Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My observations after the return to stock performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:45 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Default My observations after the return to stock performance

The supercharger is off, the engine is bone stock again, and the suspension is all back to stock as well. After a little mistake in wiring the MAF back in, I got a small break in the weather to take the newly de-performanced mustang out for a drive.

First thing I noticed of course is the massive lack of power. Over time, you get used to having over 500 crank horsepower, and it doesn't seem unnatural any more. Losing over 200 horsepower is a dramatic drop, and extremely noticeable. That one seems obvious, but it still came as a little bit of a surprise. When the supercharger first went in for me, however, the first run wasn't that great because the tune was all wrong. The next time I drove it was impressive, but soon after it really died out because the intercooler pump wasn't functioning. By the time I had the bugs worked out and was getting full power, I never saw a dramatic jump in power. This time, however, going back the other way is as dramatic as it gets. Putting it in 3rd at 35 mph and punching it is a waste of energy.. you would be better off opening the door and trying to "Flintstone" it to a higher speed. It really put the power band with the supercharger into perspective, and it really made me miss the supercharger.

Second thing I noticed was the amount of body roll.. not just side to side, but front to back. Before I had not only replaced the upper and lower arms in the rear, but also added the relocation "anti-squat" brackets. Throwing springs on top of that and in comparison to stock it is as if I don't even have suspension - just four wheels and a chassis. The first time I punched it in first and felt the back drop by probably 4 inches and the front come up nearly 3 inches, I busted out laughing. The susequent braking to slow down was even more hilarious as the nose took a steep dive and the back end came up to follow it. The ride was super smooth, however, and that is where the tradeoff is..

The suspension did surprise me as I never thought it made that much of a difference before I installed it all. I had so much power before that the anti-squat brackets didn't seem to do that much for traction, but now I can see how much they really were doing. The stiffer springs made for a rougher ride, but handling was so greatly improved..

Another thing of note is the exhaust sounds FAR louder to me. Perhaps the whine of the supercharger drowned out the exhaust note (from the drivers seat anyway), or maybe it is just that the note was higher pitched with the increased compression from the supercharger, but now the exhaust sounds more throaty and deeper than ever before. The torque arrestors aren't really noticeable unless you shift from 2nd to 3rd under WoT, so I didn't notice the lack there.

Bottom line is I just don't have the memory of when the car drove like this, so it was a new experience for me. A week ago, in a thread here about selling the supercharger, the question was posed: if I had it to do over again, would I.. My answer last week is different than this week.

Perhaps having the money back in the bank changes my view on things, but if you asked me now, based on today's experience with the stock setup while having the supercharged and modified car fresh in my mind, I would say it is all worth it. Even given the loss of money when forced to sell it all, the modifications really made it worth it. The springs made it drive like a sport car instead of a family car. The rear suspension made a big differece in how it acellerates and stays level while braking or turning. The supercharger, aside from coolness factor, added such a significant amount of power that it became a whole different kind of car. I think like most people, I was looking at numbers when coming to a decision about performance improvements - what kit gives the most power, how much will this cost over that one, which scores more in the looks department, and which one will be best in a race. The real way to look at it, however, is in how much it will change the driving experience. By all means, if you have a stock Mustang, find someone who can give you a ride in his supercharged pony, and if at all possible, find someone who will let you drive. Be warned, however, that after driving it, going back to stock just won't be the same.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:15 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I have the same problem when I jump from my bike to most cars.

If you leave in the mountains, it's not as bad because the most important is handling really.
But here in FL, where it's all straight and flat, if you don't have the oompff factor, it becomes boring.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I'd imagine that thing must feel reeeeallll slooooowwww now. I couldn't bear to de-mod mine and just sold it intact as-is. I lost more money, but in the end I'm glad I did it that way.

As you can see, I found a new "toy" to play with for a while and got it for a steal, so this ones way more affordable and manageable. It reminds me of my old '07 that I regret parting with, so I'm excited to have it. Its very odd that I'm more excited about this bone stock 2010 than I was a blown 09, but I guess I'm just crazy like that.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:35 AM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for sharing this. It should help others with understanding the potential and the tradeoffs.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

De mod?

I don't understand this word....
What.
Language.
Is.
This.

There is ONLY MOD lol!

Take off parts to sell car and parts is different.
Swap mods and Change mods I understand this language.
De mod this is a strange and alien word that has no business here!

LOLS
Old 09-02-2010, 11:38 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
De mod?

I don't understand this word....
What.
Language.
Is.
This.

There is ONLY MOD lol!

Take off parts to sell car and parts is different.
Swap mods and Change mods I understand this language.
De mod this is a strange and alien word that has no business here!

LOLS
"Un Mod"?
"Make Un Fast"?
How about "return to family car status"?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Going up in power is noticeable. Going down in power is even more noticeable. That has been my experience. I get into a 90hp 22 year old car and drive to work. To me, a bolt on mustang feels like a rocket ship compared to that car. I'm glad I don't DD my car and that is one of the reasons why. It's nice to have an econobox that you are more used to. Makes you appreciate the paltry 300hp.

I'm looking forward to the additional power and just the cool factor of a boosted system. That said, I'm also just a tiny bit afraid. I have good summer tires but with the 4.10 gears I think I'll have to take some time to get used to how the car reacts so I avoid hitting the limiter or spinning out. Drag radials are of course being considered for a next summer mod.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by dkersten
"Un Mod"?
"Make Un Fast"?
Cannot decipher this.

Cannot compute.....

Un Fas er grealkdoijlkdflkfijflejofdifjssfjeoeje...
sssssssssstttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *smoke*

hehehe
Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM
geocomp
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for sharing! Sorry you had to go through "returning to family car staus" with your mustang. That is a nice writeup and it should really help the guys/gals that are on the fence about doing certain mods to their car. I know for me I am ready for new suspension components to stop the rolling over effect when going around turns and stopping.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:51 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkersten
"Un Mod"?
"Make Un Fast"?
Sounds like devil-speak to me....

HE'S A WITCH! STONE HIM!

Quick Reply: My observations after the return to stock performance