Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

When to Change Anti-Freeze?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 AM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

Default When to Change Anti-Freeze?

I have a 2005 Mustang GT with 10,500 actual miles on it...

I garage the car during the cold and snowy winters, and do not have that many miles so when should I change the anti-freeze on this car?

I know the manual says, (change anti-freeze at 100,000 miles) but the annual miles I drive would mean that I would probably NEVER change it because I will never hit the magical 100,000 mile mark...

Your advice is greatly appreciated...

Dave
Old 09-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Most of the articles I've read for the 100,000 mile antifreeze replacement also state 5 years. It's not that big a deal to do or have a shop do it; just be sure you or they reverse flush. Going a bit beyond the 5 years isn't going to hurt anything so I wouldn't rush out to have yours done yet but keep it on your radar screen. Many shops run offers on cooling system flush/refill so keep your eyes open if you decide to go that route.

BTW, Dave, my g/f and I recently moved from the NW burbs (Lake Zurich).
Old 09-09-2010, 10:16 AM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

Default Anti-freeze?

Originally Posted by Nuke
Most of the articles I've read for the 100,000 mile antifreeze replacement also state 5 years. It's not that big a deal to do or have a shop do it; just be sure you or they reverse flush. Going a bit beyond the 5 years isn't going to hurt anything so I wouldn't rush out to have yours done yet but keep it on your radar screen. Many shops run offers on cooling system flush/refill so keep your eyes open if you decide to go that route.

BTW, Dave, my g/f and I recently moved from the NW burbs (Lake Zurich).
Thanks you the good advice. I think that the 5 year mark was more important since I do not have the miles but I do have the years on the car...

I do not like to take the car to shops for work because most of them do not care about the work they do or the condition of your car...

I garage my car for the winter so I think a spring flush will be good...

Since you live in Lake Zurich, we should meet sometime (I'm in Chicago near Wrigley Field)...

Do you go to any show cars or cruise nights?

Dave
Old 09-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

On mine the thermostat took a crap temp was running hot so when I swapped it out the coolant had to be drained. Fairly simple procedure but if it would have been just changing the coolant would have taken it to some quick lube place to have it done cheap. Unless you just want to screw around and change your thermostat for the heck of it. Not like you can really tell what temp your coolant is with the stupid gauge that comes with the car. Shoot I would have never known I was running 20 degrees hotter if it werent for my Aeroforce gauge giving me the true readings. But if it were me a car that is 5 years old even if it has low miles could still use a coolant change to flush out any crap in the system and add some Water Wetter to keep the temps a bit cooler.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 AM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hootna
On mine the thermostat took a crap temp was running hot so when I swapped it out the coolant had to be drained. Fairly simple procedure but if it would have been just changing the coolant would have taken it to some quick lube place to have it done cheap. Unless you just want to screw around and change your thermostat for the heck of it. Not like you can really tell what temp your coolant is with the stupid gauge that comes with the car. Shoot I would have never known I was running 20 degrees hotter if it werent for my Aeroforce gauge giving me the true readings. But if it were me a car that is 5 years old even if it has low miles could still use a coolant change to flush out any crap in the system and add some Water Wetter to keep the temps a bit cooler.
Soumds good... I do that... Thanks, Dave
Old 09-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by discofan

I garage my car for the winter so I think a spring flush will be good...

Since you live in Lake Zurich, we should meet sometime (I'm in Chicago near Wrigley Field)...

Do you go to any show cars or cruise nights?

Dave
My g/f and I garaged both Stangs (and my boat) for the winters. However, I took a temp assignment in Mississippi and we're dealing with the heat instead of the cold now. We did did one of the car shows in LZ last summer and both of us walked off with trophies.