Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2011 6 spd manual trans.... made in China?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 PM
kcobra
2nd Gear Member

The whole thing in buy american is that the money is in the USA. No matter if it's made abroad, Ford is a US owned company and the money comes back to the US. Japanese cars that are made in the US might seem ok, but the money goes to Japan. I understand it makes jobs and such but you get my point? Anyways, I'm a die hard Ford guy and will always be. Hell, the MKZ is made in Mexico! WOW! Oh well. Great car.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:49 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
I understand that. China manufactures damn near everything these days from really crappy products to some of the worlds best, but we aren't talking about a knock-off purse here. Its sad that we have lost so much manufacturing in this country, but I guess I failed to see the shock that it was made there.
I agree. When I read the M82 tranny is made in China, I was actually floored. I bought Ford because of that beloved "1" that starts off the V.I.N.

"1" as in number one, good ole' America, Made in the USA.

I totally hate how our manufacturing is going to China, because of how China refuses to adopt worker's minimum safety work laws, and allow Chinese factories to exploit the workers and pay them pennies for the work they do. (Thus the extremely cheap labor costs.) China also purposefully makes their money value less than the US dollar so that they can siphon American manufacturing jobs away from us.

And all this is why Getrag decided to make the MT82 in China: to exploit near-slave labor and the devalued Chinese currency. And this is not just Gertrag doing this, but also GM having Chinese factories make some of their engines.

And as already mentioned, the Coyote engine is made in Canada, not good old Detroit or Ford's memorable Windsor.

Is the MT82 a bad tranny? No, I don't think so. But I chose Ford because it is supposed to be made in the USA to support fellow Americans and possibly help get some unemployed back to work, but the two major drive train components are made outside of US borders!

And it is Ford Corporate Office's decision to do this. I personally want to contribute to putting people back to work, and sadly, we consumers are the ones that must demand they keep manufacturing in the US so people can go back to work.

Also, the auto unions shot themselves in the damn foot. Instead of trying to gouge Ford to try to get more money, they should have began to work with Ford to make plans to PROTECT our jobs.
Who knows: with proper cooperation, the Coyote 5.0 engine AND the Getrag tranny could have been made in the US instead of outside of America

Last edited by JIM5.0; 07-31-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Dunno what to say. A lot of junk comes out of China these days. Look at all the cheap garbage tools they churn out. Total cheap trash.

Does that mean these transmissions are dog****? I dunno. Maybe. After learning that it's Chinese made I can't help but be suspicious about it's QC.
I would say that over 95% of the components in your computer (including the case itself) you used to type this with was manufactured in Taiwan or China. If you are using an Intel CPU on a laptop, it was most likely manufactured in China. Same with AMD. Your motherboard was most likely manufactured in China as well. It looks like you don't have any problem owning a computer primarily built in China.

That's not to say China doesn't have its issues. Those cheap tools you mention are definitely a cause for concern. I'm sure you've heard of the drywall issues as of late. Sure there are some really bad examples. But it doesn't mean everythign that comes out of that country is bad. Ford has gone through great lengths to restore their image with regards to quality. I don't think they would risk it all by not having a plan when it comes to having parts manufactured in China.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I agree. When I read the M82 tranny is made in China, I was actually floored. I bought Ford because of that beloved "1" that starts off the V.I.N.

"1" as in number one, good ole' America, Made in the USA.

I totally hate how our manufacturing is going to China, because of how China refuses to adopt worker's minimum safety work laws, and allow Chinese factories to exploit the workers and pay them pennies for the work they do. (Thus the extremely cheap labor costs.) China also purposefully makes their money value less than the US dollar so that they can siphon American manufacturing jobs away from us.

And all this is why Gertrag decided to make the MT82 in China: to exploit near-slave labor and the devalued Chinese currency. And this is not just Gertrag doing this, but also GM having Chinese factories make some of their engines.

And as already mentioned, the Coyote engine is made in Canada, not good old Detroit or Ford's memorable Windsor.

Is the MT82 a bad tranny? No, I don't think so. But I chose Ford because it is supposed to be made in the USA to support fellow Americans and possibly help get some unemployed back to work, but the two major drive train components are made outside of US borders!

And it is Ford Corporate Office's decision to do this. I personally want to contribute to putting people back to work, and sadly, we consumers are the ones that must demand they keep manufacturing in the US so people can go back to work.

