Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The Boss is Back Boys

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:23 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
FWIW I saw a 2011 5.0 make 395rwhp and 376tq while I was waiting for a tune adjustment. Stock was 367, an sct canned tune made 377 and the tuner got it to 395 with more left on the table. I believe the boss' power increase will come from a mild tune improvement. Just a guess.
That is lame. For the cosmetic stuff, just a tune for more HP when you could retune yourself and get some bolt-on upgrades?

You might as well buy a base GT (300A package) and buy the bolt-on upgrades yourself and retune to Boss performance (actually better).

The Boss in this case better not cost more than a GT Premium, if the only thing that sets it apart form a'11 GT is a mild tune and some minor bolt-on upgrade.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:45 AM
RAMAIR

FWIW I saw a 2011 5.0 make 395rwhp and 376tq while I was waiting for a tune adjustment. Stock was 367, an sct canned tune made 377 and the tuner got it to 395 with more left on the table. I believe the boss' power increase will come from a mild tune improvement. Just a guess.
Not even close to just a tune change. This is right from fords website.

Hi-Po 302 4V Ti-VCT V8 engine
The 440-horsepower* Hi-Po 302 4V Ti-VCT V8 engine features a "runner in the box" intake manifold and forged pistons, sodium valves, valve springs, new rods, oil cooler, and high-lift cams. This engine is capable of 7,500 rpm

With a tune this thing will be a beast and I would think even get better gains from a tune than the 2011 5.0

Check out this article about the new 2012 Boss this car is much more than just cosmetics and tune.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...302/index.html

Last edited by RAMAIR; 08-16-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:39 AM
WildWes11
2nd Gear Member

I was going to start quoting everyone and shooting down all their arguments but it will just be easier to say the Boss (to me) is disappointing, the only thing it really has from what I've seen is some fairly nice suspension(not good enough to me for 10k+ price tag add that will likely happen) and to the cams and intake that only add 28hp ... I say fail... and to the "forged pistons" ford said themselves that it was only for the 500 add to the rpm range so the car would be like the old high revving Boss of yester-year, still has the same CR as the GT ... so yea nothing significant about it that I can see, OH WAIT the AC'd brakes gotta love them
Old 08-16-2010, 09:17 AM
RAMAIR

No doubt some stealerships are going to try and get a premium price for the Boss but if you shop around I would think you could get one for around 40K and to me it is worth that with all they have done. I am sure that +28 hp is much more once tuned and if I know Ford its probably an underrated 440 HP.

The only thing I am not a huge fan of so far is the roof. I wish they would have just left the paint the same. I also think the regular street Boss is better looking than the Luguna Seca version.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:39 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
That is lame. For the cosmetic stuff, just a tune for more HP when you could retune yourself and get some bolt-on upgrades?

You might as well buy a base GT (300A package) and buy the bolt-on upgrades yourself and retune to Boss performance (actually better).

The Boss in this case better not cost more than a GT Premium, if the only thing that sets it apart form a'11 GT is a mild tune and some minor bolt-on upgrade.
I'm missing something here. I was quite impressed that a na 5.0 was making 395 to the ground with only a tune. I certainly didn't think it was lame, that's alot of power.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RAMAIR
Not even close to just a tune change. This is right from fords website.

Hi-Po 302 4V Ti-VCT V8 engine
The 440-horsepower* Hi-Po 302 4V Ti-VCT V8 engine features a "runner in the box" intake manifold and forged pistons, sodium valves, valve springs, new rods, oil cooler, and high-lift cams. This engine is capable of 7,500 rpm

With a tune this thing will be a beast and I would think even get better gains from a tune than the 2011 5.0

Check out this article about the new 2012 Boss this car is much more than just cosmetics and tune.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...302/index.html
Hey thanks for the info. I wonder what's different about the rods and what the cam specs are.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:40 PM
ronniegibson1978
2nd Gear Member

its sorta sounding like the owners of the current 2011 models are a lil jealous of the upcoming boss
Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I'm missing something here. I was quite impressed that a na 5.0 was making 395 to the ground with only a tune. I certainly didn't think it was lame, that's alot of power.
395 RWHP or 395 ft-lbf RW torque?
So far, I have not seen the new 5.0 make 395 RW of either with just a tune. All the new 5.0 that were making more than 370 RW torque or HP were from mods plus tunes.

According to the specs, the Boss Coyote, as it will be sold on the lots, will have 10 less ft-lbf crank torque than the '11 Coyote. This would unfortunately translate to much less RW torque in the 1:1 tranny gear.

For the Boss Coyote, if those new cams have some nice lift and duration increases, I am actually wondering why they gimped the Boss engine with such a lame tune if it would be capable of 395 RW torque and/or HP.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ronniegibson1978
its sorta sounding like the owners of the current 2011 models are a lil jealous of the upcoming boss
None can deny that. Many of us shelled out good money to be the first on the block to have the '11 Coyote, a never seen before engine that stops the competition.

I guess if anyone of us want to slap on forced induction or at the very least bring our '11 Coyotes to Boss Coyote specs, we would have to rebuilt our '11 Coyotes with the forced crank con-rods and appropriate pistons.

What I am anticipating is for the Coyote get new heads with direct injection specifically designed into them. If it will not be offered in anything 2012, maybe it will be 2013 or 2014 models.

When those direct injection heads become available to the aftermarket, I can see alot of guys buying them up as part of the '11 Coyote rebuild options.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:44 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
395 RWHP or 395 ft-lbf RW torque?
So far, I have not seen the new 5.0 make 395 RW of either with just a tune. All the new 5.0 that were making more than 370 RW torque or HP were from mods plus tunes.

According to the specs, the Boss Coyote, as it will be sold on the lots, will have 10 less ft-lbf crank torque than the '11 Coyote. This would unfortunately translate to much less RW torque in the 1:1 tranny gear.

For the Boss Coyote, if those new cams have some nice lift and duration increases, I am actually wondering why they gimped the Boss engine with such a lame tune if it would be capable of 395 RW torque and/or HP.
I'm pretty sure that earlier in this thread I posted 395rwhp and 376rwtq. That was in 5th which is the 1:1 gear. This was the only one I've seen on the dyno. It was the second one my tuner had on his dyno, the first one was 367rwhp stock and the guy didn't want to tune it.

Sounds like you've seen quite a few on a dyno. How many have you seen tuned and with what mods done? Sct just released the software and enhanced tuner very recently, in fact my tuner purchased the software that day.

Quick Reply: The Boss is Back Boys