Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2011 GT vs. Challenger R/T - help me decide

Old 07-07-2010, 08:11 AM
2011CS/GT
2nd Gear Member

If you go to you tube and type in 2011 Mustang Gt there is a pretty good video where Car and Driver faced these 3 cars off against each other. The order ended up being the Mustang, Dodge, and Camaro last. I can't remember what all they tested, but they said the Mustang was by far the superior car. As far as looks go the Dodge and Chevy do nothing for me. Of course I have seen about 500 people who think otherwise (cars on the road). Looks play a huge part for me. I could be in the fasest car on the road, but if I don't really dig the way it looks then it is going to eventually get old. Looks then performance and features are what do it for me. Of course you can always do things to make a car faster etc. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:51 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I prefer the look of a nice Challenger, almost to my Saleen. But in terms of power and handling it's really hard to compare. I think the same would be true of the new 5.0.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 AM
kawasakiguy
2nd Gear Member

The challenger looks the best out of the three pony cars, but that's where the it stops in the winning category. I'd buy one if I didn't car about track runs, mileage or anything other than just a sunday driver.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by raygun
I need to throw some larger things in the trunk sometimes and fit people into the back seat, etc.
If you are wanting to fit people in the back seat very often, then I would forget the Mustang, unless they are very tiny people.
Every other aspect - Mustang all the way.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:05 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

The Challenger looks the best out of the three. It's the most old school muscle car looking by far. Every time I see one I stare in awe. I really want one. They also sound A LOT better than the Mustang (4.6 and 5.0). With the stock exhaust gone of course. Stock is too quiet. But with no cats and flowmasters or pypes, man it's pure old school muscle.

The thing that gets me is the performance/price vs the mustang. The SRT8 Challenger is not slow, but for the price it should be faster. But, that's because of the weight. The original Challengers of the 70's were not light either though.

I really like the RT Classic, but would rather have the SRT8 engine in there.

I'll probably pick a mustang in a year or so for my 2nd car, but one day a used Challenger will be mine.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kawasakiguy
The challenger looks the best out of the three pony cars, but that's where the it stops in the winning category. I'd buy one if I didn't car about track runs, mileage or anything other than just a sunday driver.
+1 but not buy a lot
I think the Mustang 5.0 is miles ahead in terms of performance, interior etc.
As far as the Camaro, I think they are downright ugly inside and out
Old 07-07-2010, 03:30 PM
GOS47

To me the challenger is the best looking but just by a bit,I went with mustang GT it preforms alot better and is a very goodlooking car and I could not get the dodge people come down on the price very much. This new GT is a BADASS MACHINE I love it.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:42 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

Mustang. Next question...
Old 07-07-2010, 04:20 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Chrysler really fugged up with the Chally because it is the best looking one out of the 3.
But it's simply too big.

I mean, they have the Charger... A solid car with all the advantages that 4 doors bring.
Then, the Magnum... A cool car IMO, station wagon style but looks better than any SUVs and with the punch if you go SRT8.
These two cars answer the good old ways of American muscle with plenty of room.

The Challenger should have departed from those two...
Make it lighter than a Stang with a good handling and you'd had a winner!!
But no, dumb asses at Chrysler couldn't grasp that concept...
So instead you have another Charger with 2 doors and a cool look. Not good enough.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:27 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

I was in your same situation OP. The Challenger has the classic look to it and looks great. But the handling doesn't compare to the Mustangs and the weight also. With the Mustangs you can customize them to your personal preference and make it yours, as with the Challenger, as of now there aren't many parts yet. So all I see are the same Challengers where ever I go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 GT vs. Challenger R/T - help me decide