Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Running Rough + Loss of Power = My Probelm

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:46 AM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy Running Rough + Loss of Power = My Probelm

I'll start out by saying I have an 06' GT with a little over 10,000 miles on the clock. I have changed the oil every 3000 miles. Have swapped out factory plugs for champions and accel COP's at about 8000 miles. Also, all of the lubricants have been drained and replaced with royal purple. The rest of my mods are in my signature.

Now for the problem, two days ago I started it up around 6ish and drove it almost all night, went to a touchless car wash to get the dust off (same one I always go to when I feel lazy). It ran perfectly. Next night, started it up and it idled Really rough. So I decided to take it for a short drive to check it out. I got on it a little bit and there was no power. It felt like I was in a higher gear at low rpm's. It also sounded and felt as horrible and when it was idling.

Next day, I changed the fuel filter, cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner, and cleaned the air filter with a K&N kit. I also checked the fluids and added a can of seafoam to the tank. I took the COP's and spark plugs out to look for anything out of the ordinary (coolant, etc.). made sure all the gaps were .45 ( at least thats what I though they were suppose to be). Then I reloaded my 91 oct tune and started it up. It sounded only slightly better, I fixed nothing... So I revved it a little and when I let off a few pops came from the exhaust. Then I let it idle for a bit and I started to smell sort of rotten eggs, but not real strong, coming from the exhaust (my buddy said it kind of smelled like gunpowder to him). Oh and it hasn't thrown any codes either (I kind of wish it would).

I know that rotten egg smell can mean a bad catalytic convertor, but I wouldn't think it would fail so soon. But then again I wouldn't think this would happen either. I'm trying to hold off on taking it to a mechanic because I know of none that are reputable. So basically any ideas or any kind of help whatsoever would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Still have the stock plugs? Swap them in just long enough to see if the Champs are f'ing up. If so, ditch the Champs for some Brisks and happy motoring.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:26 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

the accell COPs have been known to fail. I replaced 1 of mine actually. get a hold of the stockers and try all them if you can
Old 06-27-2010, 05:54 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I've thrown the stock plugs away, but I dont have the stock COP's stored somewhere. I'll have to find them and try that. But wouldn't they throw a code if one was bad, or am I giving the PCM to much credit?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Probably no code for that. I'd certainly go back to the OE COPS first.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

if might throw a misfire code, mine did. then again it might not. you never know
Old 06-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I missed the COPs on your mod list (I'm a post skimmer). Aftermarket COPs have a serious reliability problem. I went through several sets of Granatellis before I learned my lesson.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:08 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Well I went though my "take off bin" and found my factory COP's, and I guess I did save my factory plugs too. So I'm getting ready to first swap out the COP's and then if that doesn't do anything I'll move on to the plugs. I'll let you all know how it goes (really well I hope!!)
Old 06-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CBSTANG
I've thrown the stock plugs away, but I dont have the stock COP's stored somewhere. I'll have to find them and try that. But wouldn't they throw a code if one was bad, or am I giving the PCM to much credit?
I had the wires to one COP chewed through by a rat and there were no codes bneing thrown.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:04 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

Hi,

It sounds like it might be the throttle body also. Check the connectors at the throttle body. Wiggle them around and press on them when the car is idling to see if it gets better. I had a bad pin on the trottle plate actuator motor connector and it did the same thing. Idle bad, no power. I pressed on the connector in just the right spot and it started running properly.

Could also be a problem with the trottle position sensor?

Usually you would get the wrench icon lit up on the dash with this problem though...

Quick Reply: Running Rough + Loss of Power = My Probelm