Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Electric cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Default Electric cooling fans

Seems that some cars with electric fans let them run for a while after shutting off the engine. How can I do that with my stang? I hate parking the car and having all that heat soaking under the hood. Is there any benefit to this?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Nefarious

Might be able to rig up something like a turbo timer to do it.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:49 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

An off delay timer would do it but without coolant circulation, why?
Attack it at the high speed fan relay in the BEC under the hood.
A commercially available 'turbo timer' could be made to work with
the S197s fan.
But again, why without coolant circulation?
Pull the heat out of the radiator and dump it on the already hot engine?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:03 PM
stanged

Automotive engineers call this soak temperature. What you want to do is move the engine compartment air out and move cooler air in. Several years ago when I would park in my garage (not my current Mustang) I would open the hood to let the trapped air out. Works quite well without a fan. Of course, you might not want to do this if you park outside unattended.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

IMO, running the radiator fan without moving any of the cooling water is kind of pointless. If you could rig up the fan AND an electric water pump (good for at least 4-5 RWHP, too), then you might have something.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:59 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Nuke
IMO, running the radiator fan without moving any of the cooling water is kind of pointless. If you could rig up the fan AND an electric water pump (good for at least 4-5 RWHP, too), then you might have something.
+1 mezere electric water pump
Old 06-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Big50
2nd Gear Member

This really isn't an issue unless your out at the track. Otherwise your car is going to heat right back up after a minute or two of driving. If you want cooler temps get a larger fluid reservoir or a more efficient radiator.

Last edited by Big50; 06-30-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford-a-tude
Seems that some cars with electric fans let them run for a while after shutting off the engine. How can I do that with my stang? I hate parking the car and having all that heat soaking under the hood. Is there any benefit to this?
You would need to have your hood opened/cracked or vented to get the most benefit from the electronic fan. To do this, get a diode and splice into the power wire going to the fan, run a line to the battery with either a switch or timer. The reason for the diode is it prevents energy from back feeding thru the fuse box. If you have a heat exchanger it works really well to cool the fluid down in the HE. You can also cycle your intercooler pump (KBs IC pump is on when the key is on) to cool down the intake manifold of the SC. I experimented in my garage with cooling down the HE water with a fan and it works rather well. Just placing a fan in front of the HE and running air across it lts the HE drop alot of heat.

Also, if you are trying to cool the motor with an external fan, place the fan on the motor upside down so it pulls cool air across the motor from under the car. Seems to work better.

Even if the water pump is not working. the water n the radiator and the HE will be cooled from the air coming across the fins.

The number one killer of electronic things, hoses,or any other parts for that matter under the hood is heat. If you can cool them off efficently it can help maintain the life of the part.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:17 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Simon1
You would need to have your hood opened/cracked or vented to get the most benefit from the electronic fan. To do this, get a diode and splice into the power wire going to the fan, run a line to the battery with either a switch or timer. The reason for the diode is it prevents energy from back feeding thru the fuse box. If you have a heat exchanger it works really well to cool the fluid down in the HE. You can also cycle your intercooler pump (KBs IC pump is on when the key is on) to cool down the intake manifold of the SC. I experimented in my garage with cooling down the HE water with a fan and it works rather well. Just placing a fan in front of the HE and running air across it lts the HE drop alot of heat.

Also, if you are trying to cool the motor with an external fan, place the fan on the motor upside down so it pulls cool air across the motor from under the car. Seems to work better.

Even if the water pump is not working. the water n the radiator and the HE will be cooled from the air coming across the fins.

The number one killer of electronic things, hoses,or any other parts for that matter under the hood is heat. If you can cool them off efficently it can help maintain the life of the part.
No need for the'diode'.
The fans run on relays so there could
not be any 'back-feeding' of power possable.

I have my low speed relay powering the high speed
relay so the fan runs on high speed whenever
the PCM demands low or hi speed.
Now thats a cooling mod that works...
Old 07-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. The intent here was not about boosting performance at all. Just cooling things down. The heat soaked motor heats up the entire garage when I park it. I have been popping the hood and using a box fan when I park it for the night.

Quick Reply: Electric cooling fans