MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   HI. New here... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/616845-hi-new-here.html)

redneckromeo 09-13-2010 11:40 PM

HI. New here...

Hi, im new and currently in the process of vehicle shopping. Im in the process of selling my silverado and hopefully before this weekend that should be done. I started out with looking at 12 vehicles and now im down to 2. The 2011 mustang gt 5.0, and the 2010 challenger SRT8. I just need to find which one I like better. Its a super tough decision and if I could afford both. Both would be in my driveway yesterday lol. My first car was a 1995 mustang GT convertible 5 speed, so mustangs hold a special place in my heart. I would still be driving it too if some drunk redneck had not ran the red light and ran right in to me. But I walked away from the accident, and he in a chrysler minivan went to the hospital with a broken arm, and shattered rib cage. So I always feel lucky about that no matter what. Anyway the big pros of the mustang is we have an awesome ford dealer who has been wonderful through out my shopping experience. Where the dodge dealer has been less than helpful. The pros of the mustang is its the best bang for the buck, and I love ford the best out of the big three right now. They are the most stable company and I like having a company I know I can trust behind the product. The cons are its a bit smaller inside than a challenger and the one I want would have to be ordered which would take 6-8 weeks and I would be car less. The challenger I want is sitting at the dealer and is optioned exactly the way I want. Loaded and a manual. But Its about 5k more and the dealers are less than friendly. Which turns me off. So im just browsing this site and the challenger site for info. Trying to get some facts to base my decision off of. But its not an easy one, At all.

No dealer around here has loaded manual mustangs in race red. Just automatics. I will never drive an automatic sports car. They have race red manuals, But the only option is the 3.73 and I want all the other bells and whistles. :icon_tree:

redneckromeo 09-13-2010 11:45 PM

for some reason I cant edit my post above. I was going to add the following...

The pros of the mustang are that its a 2011 and It would be a current model year vehicle, and the latest model ford has (i know the boss is coming but I cant afford that anyway) so I would have no buyers remorse. Where the challenger is a 2010 and they have a new engine coming out. Where I dont think I would get buyers remorse. But its no longer the latest and greatest. But the new engine from dodge is only 50 hp more which im sure could be added with a few simple bolt on's. Anyway. The only thing the challenger has ahead of the mustang for me is its looks and rarity. I see tons of mustangs, but not alot of challengers, and the attention it brings is kinda cool. But that alone is not enough for me to run right to the dodge dealer. I still appreciate the big 5.0 in the mustang, and the fact it looks pretty damn sharp as well. Plus the interior of the mustang is Light years ahead and looks so much cooler.

kevinmalec 09-15-2010 08:34 AM

Have you test drove them to compare?
I would prefer the 5.0 Mustang over the Challenger SRT8. The Challenger is a good bit heavier than the Mustang and the Mustang is a lot more agile than the Challenger. I watched a video on Youtube that compared the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger.

Good luck!

GTjoe49 09-15-2010 08:41 AM

Here is the non-committed answer of the week: You can't go wrong with either one.

Now here is the answer from a Mustang owner: Assuming straight line performance is a push....The Mustang handles better, is built better, has a better interior and is THE pony car icon.

All the automotive press is currently gaga over the 5.0, jump on the bandwagon. You will not regret a single moment.

BigDinTexas 09-15-2010 12:17 PM

Seeing that this is a Mustang board, you will probably get a lot of "Mustang" answers, however, I agree with the previous statement that you can't go wrong with either. They are both sex wheels. I have to admit that the Challenger looks more retro, and the rear of the 10-11 Mustangs is still taking some getting used to... However, the Mustang is still overall a more beautiful/powerful looking car. Performance wise, I haven't been in either, so I can't help there.

Definitely go test drive both... Those rides may make the decision for you.

Good luck and let us know which you prefer..
Don

Blacksmoke 09-15-2010 02:02 PM

Challenger looks awesome on the outside.
The inside looks like garbage to me.

Mustang out performs it no contest.
Mustang looks better on the inside.
I think they could have done better on the outside of the 10 and up GT.
(namely the rear). But I'm not knocking it and it looks great.

Both are cool as coolaid.
I'd take the 5.0 tho.

kevinmalec 09-15-2010 03:42 PM

Here you go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMktl...next=1&index=7

Nuke 09-15-2010 04:32 PM

The Challenger is a pig. Too much weight. Many have been unimpressed.

Panzer6 09-15-2010 06:20 PM

Blacksmoke was right on the money.

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke (Post 7201026)
Challenger looks awesome on the outside. Very much.
The inside not so much.

Mustang out performs it no contest.
Mustang looks better on the inside.
I think they could have done better on the outside of the 10 and up GT.
(namely the rear). But I'm not knocking it and it looks great. You get used to it. Sorta.

Both are cool as coolaid. Agreed.
I'd take the 5.0 tho. And I did.

I think the Challenger is a fine car for what it is, but I didn't see the value for the dollar I saw in the GT. That's before taking into account the $5-$10K "market adjustment" they've added to each and every Challenger's window sticker on the lot nearest my house. That's right, they wanted to start price negotiations $5-$10K above the MSRP on the Monroney. Needless to say that blew me off their lot faster than a level 5 hurricane.

I've had my '11 GT for two months already. I don't miss the BMW I traded in on it AT ALL. I really like this car and I had never owned a mustang before.

redneckromeo 09-16-2010 12:14 PM

I could care less at all about how it goes in a corner. The only track it will ever see is the drag strip. I have driven the challenger R/T since they say the SRT is only for people ready to buy that day (WTF DODGE), and have driven the 4.6 liter mustang as the 5.0 was not a manual. So far that just made the decision harder.

My thoughts on both were the challenger was more comfortable, and was actually amazed at how much better the interior looked than in the pics. But better does not mean great. The mustang clearly wins in the interior as it looks awesome. The ONLY con I can find at the moment with the mustang is its a bit smaller (ie less leg room) IM 6 foot 2 so leg room counts here in a daily driver. This wont be a weekend car, and there are alot of them out there. But neither one of those cons seem to be enough to make me not like it. Both are light years ahead of the crapmaro. Which is funny coming from me since I used to be the biggest GM guy.

the biggest pro to the mustang and this is very important to me and may be the deciding factor is the dealer and company behind the product seem to be MUCH better than the challenger. AS driving them does not help me as far as which one I like better. lol. But the local ford dealer (beach Ford in Va beach) has been awesome, and I like the ford company as a whole, by not taking government bail outs, and generally improving their products to be amazing (raptor and super duty are bad ass).