Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Are the pictures parts new?
Yes - NEW
9.52%
No - Used
90.48%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

What say you, ARE THESE PARTS NEW?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Well, per the advertisement he says. "Like new condition" I would have asked for pictures of everything prior to making the purchase.

Anyway, with all that being said they do not look like they have been used for very long. The crank pulley, aside from being beat up (looks like from some shipping and handling or just misuse) doesn't look terribly bad and looks like both pieces can still function at 100%. I know it sucks to you that you thought you were getting a brand new piece of of the box. In my experience Steeda, although has a great product, has very horrible packaging.

Use a file to file off any barbs and maybe some paint to the gouged pieces and give it a try to see if they work. As long as they are mechanically sound, you are good to go.

Sorry for your misfortune, learn from your mistakes. Does that mean not trusting any member here? No... some of us have been here a while, and will be here a while. I'd go with a member that is pretty active here and not someone that just joined the site yesterday trying to come on and sell parts. Of course ask for pictures, anyone willing to sell some parts to regain some of their funds should be willing enough to take any necessary pictures to make the sale happen. If with all that you still aren't interested in buying from members here, then that is your choice and you don't have to of course.

Good luck,
Kal
Old 08-22-2010, 01:39 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

The idler pully you can see the belt marks on, so obivously used, but like new. Wish his car looked like that when new.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:39 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

I don't see how a few scratches and scuffs affects the usefulness of these pulleys. Sure, they won't look as pretty, but a) it's nothing another coat of paint won't cure, and b) they still work fine.

I feel bad that you got gypped on the item description, but you still have a perfectly functioning set of pulleys. I understand why you're upset, but I don't see why you're as upset as you are.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:54 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Well, per the advertisement he says. "Like new condition" I would have asked for pictures of everything prior to making the purchase.

Anyway, with all that being said they do not look like they have been used for very long. The crank pulley, aside from being beat up (looks like from some shipping and handling or just misuse) doesn't look terribly bad and looks like both pieces can still function at 100%. I know it sucks to you that you thought you were getting a brand new piece of of the box. In my experience Steeda, although has a great product, has very horrible packaging.

Use a file to file off any barbs and maybe some paint to the gouged pieces and give it a try to see if they work. As long as they are mechanically sound, you are good to go.

Sorry for your misfortune, learn from your mistakes. Does that mean not trusting any member here? No... some of us have been here a while, and will be here a while. I'd go with a member that is pretty active here and not someone that just joined the site yesterday trying to come on and sell parts. Of course ask for pictures, anyone willing to sell some parts to regain some of their funds should be willing enough to take any necessary pictures to make the sale happen. If with all that you still aren't interested in buying from members here, then that is your choice and you don't have to of course.

Good luck,
Kal
Great, so I made a mistake?! From trusting another MF member to be honest about what they are selling... wow. My apologies for my mistake.

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
I don't see how a few scratches and scuffs affects the usefulness of these pulleys. Sure, they won't look as pretty, but a) it's nothing another coat of paint won't cure, and b) they still work fine.

I feel bad that you got gypped on the item description, but you still have a perfectly functioning set of pulleys. I understand why you're upset, but I don't see why you're as upset as you are.
Actually STEEDA has told me that they would not recommend installing the pulleys in that gouges out of the pulley that are that large could have warped the pulley and could therefore be very destructive if installed. THAT is why I'm upset. I paid for a USED paper weight. Now BACK to the question at hand??? NEW?!... in ANY WAY NEW?? I think and most other intelligent people think not as well.

Point being? This MF user takes advantage of those on this forum that trust, us as an enthusiast community expect that either of us would understand the disgust involved with misrepresenting part condition. AND that everyone here should know that if you pay strictly from the classifieds here, involving Paypal, ALL the seller has to do is prove delivery and the buyer has NO RECOURSE WHATSOEVER. The seller could have send me a box of rocks and I'd be just as screwed as I am now. Paypal ONLY looks at delivery confirmation for non-marketplace website sales. Everyone here should know that before the buy another part in the classifieds. Are there trustworthy people here, of course. Are their frauds selling parts lesser than they say they are... I guaranteed it.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Your right, there is no buyer protection from EBAY if there is delivery confirmation, Ebay claims no responsibility for quality of items, unfortunatley it is a live and learn lesson.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6605stang
Great, so I made a mistake?! From trusting another MF member to be honest about what they are selling... wow. My apologies for my mistake.

Actually STEEDA has told me that they would not recommend installing the pulleys in that gouges out of the pulley that are that large could have warped the pulley and could therefore be very destructive if installed. THAT is why I'm upset. I paid for a USED paper weight. Now BACK to the question at hand??? NEW?!... in ANY WAY NEW?? I think and most other intelligent people think not as well.