Also, the auto unions shot themselves in the damn foot. Instead of trying to gouge Ford to try to get more money, they should have began to work with Ford to make plans to PROTECT our jobs.
Who knows: with proper cooperation, the Coyote 5.0 AND the Gertrag engine could have been made in the US instead of outside of America
It's easier said then done. If Ford doesn't adopt a model where they source parts and outsource some manufacturing overseas, they might not be able to survive. Or your new 5.0 may cost $40k instead of $30k. You get the point. Everyone want's to "buy American" but nobody offers any real solution to the problem. Ford isn't the only one doing it. Almost every U.S. company that sells product requiring complex manufacturing (cars, computers, electronics), or if their in a highly competitive industry (clothing), will outsource overseas because of cost. Let me ask you this question. Would you take a wage job of $4.25/hr to assemble transmissions? HELL NO. Thenyou wouldn't be able to afford a Mustang, right? So who else is going to do it?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:16 PM
kcobra
2nd Gear Member

It all comes down to coorperate greed boys. Cheap labor means more profits for the share holders and big wigs. We are a very greedy country. Deregulation, people making 20 and 30% return? It's nice, but that is why this stuff happens. No use complaining though because as I said before, we are greedy. I say build the factories and put people to work. There is much more to it than that though. They could also put higher tarriffs on imports, then it would make things more fair. I was a paperworker and it's a tough market. There are way too many foreign companies that can produce and ship the paper here cheaper than it costs us just to manufacture it. That shouldn't be. Other countries should supply there own paper and we should take care of our own! Anyways, long live Ford and the MUSTANG!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kcobra
It all comes down to coorperate greed boys. Cheap labor means more profits for the share holders and big wigs. We are a very greedy country. Deregulation, people making 20 and 30% return? It's nice, but that is why this stuff happens. No use complaining though because as I said before, we are greedy. I say build the factories and put people to work. There is much more to it than that though. They could also put higher tarriffs on imports, then it would make things more fair. I was a paperworker and it's a tough market. There are way too many foreign companies that can produce and ship the paper here cheaper than it costs us just to manufacture it. That shouldn't be. Other countries should supply there own paper and we should take care of our own! Anyways, long live Ford and the MUSTANG!
Kcobra, it's more than just corporate greed. It comes down to personal greed and everyone who opposes the use of cheap international labor must ask themselves this one question, "would you sacrifice the salary you make today to take less money to do what cheaper labor in other countries do to help support the luxuries that you own?" That's the question. I highly doubt anyone on here would make the necessary sacrifices to bring this type of labor back into the U.S. It's a sh!tty answer, but it's the cold hearted truth.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
Made in China and manufactured here in the gold ol' USA. Thats what American made means these days, thank corporate america for that. Oh and the Windsor engine is made in Windsor, Canada..... not Windsor, Michigan.
Cost of labor and taxes made it impossible to make a business case to keep it at home.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cusp
Cost of labor and taxes made it impossible to make a business case to keep it at home.
that too but I still blame the neck ties in the top offices, F#$k the man.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 PM
ronniegibson1978
2nd Gear Member

we gotta pay the chinese back for bailing our butts out someway lol...but as long as it runs good and don't break...i wouldnt worry. could u imagine how much the car would be if all the parts were made in the u.s.??? it would be way over 50k just for a 5.0
Old 07-31-2010, 12:48 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
Kcobra, it's more than just corporate greed. It comes down to personal greed and everyone who opposes the use of cheap international labor must ask themselves this one question, "would you sacrifice the salary you make today to take less money to do what cheaper labor in other countries do to help support the luxuries that you own?" That's the question. I highly doubt anyone on here would make the necessary sacrifices to bring this type of labor back into the U.S. It's a sh!tty answer, but it's the cold hearted truth.
Yeah, you are right. You hit on something that sucks seriously. The damn vicious cycle that is screwing up our economy now:

We Americans want cheap. And to provide cheap, the corporate guys outsource. And we Americans don't realize that buying cheap today could cost us our jobs tomorrow as our jobs continue to go overseas.

And tying this to the MT82, considering the Chinese Yaun is less than 15% of one US dollar, and also considering that China imports steel dumped from various place (Russia,, China themselves, and many other places), it is very possible that an MT82 tranny does not cost Gertrag more than probably $500 USD, and maybe another $50 to ship it to the US. (This $550 is just a guess; with the Yaun to Dollar exchange rate, and very low Chinese labor costs, the $550 might be high.)

And considering that buying a new Gertrag MT82 replacement would probably cost you $6000, that is a serious profit, gouing even. My guess is that Ford and Gertrag can make the MT82 in America and pay Americans fair wages and benefits, and adhere to EPA laws, and still make a profit.

If a Ford bean counter is willing to open your book and be transparent to us, the Ford customers, plesae correct every one of my guesses with your facts and true numbers.

Quick Reply: 2011 6 spd manual trans.... made in China?