Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Weird exhaust sound during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 PM
ElDude

Default Weird exhaust sound during acceleration

The past week I've noticed that my exhaust is sounding kind of weird. It's most noticeable when I'm accelerating between 2k and 3K rpms in, but it sounds like the exhaust is reverberating, or like a knocking sound almost, it's hard to describe. There doesn't seem to be any loss in power that I can tell, it still shreds the tires if I want it to.

I thought maybe it was the new intake + 93 tune I put on where I advanced the MAF and Spark advance a tiny amount. But I reloaded the standard 93 tune and then the stock tune and still had the same noise. I also unhooked the battery to see if that would help, but no luck.

The only engine related mods I have are CAI, 93 tune, and a Corsa cat-back w x-pipe

Any help is appreciated
Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Don't mess with your MAF settings unless you know what you are doing.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:35 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I bet its trumpeting. From the inside its a knocking sound....kinda like bapbapbap or datdatdat. X and h pipes do this.....more so without stock cats. That rpm range is where it happens most frequently. That would be my guess.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

give it a little time with the new tune and see if it gets better.
got a vid of the sound?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:34 AM
ElDude

<i>I bet its trumpeting. From the inside its a knocking sound....kinda like bapbapbap or datdatdat. X and h pipes do this.....more so without stock cats</i>

That's exactly the sound that's happening. I have stock cats on it and the x-pipe and exhaust have been on the car since I bought it (@ 40,000 miles) it has 57,000 now.

I guess my main concern is if it's bad for the car
Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

ElDude, I had a 2010 (traded for a 2011) that had a tick/knock under load, but only between 2000 and 3000 RPM. Don't know if you are hearing the same thing, but your RPM range caught my attention.

It was heard mostly when I drove by buildings and accelerated within those RPMs. However, it came up from underneath the car, so I could even hear it bounce off curbs. It was worse on the passenger side. Happened since I bought the car with 900 miles on it, and it didn't matter what tune or exhaust was on the car.

I never did figure it out before trading it in . . . and the dealer(s) couldn't figure it out either, which instigated the trade Anyway, see this link:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...se-normal.html

Last edited by cidsamuth; 07-15-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 AM
ElDude

Now that I think of it, this has happened before, sort of. A few months ago I was driving in a complete downpour, roads were starting to flood and it was really hard to see. I turn left at a 4 way intersection onto a highway and my rear end kicks out real bad, traction control catches it but then my car felt like it had no power at all and the exhaust was making the same sound it is right now, except a lot worse and the car could hardly rev. But as soon as I turned the car off then back on, it was fine

The only reason I think that could be related is the exhaust sound is really similar as that time, except much less pronounced. And I started noticing this current issue after driving on an extremely rainy day last week
Old 07-16-2010, 02:21 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

hmmm. my aftermarket exhaust does funky things as far as sound and sometimes rattles a little. Was on the car when i bought it, my case is similar but not at 2-3k rpm. on my way to work today ill see if i can try to make my gt make that noise. and i wouldnt mess with your timeing at all!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:04 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Trumpeting.................very common. I plan to have some resonators welded in to finally get rid of it.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:12 AM
ElDude

So trumpeting can just start out of nowhere? the exhaust has been on there a while with no issues.

Quick Reply: Weird exhaust sound during acceleration