Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

So, I guess I dont "fear the gear"...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

Default So, I guess I dont "fear the gear"...

I just pulled the trigger on a set of 4.10s with the install kit. Looking forward to the "seat of the pants feel" that everyone talks about. I alomst didn't get them; I was set on 4.10s until two races almost changed my mind. Both Mustang GTs, both I ended up pulling out on the top end (one I literally burried the needle past 140...). Those made me think hard whether 4.10s were right form me, but I figgured thats only twice it's happened, but I go 0-100 all the time.

I've got about a month before the install, as I have a few more parts that I'll be waiting on. But I will be putting in everything myself (with the help of some friends, of course).

Whats going in the car:

Steeda CAI
MSD COPs
65mm TB (I know, I know)
Bosh plugs
CMDPs
Steeda UDPs
FRPP struts
lowering springs
4.10s
tune

I'm also looking to pick up the CDC chin spoiler, but I'm gonna wait to see how low the car is before I decide on that. I also will be shopping around for the right axle back to give me a good sound.

I would like to do ported heads and cams in the future, and maybe N2O, but thats pretty far off.

Also, anyone know the best tunners that support the Diablosport?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:01 PM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

Since you're using a bunch of Steeda stuff, you might want to check out their axle-backs. I heard them yesterday on their Steeda Sports Edition GT, it sounds great.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:20 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I love my 4.10's and never regretted getting them. Enjoy.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by floridafordguy
Since you're using a bunch of Steeda stuff, you might want to check out their axle-backs. I heard them yesterday on their Steeda Sports Edition GT, it sounds great.
Nice. I'll look into them then.

I really can't wait to feel the 4.10s. I've had some cars with some power in the past, but nothing with so steep a gear. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

OP good selection in gears man, you're gonna love them!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
OP good selection in gears man, you're gonna love them!
Yeah, I'm gonna be putting them in myself as well... Thats the only part that worries me, I just dont want them to whine.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I don't know your expertise or what equipment you have, but it requires specialty tool to measure the backlash. If your gear whined on install, most likely it wont go away since the pattern would already been set. Just a heads up.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
I don't know your expertise or what equipment you have, but it requires specialty tool to measure the backlash. If your gear whined on install, most likely it wont go away since the pattern would already been set. Just a heads up.
Yeah, I've got a little experiance with it, and between myself and my buddy who will be helping me put them in, we have all the tools we need (were also throwing a set of 4.56s in his 4x4 truck). I have been gathering every shread of info I can on what can go wrong and what to watch out for.

I've been apart of a couple of installs, with an individual who had performed dozens before. I learned alot from it, but it was supervised. I wish he was here to assist with mine, but such is the nature of the military....
Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

If you have never put gears in before, there's no way I would advise you putting them in on your new car. Especially these cars.
They are VERY finicky about how they like to be installed.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:55 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
If you have never put gears in before, there's no way I would advise you putting them in on your new car. Especially these cars.
They are VERY finicky about how they like to be installed.
You couldn't be more right! I've had 3 gear installs by 3 different shops ( 2 sets of 3.73's and 1 set of 4.10's and they all whine!) I'm so damn sick of the whine, I'm going to get a complete axle from newtakeoff.com and have the old one dropped out and the new one installed, no more BS, unfortunately, I am into close to 2 k already with gear sets and install labor. But my car sounds like crap and I can't take it anymore, so I'm getting a complete unit...done!!! BTW I love 4.10's ..and I'm auto!

Quick Reply: So, I guess I dont "fear the gear"...