may give you a good idea to the sound variation through the climb!

https://mustangforums.com/forum/stre...ill-climb.html
Old 06-27-2010, 08:48 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

thanks..i will probably order the Pypes catless Hpipe from brenspeed then soon..if its to loud for me like I said I will take the small cats my buddy took off his 2010 ss camaro and have them welded in to tone it down.

Quick Reply: Whats better X or H pipe..and tune needed?