Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tranny might be gone.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:45 PM
cjb7804
1st Gear Member

Default Tranny might be gone.

Well I'll start with the back story. It's a 2006 GT with the 5r55s Auto. Iv'e got an American Muscle/Bama tune installed. My plan was to go to the strip on Sunday. Never have had any probles or indications of a problem in the 2 years that I've owned it. The car drove fine on Friday when I was doing a couple of errands, then later that evening, I brought the car down to my shop so I could put my DR's on and pull some weight out of the car on Saturday. The car seemed to drive fine down to the shop, untill I was backing up into the shop. It felt kind of like it was slipping as I was backing up, and It was slow engaging into reverse, if I gave it just a touch of throttle it would engage right away and go backwards. Seemed to engage into drive just fine. So I parked it in the shop and the next morning, I put my tires on and changed over to my 91 race tune, and pulled some weight out of the car. Started the car up and let it warm up, and figured I would see if it was acting funny in reverse again. Put it in reverse...got nothing, tried drive....got nothing again, tried moving back and forth between gears and you can't hear anything engage. The RPM's jump slightly when you put into drive or reverse. If you put it into park from a gear, you can kind of hear it dissengage. Tried to install one of my other tunes just hoping that I had a corrupt file...but it didn't change anything. Tried unhooking the battery for a little while, but same result. Haven't ever seen any leaks and it's spotless underneath so I'm not loosing any fluid. I'm also not getting any DTC's from my SCT X3, so I'm at a loss from here. I'm guessing it's the front pump, and if thats the case I'm probably looking at a new tranny. So my next question is, are the TCI street fighters seeming to hold up alright, or are the level 10's better, or do I go with a referb unit and trade it off for a manual. I'm not going to be able to do a 4r70w conversion so thats off my list. I've got a few VERY good tranny shops that I'm going to call on Monday and talk to and see what they think might be going on, but I'm sure without a good scan tool, it will be a pretty mute point. Just looking for some advice from ones that have had this experience happen to them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by cjb7804; 07-18-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:44 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

the only thing i can guess off the top of my head is tranny fluid loss. but you say there is no leaking... hmmm. def. take it to or call the tranny shop/shops you know of.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Welp my friend.
I just had my slave cylinder and bearings go out on my trans.
I also was having clutch slippage. I have a manual though... but if you are having slippage in your auto something
is happening.

I am at only 50k mi.
I have about 320RWHP and 305trq.

I daily drive the car and have raced it only a few times.
But I do get on it.

After my cams/gears/long tubes/catted x/ and tune was put on I started to get a knocking sound from my tranny.
metal shavings were found in my tranny oil.
I had to buy a whole new kit for mine.
I also went ahead and replaced the clutch and flywheel.

I actually have a thread about this but it is kinda long.
Here is the thread
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...se-help-4.html

I went with a SPEC stage 3 clutch since people were saying they had bad luck with the stage 2's and 2+'s.

But now I am worried I ordered the wrong one because American Muscle is saying the Stage 3 is only for heavily modified stangs that are track cars. and that the flywheels can wear faster on them especially in traffic.

Again this is my daily driver. We don't have bad traffic here in my town at ALL. It is about as light as you can imagine.
But still what American Muscle was saying still worries me with this being a daily driver.

Anyways.... take a look at that thread if you want.
I would suggest you have them empty the tranny oil and look for problems.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-18-2010 at 02:50 PM.