Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2011 GT with Brembo brakes may in fact

Old 07-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Default 2011 GT with Brembo brakes may in fact

come with more than just the brakes, wheels/tires, and more lenient stability interference.

A couple of months ago I kept thinking, "I wonder if Ford did anything more for the 2011 GT with the Brembo Brake package than they are stating in the spec/order sheets."

I wondered if there was any suspension work or anything else.

WELL....in the latest Road and Track magazine they state:

"Ford...has given us the option with the Brembo brake package that includes brakes (taken off the GT500) and stiffer springs, shocks, and anti-roll bars."

Now I know R&T isn't the authority on what the package has, and it may very well be a journalistic mistake, but I'd think they'd of verified that with someone at Ford before printing.

If that's the case however, SWEET. As I stated, I secretively thought that might be the case as I've learned over the years, car manufacturers don't ALWAYS tell you everything they do or have done to certain car packages and upgrades.

Even though I have no plans to take my 2011 GT with Brembo brake package to a race track (though I may) I ordered the Brembo brakes for it's improved stopping, better looking brakes, and the hope that Ford did do something extra to the car they didn't list. The improved suspension and handling parts, if true, would be exactly what I was hoping for when I ordered the BBP.
The part number should verify it for sure, if there's two different part numbers for those suspension/handling parts for the 2011 GT, then in fact it's the case.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:32 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

If I'm not mistaken the Brembo brake package comes with 19" wheels with Pirelli max performance summer tires and a traction control retune.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Yes, it does, but the question that I've been wondering and that Road and Track stated is:
Does the Brembo brake package actually come with suspension improvements too that Ford does not openly state in the brochure with the Brembo Brake Package?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Well I posted this same thread on another Mustang forum and got this response from (apparently) someone in the know at Ford or either works for Ford, or did the investigation for me:

"There are different componants to the suspension if you get the Brembo brake kit. Your hunch was right.

There are ten different front struts currently on 2011 mustangs. For example:

GT coupe front is strut BR3Z-18124-B. (V6 with performance pack Job 2 uses the same strut)

GT coupe front "with performance brakes" is strut BR3Z-18124-E.

Spings are different too with the brake kit (seven types just for the front) but I'm not sure about any other parts.

There are also seven types of rear spring yet six types of rear shock.

There are only three different front sway bars and they all use the same lower control arms/bushings and sway bar end links/bushings.

There are three rear sway bars, each with it's own matching end links and bushings.

There is only one type of panhard bar and lateral stiffness bar, two types of rear lower control arms, (gt500 and non) one upper control arm but two different bushings for it. (gt500 and non)

There is one type of axle bumper. (and there are two)

Odd, but I see only one type of driveshaft for v6's, two for the GT's (auto and man) and one for the G500.

Ther are six types of steering gear/motor."

I'm glad my hunch was correct and glad Road and Track did their journalistic duties proud and looked into it before printing.

Just another bonus for us you ordered the Brembo Brake Package. Was a deal that $1,695 has turned out to be.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:52 PM
SandMan123
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't get overly excited about the different suspension components. From everything I've read, the suspension was upgraded for all of the 2011 GT models (based on the 2010 track package) and R & T is the only source that mentions anything about the brake package having a different suspension setup.

When I had my Mazdaspeed3, there were different part numbers based on small updates that were made to these parts that did not change their performance or overall specs. So just b/c it's a different part number doesn't mean it is actually "different" if that makes sense.

I have read from a couple of different sources that the TCS is tuned differently on the brake package models, however:

According to Ford, sales of their optional Brembo brake package for the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 have exceeded expectations by outpacing sales of the Track Pack last year (no numbers released).

The $1,695 Brembo package includes front 14-inch Brembo vented rotors and 4-piston calipers along with 11.8-inch vented rotors and 2-piston calipers out back. This package also includes unique electronic stability control (ESC) tuning and a gorgeous set of 19-inch' Dark Stainless painted aluminum wheels that provided added style and the added caliper clearance needed for the big front Brembo calipers.

With the 2011 GT you also get the 2010 Track Pack for free, which includes parts from the 2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT-500 and the 2008 Mustang Bullitt. This means upgraded lower rear control arms, thicker front and rear anti-sway bars, revised shocks/struts, stiffer springs and more aggressive front and rear brake pads. These parts combined to give the 2010 Mustang an impressive 0.93G skidpad rating, a number Car & Driver improved on by 0.01G with the 2011 Mustang GT (perhaps thanks to the sticky factory-equipped Pirelli P Zero rubber). Not too shabby for a $30k pony car!

With the popularity of the Brembo package, we can only conclude that the 2011 Ford Mustang GT is attracting a more performance-minded buyer, perhaps because of the great bang for the buck this muscle car represents or perhaps because of the popularity of the Mustang Challenge racing series, or even the sideways antics of pro drifters like Vaughn Gittin Jr. Whatever the case may be, we're seeing more and more new gen Mustangs at the track. Time to make the Camaro turn and brake a little (ok, a lot) better, GM.

Last edited by SandMan123; 07-06-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

I just reread the article on the 2011 GT in Automobile magazine and they have a part that says this:

"Ford uses five different steering calibrations for the Mustang, depending on whether the car is a coupe or a convertible, V-6 or V8, or if it's a GT with the Brembo brake package."

So there is yet another piece of evidence that you do in fact get more with the Brembo Brake package than what Ford lists in their literature.
You apparently get better (probably more precise and faster acting) steering calibrations as well.

Nice.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:13 AM
gkgeiger

Default Brembo's w/auto trans

I've been reading the specs on the '11 GT and came to the conclusion that you can only get the Brembo pkg with the 6spd. Can anyone verify this? I couldn't get many answers at the dealer I visited.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Ed1161

Originally Posted by gkgeiger
I've been reading the specs on the '11 GT and came to the conclusion that you can only get the Brembo pkg with the 6spd. Can anyone verify this? I couldn't get many answers at the dealer I visited.
Correct. The Brembo package is only available with the manual transmission.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:31 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

After driving the 11 i had for the week i really like the brembo package brakes, much better pedal feel than stock. i wonder when FRPP will get them on the aftermarket, i would like to add them to my 10 if they will clear my wheels.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 AM
SandMan123
1st Gear Member

I know the brembo brakes won't clear the stock 2011 GT wheels--the stock rotors barely clear them, so I'm certain you need to go 19's to get the larger discs to clear them.