Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clunking Sound after new suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Lucrettert

Default Clunking Sound after new suspension?

Since I have put in my new suspension upgrades I have been getting a loud clunk when shifting, this happens when I put in first, second, third, and reverse but nothing in fifth. This will happen even if i just move the shifter into different gears when at a stop with the clutch in.

The mods I recently did were UPR upper control arm(adjustable), UPR Lower control arms, QA1 shocks in the rear and Eibach Pro kit springs all around. I am missing the UCA bumpstop but I doubt that is the clunking noise.

Is this just the stiffer suspension just transmitting more noise up into the cabin or is there another problem going on? Any insight will help

It is an 09 GT btw with only a CAI + brenspeed 93 tune and line lock as other mods.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:06 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I would make sure everything is tighnted down. After I installed new shocks and struts, I would get some clicking, especially going over bumps. I didn't have everthing tightned down enough and the stock motor mounts were going out. I replaced them with GT500 mounts. After that everything was GTG.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Lucrettert

Originally Posted by gman73
I would make sure everything is tighnted down. After I installed new shocks and struts, I would get some clicking, especially going over bumps. I didn't have everthing tightned down enough and the stock motor mounts were going out. I replaced them with GT500 mounts. After that everything was GTG.
I did have that when I first did everything and the UCA was not tight enough but I got rid of that noise when i hit bumps and its fine now and just makes noise on shifts.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lucrettert
Since I have put in my new suspension upgrades I have been getting a loud clunk when shifting, this happens when I put in first, second, third, and reverse but nothing in fifth. This will happen even if i just move the shifter into different gears when at a stop with the clutch in.

The mods I recently did were UPR upper control arm(adjustable), UPR Lower control arms, QA1 shocks in the rear and Eibach Pro kit springs all around. I am missing the UCA bumpstop but I doubt that is the clunking noise.

Is this just the stiffer suspension just transmitting more noise up into the cabin or is there another problem going on? Any insight will help

It is an 09 GT btw with only a CAI + brenspeed 93 tune and line lock as other mods.

if you can be sitting at a stop with the clutch in, and its still making the sound, I would say it has nothing to do with the suspension and you have something wrong with your transmission.

The only thing that might be enough to make the noise is this. Do you have a upper control arm with a spherical end or a poly bushing? For either of them, seance there adjustable, whats your pinion angle set to? Also, how did you tighten them down. If you do not have two wrenches up there at a time, and tighten them against each other, then you end up stretching the mount over and binding it. That can be very noisy and anything through the drive line will sound like its happening inside your car.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Lucrettert

Originally Posted by JDWalton
if you can be sitting at a stop with the clutch in, and its still making the sound, I would say it has nothing to do with the suspension and you have something wrong with your transmission.

The only thing that might be enough to make the noise is this. Do you have a upper control arm with a spherical end or a poly bushing? For either of them, seance there adjustable, whats your pinion angle set to? Also, how did you tighten them down. If you do not have two wrenches up there at a time, and tighten them against each other, then you end up stretching the mount over and binding it. That can be very noisy and anything through the drive line will sound like its happening inside your car.
Yea I can be sitting at a dead stop and change gears with the clutch in and it makes noise still.

I can't remember how i tightened them but I believe I was only using 1 wrench I will be trying to get it into the shop tomorrow to make sure I did everything right. And for pinion angle I will get it tomorrow to make sure I am 100% but I think its set to -3
Old 09-13-2010, 08:49 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

did you have a magnetic angle finder? If you do you know.. lol. If you used one wrench on the adjuster, I would look there.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Lucrettert

Originally Posted by JDWalton
did you have a magnetic angle finder? If you do you know.. lol. If you used one wrench on the adjuster, I would look there.
Yea I have a magnetic angle finder it was just set last week and my memory is crap lol and the uca will be the 2nd thing I check after the pinion angle tomorrow so I am hoping this is a simple fix of something I just over looked
Old 09-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Lucrettert

Well I checked the pinion angle today at lunch and it is set to -3 but the alignment bay isnt open yet but will be at 2 to check with the UCA to make sure I tightened it right so I am hoping that is the problem and will make this an easy fix if not I am lost with this and not sure where to go next