MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Battery keeps dying!?!? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/613435-battery-keeps-dying.html)

stanngg 08-16-2010 10:23 PM

Battery keeps dying!?!?

So my battery was dead when I went to leave work today. I know for sure I didn't leave anything on. Got a jump and now it's fine...and will be for another several months, but will probably happen again. This has happened twice before over the last year. Doubt if battery needs to be replaced yet. Charging problems possibly. Has anyone else experienced this?

stealth_GT 08-17-2010 02:38 AM

It's most likely the alternator. I had mine replaced TWICE. Same issues are you described...

Nuke 08-17-2010 07:01 AM

Search the forum and you'll find loads of info on battery and alternator issues plus at least one related TSB. The Motorcrap batteries have been known to have poor capacity and longevity. It seems obvious that there is a relatively large # that came off the assembly line with some issues.

Although it seemed to be fixed with most of these cars in '07, leaving the Shaker system on when you turn off the ignition is one possible culprit. But there are many other factors that could cause a chronic issue like that. You may want to have the battery and alternator tested (most auto parts stores will do it for free). Keep us posted.

Goldenpony 08-17-2010 07:41 AM

I agree, get the alternator tested - if it's OK, get a new battery (before winter).

Soldier GT 08-17-2010 07:52 AM

+1 on the battery. OP are you running UDP's? Don't know for sure but thought I read somewhere that UDP's affect the charging system..

Nuke 08-17-2010 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Soldier GT (Post 7156318)
+1 on the battery. OP are you running UDP's? Don't know for sure but thought I read somewhere that UDP's affect the charging system..

MAYBE true if you're doing a LOT of stop-n-go driving and running some heavy duty electrical loads. Even then, with everything healthy, I'd doubt it. He shouldn't be experiencing that in Blackwood NJ unless he's sitting in Philly or Cherry Hill traffic.

stealth_GT 08-17-2010 11:41 AM

I always shut off my Shaker 1000 system now.

Goldenpony 08-17-2010 01:50 PM

I don't know how much credence I put in that Shaker system story. I never turn off my Shaker 500 in my '06 GT and I have let my car sit for 2 weeks at a time and have never had a battery problem.

JIM5.0 08-17-2010 07:16 PM

+1 on checking the alternator. That is the primary cause of why batteries die and don't recharge.

As for the battery that comes with the care when you buy it, I have only three words that proves its a piece of s***:
Made in China

JohnTN 08-21-2010 10:06 AM

A number of months ago, my '06 with original battery went dead after just 5 days. I recharged the battery and now try to always turn the Shaker 1000 off. Until then I had generally left the system on. It had set up to 2 weeks before with no problem.

This week the battery wouldn't start the car although voltage was 12.35 v after setting 10 days. I trickled charged it to 12.75 v and it started. One hour later it wouldn't start and battery only registered 10.5 v, so time to replace the battery.

J