Point being? This MF user takes advantage of those on this forum that trust, us as an enthusiast community expect that either of us would understand the disgust involved with misrepresenting part condition. AND that everyone here should know that if you pay strictly from the classifieds here, involving Paypal, ALL the seller has to do is prove delivery and the buyer has NO RECOURSE WHATSOEVER. The seller could have send me a box of rocks and I'd be just as screwed as I am now. Paypal ONLY looks at delivery confirmation for non-marketplace website sales. Everyone here should know that before the buy another part in the classifieds. Are there trustworthy people here, of course. Are their frauds selling parts lesser than they say they are... I guaranteed it.
Look, we all know that you're upset and we understand and sympathize with you. However, after looking at the photos those pulleys do look "Like new". Hell, my BRAND NEW Steeda Pulleys had dings like shown in your photo (minus the scuffing near the Steeda emblem, which appears to be only cosmetic. This is why I specifically mentioned that although Steeda's products are great that their packaging sucks!

I don't see that these pulleys would be warped or anything like that. As I said as long as they are mechanically sound then you should be good. I wish I could tell you a good way of checking them out before putting them on but it's totally up to you. I wouldn't let a couple dings and scratches hold me back as long as I felt they were otherwise good condition.

There is no need to take it out on everyone else, just because you didn't get the answer you were looking for though. The seller told you "Like new" and you didn't ask for any pictures. I sold a pair of Loudmouth mufflers to a member, and clearly informed him of how long they had been on the car and that they weren't going to be new. We only lived a couple hours away so we met up and made the exchange. I think you just saw "new" and figured you'd be getting something brand new, where as "like new" actually means slightly used.

Sorry, don't mean to sound like an *** but just trying to help you see it from an outside view. I have bought parts from vendors and have been ****ty, for brand new parts, so I understand when you buy something and it's not what you expected. Try to get a hold of the seller, and see if you can work it out in a mature manner... If not, then truly sorry for your loss but don't give up on the forums completely just because of one person.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:20 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Look, we all know that you're upset and we understand and sympathize with you. However, after looking at the photos those pulleys do look "Like new". Hell, my BRAND NEW Steeda Pulleys had dings like shown in your photo (minus the scuffing near the Steeda emblem, which appears to be only cosmetic. This is why I specifically mentioned that although Steeda's products are great that their packaging sucks!

I don't see that these pulleys would be warped or anything like that. As I said as long as they are mechanically sound then you should be good. I wish I could tell you a good way of checking them out before putting them on but it's totally up to you. I wouldn't let a couple dings and scratches hold me back as long as I felt they were otherwise good condition.

There is no need to take it out on everyone else, just because you didn't get the answer you were looking for though. The seller told you "Like new" and you didn't ask for any pictures. I sold a pair of Loudmouth mufflers to a member, and clearly informed him of how long they had been on the car and that they weren't going to be new. We only lived a couple hours away so we met up and made the exchange. I think you just saw "new" and figured you'd be getting something brand new, where as "like new" actually means slightly used.

Sorry, don't mean to sound like an *** but just trying to help you see it from an outside view. I have bought parts from vendors and have been ****ty, for brand new parts, so I understand when you buy something and it's not what you expected. Try to get a hold of the seller, and see if you can work it out in a mature manner... If not, then truly sorry for your loss but don't give up on the forums completely just because of one person.
I swear, I don't even know where to begin with this post. It's people like you, defending these losers, that make this situation even worse. If you're intending to get me riled up even more over this, chalk one up for yourself. You "sympathize" with me and then fault me for not requesting more pictures? That makes all this my fault? BTW, what photos are you looking at? These are in no way shape or form like new. Chips, gouges, scratches, wear patterns... what more do you need to see for these to be classified as new? Would they need to be a mashed up ball of steel?! Frankly, you agreeing with this idiot makes me certain that I'll make a mental note to NEVER buy anything from you as well. Your definitions of condition are completely out of whack. LIKE NEW does NOT = SLIGHTLY USED. LIKE NEW is a term oft used to reference a product that has been purchased brand new, but was either not used or was removed from the packaging and then promptly returned the the original packaging with no period of use in that time. I've a respectable Ebay business for 5 years now with 1000+, 100% feedback and I can tell you that ANY respectable ebay, Amazon, Overstock, HalfDotCom, etc., seller will tell you that LIKE NEW is only reserved for items that have NEVER seen use or abuse of any kind. It is the one tier below BRAND NEW to signify that its has at some point left the original packaging, how is in the ORIGINALLY pristine condition.

For the record here is the Amazon.com definition of "LIKE NEW" -- NEVERMIND that FACT that he also listed them as BRAND NEW --

Amazon.com Condition Guidelines for products qualifying at "Everything Else":
"Like New: [b]An apparently untouched product, in perfect condition.[\b] The original plastic wrap may be missing, but the original packaging is intact and pristine, and instructions are included. [b]There are absolutely no signs of wear.[\b] Suitable for presenting as a gift."

Can you find a stated definition of LIKE NEW that states the contrary? I would like to see that.

