Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

C&L Racer Intake / SCT Tuner Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Default C&L Racer Intake / SCT Tuner Issues

Hi all,

My life is a little crazy at the moment and pretty much anything sets of my anxiety and paranoia, the reasoning behind this is I am getting married in about 30 days from now but getting back to the point of my topic

I recently installed my C&L Racer CAI kit and used the latest pre-programmed SCT tunes on a X3 tuner to tune my car to a 93 octane tune, I've been running this setup for a few weeks now and over the past few days I have got the feeling that the car is running hot and the cooling fan is always on, I don't know if it's just my imagination but I feel as though the temperature gauge is flickering from side to side.

I just filled up with some 87 so am going to go back to stock but I wanted to ask if anyone had experienced anything similar or if I am just going crazy.... is there a fan that is always running?

If I can give any more specifics please just let me know.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:28 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Update:-

So The car had a tiny bit of 93 left in it so I filled up with 87 I then returned the car back to stock and then retuned it 87 octane with the C&L Racer intake these are the only two options I adjusted everything else is as per the pre-programmed SCT settings.

When I took the car out for a drive the idle was really bad, to the point I felt that the car was going to stall, i.e. between 0 and 250RPM, I believe the default RPM option in the tune is 750RPM.

I pulled over turned everything off and let it sit for a few minutes, started the car back up and it was completely different, the idle sat around 750RPM when the car was stopped when running everything seemed just fine.

I still feel as though a fan is running that wasn't there before but I am starting to think that was all just in my imagination but the idle does have me concerned so I will take the car out again tomorrow and see how it runs.

What I am starting to wonder is if the 93 octane I filled up with was just poor quality, I'm assuming if the gas was bad quality the aggressive nature of the 93 tune would be thrown off?

Could the small amount of 93 mixed with half a tank of 87 have something to do with idle? As the car runs through the last of the 93 it cant cope with it as it is tuned to 87?

The car has to go in for a state emissions test and inspection next week so I am going to be putting the tune and airbox back to stock, I feel this will be a good benchmark to compare against.

Any one have any thoughts?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:47 PM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

I am ready to pull the trigger on the same items but this kind of stuff scares me. The car is only two months old and I use it everyday.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:13 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

lol well I am by no means an expert and honestly no one else I have spoken to nor C&L nor SCT have reported anything similar so I think it's me worrying with a low grade of 93 octane so try not to be too put off by me When I was running the 93 tune and intake the car was crazy fast, if I can get past my issues I want to go with a Bama tune for max power.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You're running the CAI with the stock tune? That right there is a no-no. I think you need to take some valium or something. For a guy dealing with some normal life events, you sure sound like you need to take a deep breath and get real.

No, having 93 octane with a stock 87, custom 87 or any other lower octane tune won't cause any problematic symptoms. If you're running the canned SCT tunes, I'd suggest that you get custom tunes from Brenspeed or AM. There IS a setting for the fan that you can adjust yourself but I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to and hearing.

Last edited by Nuke; 08-27-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

You need to get a tune from a place like American Muscle or Brenspeed.

DONT use the SCT tune.

The Brenspeed tunes have the fans set good on the tunes.
I've never had a AM tune but I am sure they do too.

The box SCT tunes are not what I would ever use.
The SCT itself is great.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:55 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

whats your fan set at?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:39 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Interesting... I didnt realize the canned SCT tunes sucked that much, I know they aren't as good as an AM / Bama or Brenspeed tune but I figured I would be fine with them.

I also didn't realize that fan was an adjustable option, I would have to assume it is set at whatever the default option is.

I guess I will go back to my stock box for a week or so and then buy the 3 pack of tunes from either Brenspeed or AM... anyone have any preferences?
Old 08-28-2010, 02:26 PM
pitch
2nd Gear Member

I've run the Brenspeed tunes and they are great. Never tried the Bama's but have heard a lot of good things. Right now I'm running tune by Blow by Racing. It seems hotter than the Brenspeed. But I've had no problem with any of them. Just give them your mods and they will handle it.