Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Catch never has anything in it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:52 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Default Catch never has anything in it.

Since installing the new forged 302 stroker short block I haven't had to empty the catch can at all. Before every few hundred miles I was getting some oil in there but now nothing. I guess that's a good thing, I'm not sure why there's nothing in it.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:16 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

That's kinda odd.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:44 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

good reminder! i just filled up a small dixie cup.....it's been quite awhile since i drained it, so i think it's normal accumulation.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:18 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Mine always has some in it. I empty once a month. Weird yours has nothing. All hoses connected properly?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:49 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Very strange...!! I have about a teaspoon full, once a week
Old 08-18-2010, 10:14 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Sure your lines aren't routed backwards? My catch only lets fluid go one way.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:02 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

where is your catch can and how is it plumbed? With a centri, you don't have a real vacuum source for PCV and if you are tapped into the manifold (post TB) for the drivers side, you have a higher pressure when in boost than the crankcase, meaning you could very well be increasing crankcase pressure slightly when in boost (the PCV Valve is one way but not a perfect check valve). So if you don't do a lot of cruising at steady speeds where you have vacuum for a while, you are not going to get much oil in the catch can. On the other hand, if you just have a catch can and breather connected to the valve covers with no PCV system (not hooked to intake on either side), then you should see some oil, particularly if you are under boost a lot, since that is when the crankcase pressure will be the highest, and therefore the most amount of atomized or evaporated oil exiting the valve cover and getting stuck in the catch can.

So if you have a PCV system and just an oil seperator, depending on how you drive will determine how much oil you see. On the other hand, if you have just a catch can and breather setup, you should see some oil collecting unless it is not hooked up right. Once the new engine is broken in, you won't have as much blow-by, so crankcase pressures won't be as high as they would in a more worn motor, but still you should see some.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:58 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkersten
where is your catch can and how is it plumbed? With a centri, you don't have a real vacuum source for PCV and if you are tapped into the manifold (post TB) for the drivers side, you have a higher pressure when in boost than the crankcase, meaning you could very well be increasing crankcase pressure slightly when in boost (the PCV Valve is one way but not a perfect check valve). So if you don't do a lot of cruising at steady speeds where you have vacuum for a while, you are not going to get much oil in the catch can. On the other hand, if you just have a catch can and breather connected to the valve covers with no PCV system (not hooked to intake on either side), then you should see some oil, particularly if you are under boost a lot, since that is when the crankcase pressure will be the highest, and therefore the most amount of atomized or evaporated oil exiting the valve cover and getting stuck in the catch can.

So if you have a PCV system and just an oil separator, depending on how you drive will determine how much oil you see. On the other hand, if you have just a catch can and breather setup, you should see some oil collecting unless it is not hooked up right. Once the new engine is broken in, you won't have as much blow-by, so crankcase pressures won't be as high as they would in a more worn motor, but still you should see some.

I do have a pvc system and do mostly steady cruising with an occasional romp, the engine is broke in. I know its plumbed correctly, its the same as when I had the stock engine. I never got alot then either so maybe its my driving habits.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:27 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

can you see any oil in the hoses on either side of the valve covers?
Old 08-19-2010, 04:13 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
can you see any oil in the hoses on either side of the valve covers?
No not much. This is how it's routed on my Moroso catch can, side inlet to the cam cover, bottom inlet to intake manifold. The pcv valve is in the line to the cam cover with the ball towards the catch can.

Quick Reply: Catch never has anything in it.