Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

help, changing auto trans fluid...wont take fluid, stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:24 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Default help, changing auto trans fluid...wont take fluid, stuck

Was following the DIY on changing the auto trans fluid and now it wont let me add more than 3 quarts. I drained prolly 4 to 5 quarts. I read in the DIY post somebody stated you need to check it with the car warmed up. Do I need to start the car while on jack stands and let it run for a little bit? I am confused and completly covered in fluid, the sh#t was spillling out all over the place.....a freaking mess. Somebody help an brother out.

thanks patrick
Old 10-03-2010, 11:10 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...cs-no-56k.html

this the guide you are using?
Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Yes that was the one. I figured it out, you gotta start it up and run it through the gears. By doing this I was able to add more fluid. What a freaking mess this job was. Fluid just spills everywhere. Using a hand pump on your back is such a hassle. My tube kept sliding off the pump and then I would spray fluid all over the driveway. The entire design of that pan with the fill adaptor is sh#t. Ford screwed us with that one. I might have to get the PA deep pan so I never have to fill the pan that way again. The only way I know there is enough fluid in there is by what I took out. That's not very comforting.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I had thought about doing tranny change myself but i was glad that i didnt and just took it to the dealership. The local mechanic couldnt do it b/c apparently ford made it so that u have to have a special tool. I read through the DIY and it looked like a real PIA. Plus I was told without the proper or SPECIAL tool u would not get all the fluid flushed
Old 10-04-2010, 09:43 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

808, you're fearless.. ever thought of becoming a mechanic??

It's funny because big jobs don't really intimidate me, but the little things often get the best of me (trans flushes, hard to reach hoses, stripped heads in odd places etc.)
Old 10-04-2010, 11:35 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

I just went through this with mine. It is a pain to make sure the level is good. The adapter tool is $20 from any tool truck. Draining and filling is the easy part. Getting the proper amount in there, well, thats another story. I dropped the pan and changed the filter. Put back in 4 qts of Amsoil ATF, and some fluid was coming out the hole. plugged it up and drove it. Didnt quite shift right in certain conditions. So, thinking I had too much in there, I took out the center plug and let it come out until it stopped. This only made it worse. After a couple times of putting more in, I finally have it right.
How much did I exactly put in you ask? Wish I could tell you. Between what got drained out, or spilled while putting the small plug back in, and the small increments I used, it's hard to know for sure. But bet me, next time I will be measuring what comes out. Unless somebody does it first and posts exactly how much to put back in.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:15 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

how much the dealer charge for this...seems like its well worth it!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:23 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

The key is to keep track of what you take out and taking account. what spilled all over the driveway and you! Getting car level was tricky too. I lowered my back end twice. I got the tool from amazon.com. The job isn't hard just a pia on your back with oil everywhere.
Stealth.....not fearless just willing and wanting to learn how to fix sh#t. Thanks though.....let's see how that SC install goes.

Last edited by 808muscle; 10-04-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:37 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Did you end up changing the filter also? I read in that linked post that taking it to the dealership, they only swap the oil. Sounds like a PITA getting oil all over and swimming in it, though I'm not sure if there are any negative effects to not swapping the filter. It did read that it was just a metal mesh, perhaps the machine pushes all the gunk out?
Old 10-04-2010, 01:39 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Stealership soaked me up for 85 bucks. I have heard of guys paying a 100. easy decision for me b/c i hate to mess with stuff thats a pia. Plus im not a really mechanically familiar with stuff. I can do the easy stuff. Brakes, oil changes, delete plates. But doing a supercharger install or cam install u can sure count me out. Im afraid i will mess **** up and not be able to fix it. So Kudos to u guys that are willing and get it done. It always makes for interesting readying and a guy can learn from ones experiences even if he is to afraid to do it himself.

Quick Reply: help, changing auto trans fluid...wont take fluid, stuck