Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

7 Non-typical Programmer/Tune/CAI Questions

Old 07-31-2010, 03:23 AM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

Default 7 Non-typical Programmer/Tune/CAI Questions

K, so I haven't touched the tune or the FRPP CAI on the SGT since we got it last fall, but after tonights **** poor showing at the track, it's time...

So here are my questions... I don't think they are typical questions about programmers and tunes and I couldn't find them in the search.

1. I have an XCal2 from Evolution Performance from my old 05 GT. I'm "told" the strategy codes are not the same and therefore I cannot load the tunes from my 05 (I returned it to stock and the tunes to the XCal) to my 07. First... is this true?

2. If it won't work, are we talking about scrambling my ECU if I try, or will it just not load? What will happen?

3. If it won't work, does anyone here know of Evolution will just change the strategy code on my tunes, and email them to me so I CAN load them on the 07?

4. Is there a programmer out there that can hold more than 3 tunes? I'd like to try and run some different tune shops tunes say, 3 from Evo, 3 from Bama, etc.

5. Whatever I do, I'd like to replace the stock intake tube with the C&L Racer tube, yet I'd like to retain the FRPP filter and air "box". The filter doesn't look like it would match up to the C&L Street I have... Can I use the C&L Racer with the stock FRPP filter and air box?

6. Is there any difference in tunes from Bama tunes from a year ago and those that are not Bama/American Muscle for the 05-09s? Saw a guy run stupid fast on a pre-AM, Bama tune tonight and I'm interested to say the least!

7. Lastly, I thought Evolution performance used to be a site vendor... has this changed? And how long ago? Or did I just make all that up?

Thanks,
Old 07-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

1. True, "Custom" Mailorder Tunes are written to the strategy code of an individual car. Thats to keep it form being used on multiple cars.

2. Does the Xcal 2 have "Canned" SCT Tunes as well? Is it new enough to have them for 2007 cars. If not can you update the tunes online at SCT like the X3/SF3? I so you can load the SCT Canned Tunes on your 2007 but not your Customs.

3. You can ask but you will likely have to pay for a new tune file for your car.

4. Not in the SCT Line.

5. I doubt it. At any rate the gains would be minimal.

6, Im sure Doug took his files with him, If they have changed its because he found improvements. I was pretty happy with mine (See Sig),

7. Dont know..
Old 07-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Just contact Brenspeed and AM. They'll e-mail you tunes for your Xcal2. If you explain what you're looking for either one can adjust them for a little more than what they typically send.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:50 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gene K
2. Does the Xcal 2 have "Canned" SCT Tunes as well? Is it new enough to have them for 2007 cars. If not can you update the tunes online at SCT like the X3/SF3? I so you can load the SCT Canned Tunes on your 2007 but not your Customs.
Thanks for the details response. I was hoping for one just like that. But I was confused by your response above. What I meant to say is I'm not SURE the strategy code is different for my 07 from my 05. Can I TRY to upload them? Or do I risk really F'ing something up? Or will they simply not load? I'd like to just try it, but not at the risk of really screwing up my stock ECU and stock tune.