Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help me configure 2011 GT convertible PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by veganmom
GREAT INFO THANK YOU.
No leather is a vegan thing. Think of it as a near-religious objection.
APparently on the GT non-premium, there's no stereo system options at all, and you get ONE CD slot. I'll have to see if there's an accessories/stereo place that can put a different CD changer in there. Sheesh! I know, it's a little thing compared to a 5.0, but....

Brembo has no spare tire. That's the main thing putting me off of that. I know the goop fixes everything but a sidewall blowout, but still...I want a spare tire, even if it's a mini.

Gear ratios: The brochure the dealer gave me said the gt manual could have a 3.55:1, but they're not seeing it as an available option in the order system. Any insight on the gear ratios that I can REALLY get?

Thanks!
OK I get it on the leather (granted only the parts you sit on are actually leather), I'm note sure you will be able to get the other options you want without getting a premium. Another option would be to buy the car, then have the dealer send it to a leather shop for you and get the leather replaced with vinyl. Katskin makes some kits for the 10 and 11 and those you can get in vinyl. Keep your take off covers and you can sell them to recoup some of the cost for the new seats. In the stang i would figure a set of vinyl from kat would set you back about $1000 installed. wrap it into the note even if you want.

ALso, and i am not trying to be sexist at all here, if my wife had a flat she woudl call me to change it even though she coudl do it Would you change your own flat? Teh car comes with road side assistance jsut so you kow, they will come fix your flat and probably as fast as your husband/friend/sig other could get there to help. Just saying, bont rule out those cool wheels over the lack of a spare. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:58 AM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

Default Ordered MY GT Vert in 2007

I went thru the same decision making process a couple of years back. I ordered my 2007 GT vert in the summer of 06. The vehicle I ordered has all 2007 options with the exception of the auto trans, the cloth top and the Shaker 1000. I also ordered the vehicle with the spoiler delete option. It now has 5,500 miles on it.

I am not particularly familiar with the options on the 2011 mustangs, but after reading the posts made here, I thought I would offer a couple of thoughts.

1. Aftermarket Interior. Somewhere here suggested the idea. That is what I did. I had Katzkin black/red leather seats put in and I am pleased with them. Since I wanted heated seats to begin with, I had to order the vehicle with factory leather. It was very easy to sell the original leather seat covers on ebay. I got $300 for them from some guy in Germany. I recommend heated seats if they are available, if it is cold in your area.

2. Cloth Top. I was talked out of this by my salesman who, at the end of it all, was a disappointment. I would probably order it if I could go back. It looks better. The only negative is fuzz or cottonwood from trees. I have seen a couple parked outside that looked weird. No problem like that with vinyl.

3. Shaker 1000. I could not justify the expense. I actually sat at a dealer's lot one day and had 2 new Mustangs at my disposal. One had the Shaker 500 and one had the Shaker 1000. After going from car to car listening to the same music for 20 minutes or so, I could not see the value and deleted it from my order.

4. And lastly I have to respond to the comment made here about the new Camaro. I happened to be renting one right now that is a 6 cylinder. It is an inexpensive model and overall the fit and finish of the interior comes off as cheap. Being a 6 cylinder, it is slow until the revs are way up. And the interior visibility of the coupe is terrible. BUT - the handling is great. It handles far better than my 2007 mustang, most likely due to the rear wheel independent suspension. All bias aside, I believe that would be an objective evaluation.

Good luck. I am very pleased with my mustang and have enjoyed it much. A link to some photos is below if you are interested.

http://s107.photobucket.com/home/wku...view=slideshow
Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

If you get the Brembo package.. you're not going to need the rollbar

Also... it would take a hell of a lot to flip a Mustang.

The only downsides to the Brembo package are:

Summer-only tires if you live in a cold climate.... and you can't just swap on some "beater" wheels in the winter; the wheels are 9.5 inches wide in order to clear the brakes. Unless you can find some GT500 wheels and put some all season tires on them.. an aftermarket wheel/tire combo for winter driving could be expensive.

If you park the car in the winter.. the Brembo package is a fantastic deal for what you get. The brakes with installation alone cost more than the package.. and the package comes with a stiffer suspension + a great wheel/tire combo.

As for your other questions.... if you have enough self-control to walk out of a dealership without once there.. sitting down with a sales manager will answer all of your questions. He/she can build a car using Ford's database and tell you exactly what combination you can order. The public "build and price" website is not accurate. For example, when I was building my car, the website allowed me to add the machined 19 inch CS wheels to the Brembo package even though they are not wide enough.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 AM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
If you get the Brembo package.. you're not going to need the rollbar

Also... it would take a hell of a lot to flip a Mustang.

The only downsides to the Brembo package are:

Summer-only tires if you live in a cold climate.... and you can't just swap on some "beater" wheels in the winter; the wheels are 9.5 inches wide in order to clear the brakes. Unless you can find some GT500 wheels and put some all season tires on them.. an aftermarket wheel/tire combo for winter driving could be expensive.

If you park the car in the winter.. the Brembo package is a fantastic deal for what you get. The brakes with installation alone cost more than the package.. and the package comes with a stiffer suspension + a great wheel/tire combo.

As for your other questions.... if you have enough self-control to walk out of a dealership without once there.. sitting down with a sales manager will answer all of your questions. He/she can build a car using Ford's database and tell you exactly what combination you can order. The public "build and price" website is not accurate. For example, when I was building my car, the website allowed me to add the machined 19 inch CS wheels to the Brembo package even though they are not wide enough.
The dealer's data base isn't accurate either. I sat with the sales manager at a giant Ford dealership, and his system allowed him to put 3.73s on a GT automatic. That's why I told the OP "confusion is job one".
Old 08-12-2010, 11:14 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

As for the extra 2 guages, the oil pressure is an idiot light type of guage.
There is no pressure transducer on the engine.
Just an above 5 psi sressure switch.

The shaker has been a sheitter in the past so pass on it.
Its simulated leather so the vegan thing should not be a problem.
There has to be a 2011 order guide like for the 05-09 models...

A simple google search turned this up first thing...

The local community college probably has some internet courses you can take.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2006mustangorderguide.pdf (376.0 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by 157dB; 08-12-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

GT Convertible with Manual is definitely 3.31 only and the 19 x9.0 Brembo Wheels are the only wheels that will come on a Brembo Car. Also the Suspension and Tire Specs are different on the Convertible. You will get softer springs and Goodyear Supercar Tires. Im pretty sure they are SC1 and not the new SC2 like the GT500 SVTPP.

Found It Job 2 Order Guide. Couldnt find a Job 2 Price Guide so the prices may be outdated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2011MustangPriceGuide.pdf (24.7 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Gene K; 08-12-2010 at 01:36 PM.