Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is it brown?? No its grey! Welcome to my MG Stang

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Blacklabelsociety

Default Is it brown?? No its grey! Welcome to my MG Stang

Whatup dudes!

Finally picked up my first Mustang in April after years of being infatuated over it! My original plan was to buy a new edge GT but the almighty hand of irrational logic(parents) kept me out of a V8 and instead into a 05' G35 6mt(what??). Cuz 280 hp in a v8 is much less safe than 290 from a v6! damn was that a slick car . But I wanted a MUSTANG, I needed the rumble/gurgle/pantie soaking/tremor lope of a V8 that laced my mind since my first ride in a 1998 GT.

Now here I am with a shiny 05 Mineral Grey 5sp GT that I picked up in Pasadena, CA for 15k with 30k on the odo! And after last weeks Boomtube install I havent stopped blowing my load every time I start my powerboat ooops I mean mustang...
But I have some questions!

First! How the hell do I chose a color scheme for mods!?
Since you never see Mustangs on the road due to the exclusivity of our cars My first plan of attack is to separate my Mustang from the bland stock look.
I want to start with wheels/susp, but I cant decide on what color wheels! I have my mind set on the saleen 7 spoke 20s, but since mineral grey GTs are actually pretty exclusive I cant find any pictures of any MGs on any wheels!

As for the rest of the car, I plan on adding, cdc aggressive chin unpainted, roush grill with fogs behind grill, blackout panel in back, paint or vinyl the roof black, CS side louvers, maybe quarter panels and skirts?(need opinions), and spoiler delete. and maybe extended tips for the boomtubes then painted satin black or black chrome.

How would it look if I had the side louvers, quarter panels, and spoiler, painted black along with the above mods? Just food for thought as it would make the car stick out.

Next

I have no intention of stripping out the car, but I would love for it to feel lighter. Can this be done with any mods? alum DS? susp? any thoughts?

Thx Homies!
If you happen to live around Pasadena and see a MG gt gimme a honk its probably me, cause I havent seen my car yet!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

You can't go wrong with chrome or black rims. I'd vote for deep-dish chrome bullitts, my favorite. Check out americanmuscle.com they have a great selection of parts, accessories etc. and make sure you get the forum discount code. Sounds like you have a pretty good game plan

An aftermarket aluminum driveshaft will free up some weight resulting in a slight hp gain

I really like the color, don't see it around much

Last edited by Alec; 08-02-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:21 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

How about a paint scheme like Foose does on some of his... You know keep the stock color, but paint the top part (from just below the windows and up, including the hood) black... That would definitely cause your 'stang to stand out...

Don
Old 08-02-2010, 04:41 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Black stripes, black rims with chrome lip. Start there.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Damn their is nothing like a mineral gray s197, ask me how I know .... . Very nice pick up man, I just bought mine 3 weeks ago with 40k on the clock for around the same price.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 PM
nickb2236
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by alec231236
and make sure you get the forum discount code.
What discount code? AM gives you a discount for being on this forum?

OP, you will might still have to get the CDC chin spoiler painted, I bought mine from AM and it was a black primer that did not look good at all. I would do chrome rims first and then lower it to give an aggressive look. I like the black chin & rear spoiler, louvers on light colored cars.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickb2236
What discount code? AM gives you a discount for being on this forum?
Yeah it's like 6% off. Not a lot, but adds up. PM AMStanger for it
I'm pretty sure you have to have 50+ posts for it

Moss Muscle and a few others do it as well
Old 08-03-2010, 07:15 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Personally I'm not big on dual painted cars. I've seen a few s197's around my area and it just doesn't work right IMO. Even today I seen a black s197 with a red roof.

Some people do paint their spoiler/wing a different color but it again depends on your color scheme.

If you're going to put on a Roush grille, I'm partial to just putting on the front fascias and the chin..

You might want to think about getting a CAI and custom tune first. It will give you a quick improvement to the car, especially if it's an automatic instead of ripping it apart to lighten it.

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:52 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Congrats dude, that is my favorite color..........wanted it bad myself. If it was me, black wheels with or without polished lip. Deep dish bullits would be awesome. Chrome would look good, but I just am not a fan of chrome. If you go black, I would black out the GT emblems, pony and fake gas cap. Very easy and cheap to do. A black out panel would look great. I got mine (stack racing) from AM. Tried the magnetic one.....POS IMO. Before I spent a dime on looks I would buy a CAI and tune unless you plan to go FI route. Take you time and make a long term goal plan for your car and you wont waste any hard earned dollars!!

I can tell your stoked..............its was big score!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:41 AM
jiga
2nd Gear Member

With your color, I think black bullits with polished lip would look great, deep dish on the back. Go with the painted chin spoiler, add a shaker hood, then black 12" lemans racing strips and make sure to take those stripes all the way down over the chin spoiler.

I really love the black and blue theme on my GT.

Quick Reply: Is it brown?? No its grey! Welcome to my MG Stang