Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Trying to plan ahead: what NOT to buy before going Whipple?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 PM
solidsnakegt89
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranzo
I cannot install headers with an SC? That cannot be right, can it? Or is there a certain order they must be installed?
I installed Headers and SC on the same weekend. All I can say is from exspireince I would install the headers first before the SC. Of course this will determin what kindof headers you have cause i put my SC on first then the headers and it was a pain lifting the engine off the motor mounts with the SC trying to hit up against the firewall. From my exspireince i wasted money on intakes tunes and tuners, what a waste i should have just added that money to get my SC sooner. Cause aftera SC install and other performance mods the best damn thing to do is just get a dyno tune from a good tuner. I say get suspension mods first the hadneling differences are awsome!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The whipple tune is made to work with the stock exhaust AFAIK. If the warranty is void with aftermarket headers then it may be due to that.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:20 AM
lexustech48
1st Gear Member

Personally Id say do the suspension first. Your going to be putting alot of power to the ground and for SURE the stock suspension will not play nice.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
The whipple tune is made to work with the stock exhaust AFAIK. If the warranty is void with aftermarket headers then it may be due to that.
I don't think you'll void the actual Supercharger warranty by using headers.
I think the lower output, non intercooled Whipple system, when installed by a Ford Racing dealer can retain the factory drivetrain warranty.
The high output intercooled system basically voids the factory drivetrain warranty though, at least it did back when I installed mine...

From what I've read, adding shorty headers probably won't affect things much.
Adding long tube headers will reduce backpressure and I guess could lean things out.
The Whipple install guide lists some of this at the end.

Oh, and I second the other post about doing suspension work first.
You'll need some stiff Lower control arms to handle all the power.
Some wider stickier tires is a must also.
Whipple HO system with stock P-zero tires = diaper required.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Everyone has their own advice, so here's mine. I prepped my car for a whipple by doing some supporting mods first. There is only one thing that you will absolutely need with a Whipple HO, and that's a clutch that can handle the power. Go ahead and get one now so that it's broken in before you put the supercharger on. If I were going to advise any other mods beforehand, I'd say get some decent LCAs because the stockers are crap. Other than that, save your money for the blower.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Not trying to say the clutch is a bad idea because it isn't. However didn't AmericanSpeed ride on the stock clutch and track his car on it with no problems for quite some time?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:38 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

I have long tubes on my car along with a Whipple HO and have not needed an aftermarket tune, however I do get a check engine light from time to time. My suggestions for pre-supercharger mods are:
Clutch is a must make sure to break it in correctly
Thumprr tensioner is a must
Lower control arms at the very least for suspension mods
Gauges help but arent necessary with a whipple tune as I have never had any problems
Bigger brakes can help but arent necessary I would say
1 piece drive shafts are nice but not necessary
A short throw helps for reaction time but not necessary.

So in conclusion all you really need is a thumprr tensioner and clutch