Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Final Motor Mods Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Default Final Motor Mods Dyno

I'm done with my motor. This is as far as I will take it. These numbers came from a built shortblock with 9.5:1 cr, gt500 injectors, hpx maf, frpp tb, 10% overdrive balancer, 8 rib pulley setup, and 3.2 inch Reichard slotted pulley mounted on a 2.3 liter Whipple.

Throughout all my modding I've made a point of checking what I've done on a dyno and having the tune modified if needed. One thing I've noticed is the weather can really affect a blower. All my dyno sessions are weather corrected but humidity can really bring a blower down. Numbers don't mean that much anyway, my main purpose for going on the dyno is to make sure the motor is as safe as it can be. I think my Whipple is past it's most efficient zone. Going from a 3.5 to 3.2 netted 21 rwhp. Hopefully I'll get to the local test and tune on Friday.

The new numbers are 523rwhp 515 rwtq.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Was the boost 16.4? Looks pretty good. I've been driving mine around @15 psi pretty much since I had it tuned. I think I should change it over to the 10 psi tune and get some better mileage, but who cares really?

So yes, the blowers are really sensitive to heat and moisture. The moister the air, the less efficent your HE (what I have been told), which means less HP because a good tuner will make your car pull some timing if needed.

By going to a larger tank with that same HE, I gain some MPH in the 1/4. Add a big ice tank to the trunk or one behind the bumper or something, IAT's rapidly decrease and power increase is just amazing. I have never had an issue controling my car while at the track. But the added power caused some slipping in 3rd gear and I had to get out of it.

You need to go to the track. Find some way to really cool the intercooler water off between rounds, or just dump ice in it somewhere.

If you want some pics of what I did. i will snap some and post for you.

How much timing did you have? I'm at 16 i think @ 15 psi. 17.5 @10 psi.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:03 AM
kawasakiguy
2nd Gear Member

I'll bet that's a blast to drive.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

thanks for posting that Bruce. the torque available at low rpms is impressive.

are your plugs still gapped at .032? mine are and i'm hoping it will be fine for
my modest 12psi. like you i'm done with my motor and motor related mods.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:22 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Great numbers!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

nice..
Old 08-05-2010, 06:13 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Was the boost 16.4? Looks pretty good. I've been driving mine around @15 psi pretty much since I had it tuned. I think I should change it over to the 10 psi tune and get some better mileage, but who cares really?

So yes, the blowers are really sensitive to heat and moisture. The moister the air, the less efficent your HE (what I have been told), which means less HP because a good tuner will make your car pull some timing if needed.

By going to a larger tank with that same HE, I gain some MPH in the 1/4. Add a big ice tank to the trunk or one behind the bumper or something, IAT's rapidly decrease and power increase is just amazing. I have never had an issue controling my car while at the track. But the added power caused some slipping in 3rd gear and I had to get out of it.

You need to go to the track. Find some way to really cool the intercooler water off between rounds, or just dump ice in it somewhere.

If you want some pics of what I did. i will snap some and post for you.

How much timing did you have? I'm at 16 i think @ 15 psi. 17.5 @10 psi.
Peak boost read 16.4. I was told it was reading about .5 high so 16 or a little under would be about right for peak with an average around 15.

There is a test and tune tomorrow afternoon. I plan to be there. I have taller 1st and 2nd gears now with the 6060. That combined with my 3.55's might not help et's. Just bought a true track today, it may be going in with 4.10's depending how things go.

I noticed iat's have gone up with the smaller pulley. On the drive home it was averaging mid one teens, usually bumping from 114-118 (80 degrees outside temp). With the 3.5 inch pulley it's usually lower 100's or even high 90's. My tune is set to pull timing at 137 degrees. Timing was 18 during the pull. My iat sensor is in a back manifold runner.

I would say I'm at a point of diminishing returns right now. At least with the 2.3 liter blower. Perhaps blower cams and or ported heads would remedy that. I plan to do nothing to the car after the true track goes in. Right now it's very driveable, wickedly fast (to me anyway). Any more power and I'll have to start upgrading or replacing broken stuff.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:18 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
thanks for posting that Bruce. the torque available at low rpms is impressive.

are your plugs still gapped at .032? mine are and i'm hoping it will be fine for
my modest 12psi. like you i'm done with my motor and motor related mods.
I just put a fresh set in two days ago. CJ Pony parts had them for $86 shipped. I had to gap them myself and used a piece of .030 stock. There was a little bit of spring back and I'd say they are closer to .032 than .030.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:58 PM
shane.stockard
2nd Gear Member

Nice numbers.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

ok great, i feel better about my current gap.

Quick Reply: Final Motor Mods Dyno