And frankly, I completely disregard YOUR assertion that the pulleys are okay. What qualifies you to state they are okay when the manufacturer themselves says not to install them. I'd be a fool to take your advice over theirs. And for the record, I'm not "taking it out on everyone else". If this happened to someone else here, I'd want to hear about it. I'd want to know which member screwed with the trusting nature of another member. I'd want to know that contrary to most peoples belief here, there is NO buyer recourse for sales gone wrong on this site. In no way shape or form am I saying this is the fault of the this site. I'm not bashing this site for it being that way, I'm simply stating the facts for those to consider before they buy from the classifieds again. Was I TOO trusting, probably. Would I caution someone before they buy from the classifieds again to fully understand the risks involved, absolutely.

By the way, the "comparison" of your exhaust sale tale is so far from applicable to this conversation I struggle to know where to begin. So.... You stated to your buyer that these were previously installed and that they "weren't going to be new". Great, Bravo. That's EXACTLY what my seller DIDN'T do. He said they were BRAND NEW or LIKE NEW... how much different could these 2 situations be?! And yes, you are right, I saw NEW and expect new... I saw BRAND NEW in the listing heading... so WHY WOULDN'T I expect them to be BRAND NEW?! Seriously?! You really didn't even read the original post did you?

I too apologize for coming off so stark raving pissed about this. But frankly this thread was intended to be rhetorical. It was intended to give further exposure to the a-hole that screwed me on this and advocate to others that they have to consider that they will have NO recourse in a similar situation. Contrary to popular belief, Paypal will NOT be of ANY help to a Buyer purchasing a product in that classifieds on this forum -- that is a FACT.

And yet another completely unapplicable comment you made about buying crappy parts from Vendors... if they are any vendor affiliated with this site or accept any form of credit card, if you get crappy parts you can return them. You can't do that with d-bags that sell you junk here. Apples to oranges. Complete different scenarios. And thanks for your advise on tying to contact the sell, but AGAIN, you obviously didn't read any of this before you decided to spout off from your high horse. I DID try and contact him... he did not respond... I TRIED to file a claim with Paypal... THEY denied if because this is a non-marketplace website... There, you caught up now?

I'm not giving up on this forum. I'm giving up on predatory low-lifes that screw other trusting members on this community of those that are all passionate about the same thing, our cars. If nothing is sacred, the integrity of the area in which we buy, sell and trade parts for these cars, still should be.

Did I say DO NOT PURCHASE IN THE MF CLASSIFIEDS!? NO! DID I trash talk MF in anyway?! NO! You can curse me for flaming this guy and advocating to all that they have to take more caution that I did OR risk losing it all, but if you ask me, I'D WANT TO KNOW when crap like this goes down on this site. I'D WANT TO KNOW who the non-trustworthy people are. I'D WANT TO KNOW what the misconceived perceptions of "buyer protection" are with the monopolist Paypal.

Go ahead, blame me in this... flame me back, whatever... the poll shows how the REST of the viewers feel. By the way, you're only one that voted NEW. Whats that tell you?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Used on the car or used as a paperweight, either way they aren't brand new. False advertising. Sorry for your misfortune
Old 08-23-2010, 12:30 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alec231236
Used on the car or used as a paperweight, either way they aren't brand new. False advertising. Sorry for your misfortune
Thank you. 13 to 1, Used to New, right now by the way... Could that be anymore telling?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:33 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Alright, time to bite again.

My examples were just to show that 1) Forum members can still be trusted, and 2) Even vendors sell you ****ty stuff, and it took me MONTHS to get my money back from that. We are screwed daily by everyone trying to get rich off of everything and anything.

Anyway, you are right. I did not click on the link, I only read this thread and at no point in time you mentioned contacting the seller. My bad?

Now after I clicked the link, I see someone asking about the TB, requesting more pics... sounds familiar. I'm not being cocky, and again it does suck that you aren't satisfied but any time you buy something from anyone other than a vendor it would be a good idea to ask for more pics that's all I'm saying.

Looking at the one picture he did offer, does indeed show the same wear marks on the WP Pulley as you have.

I'm not in any way siding with him so I don't know why you are coming off insulting me, but if you feel the need to vent and take your anger out on me then that's all you. When I mentioned you taking it out on everyone else, on several posts of members offering their opinions you instead attacked them. Myself included.

I apologize if MY idea of "Like new" isn't what you or Amazon.com think. I'm sorry but if a product has never been used, it's still considered "New" to me. If I walk into a store and try a jacket on... I've worn the jacket, does that make it like new? I should get a discount? Again, not trying to come off as a smart *** just trying to prove my logic of thinking and if you don't agree with that then I apologize.

Taking in ALL the facts that have been shown, you receieved the product as shown. If the ad said "slightly used" would you still have purchased them? And I'm also curious on what you said to Steeda for them to tell you "not to use them" because again from the pictures you showed us it doesn't look like they are a pile of metal.

You posted this to show us that there are scammers on the forums, got it. If I was the seller and you weren't satisfied then I would do what needed to rectify the situation. I really don't know what else you expect from us other than us trying to offer our opinions and suggestions. Take it, be angry with it, do whatever you have to.

Also, a little more investigation... The guy has under 200 posts and about 175 of them are selling/buying stuff. Might tell you something.

Quick Reply: What say you, ARE THESE PARTS NEW?