Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Saleen vs Vortech Which is better

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:10 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joutcelt
Hey stealth how much power do u lose when your heat soaked. U dont lose all power with a non intercooled sc do you.
hmm.. not sure.

On a fresh run (cold), I ran a best of 12.5@108mph, but can run a 12.8@105mph on a decent launch after a 15-20 minute cool down between runs.

On a heat soaked run I can still pull consistent 13.0@103.

Compared to a CAI/tune only run (13.3/13.4), so I still see improvements when it is hot.

These are all on street tires, 4.10s, auto.

With some DRs on 17s, I am pretty confident that I can hit some very low 12s (12.2/12.3). The 4.10s are GREAT off the line, but the street tires have a hard time hooking.

I highly suggest some sort of intercooler, because it does run HOT...

Last edited by stealth_GT; 08-18-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM
ronniegibson1978
2nd Gear Member

me personally i would go with the saleen blower...but i would make sure to get a good pulley size. for a non intercooled vortech you're looking at 3500 plus installation...when u get the intercooled one, you're pretty much in same price range as the saleen...and personally i want the tq curve instead of the hp curve and go with a 3.55 or 3.73 gear
Old 08-18-2010, 05:13 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ronniegibson1978
me personally i would go with the saleen blower...but i would make sure to get a good pulley size. for a non intercooled vortech you're looking at 3500 plus installation...when u get the intercooled one, you're pretty much in same price range as the saleen...and personally i want the tq curve instead of the hp curve and go with a 3.55 or 3.73 gear
the problem here is i already have 410's and im not willing to change them out for a sc. I guess if i was a mechanic and could do it on my own then sure but im not. So it seems the vortech is a better option
Old 08-18-2010, 05:14 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
hmm.. not sure.

On a fresh run (cold), I ran a best of 12.5@108mph, but can run a 12.8@105mph on a decent launch after a 15-20 minute cool down between runs.

On a heat soaked run I can still pull consistent 13.0@103.

Compared to a CAI/tune only run (13.3/13.4), so I still see improvements when it is hot.

These are all on street tires, 4.10s, auto.

With some DRs on 17s, I am pretty confident that I can hit some very low 12s (12.2/12.3). The 4.10s are GREAT off the line, but the street tires have a hard time hooking.

I highly suggest some sort of intercooler, because it does run HOT...

So i know u lose some power but can still feel it pull even when its soaked right. I mean the sc is still making more power just not as much b/cof heat soak right.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:39 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Boost is just increasing the density of the air. Cold air is denser than warm air. The warmer air gets, the more it expands and the less boost you see.

Atmospheric pressure is ~14.7psi. So even if you have 1lb of additional boost you're still making more power than if you had no boost.

But yes, heat is the enemy of boost. Frankly, heat is the enemy of a NA engine as well.

My supercharger pulley is rated at ~12-13lbs of boost. On a 90 degree day with 140 degree intake temps that was reduced to 10.5 psi because of heat soak. Without an intercooler, you can expect to run those temperatures regularly depending on your weather conditions. When I'm out on the highway and have good airflow, my intake temps are usually less 70-100 degrees depending on outside temps because my intercooler brings those intake charges back down after compression. Remember, any time you compress air it's going to heat up so even 60 degree air is going to jump up after the compressor. You want that intercooler to get it as close to 60 degrees again as you can.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:56 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joutcelt
So i know u lose some power but can still feel it pull even when its soaked right. I mean the sc is still making more power just not as much b/cof heat soak right.
yup, there is still power but it looses power overall. Say, when it's fresh, it'll be right about 380whp.. when it's cooler, it'll be 350-360whp at the least.

If you get an intercooler, air to air or better yet- Vortechs air/charger cooler (air/water) it'll be more consistent. I was told numerous times that because of our zero humidity up here and cooler temps than the in the lower states (75 at the most, 65 average) I wouldn't need an intercooler. I should have picked up one up like my gut told me to! lol

With an air to air + smaller pulley@10 psi boost on 90 octane gas (only one we have as premium) I'll be running consistent power@420-430whp with minimal loss. IATs hover right around 105 from what I hear, compared to the friggin' 240 it is now...
Old 08-18-2010, 07:01 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

thanks for all the replies guys i appriciate it
Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Boost is just increasing the density of the air. Cold air is denser than warm air. The warmer air gets, the more it expands and the less boost you see.

Atmospheric pressure is ~14.7psi. So even if you have 1lb of additional boost you're still making more power than if you had no boost.

But yes, heat is the enemy of boost. Frankly, heat is the enemy of a NA engine as well.

My supercharger pulley is rated at ~12-13lbs of boost. On a 90 degree day with 140 degree intake temps that was reduced to 10.5 psi because of heat soak. Without an intercooler, you can expect to run those temperatures regularly depending on your weather conditions. When I'm out on the highway and have good airflow, my intake temps are usually less 70-100 degrees depending on outside temps because my intercooler brings those intake charges back down after compression. Remember, any time you compress air it's going to heat up so even 60 degree air is going to jump up after the compressor. You want that intercooler to get it as close to 60 degrees again as you can.
Hey man thxs for dumbing it down for me. I'm going with a Vortech and was torn between buying a intercooler or not. I did and I'm glad..Thxs again man...
Old 08-19-2010, 05:51 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud

+1^^^
With an SC regardless of mfg, an intercooler is a must. Heat is the enemy. As for the 4.10's, they are the way to go IMO, love mine. Personal opinion get the saleen, put a 3.4 or 3.2 pulley on it, some DRs, gears, clutch, 60lb injectors, CAI kit, MoSaleen pulley kit, a little suspension work, good tune, and a track time you will have a mid 11s car or better.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:07 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Hey man thxs for dumbing it down for me. I'm going with a Vortech and was torn between buying a intercooler or not. I did and I'm glad..Thxs again man...
No problemo .

Quick Reply: Saleen vs Vortech Which is better